Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 07:23 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,001,150 times

Advertisements

I remember years ago of buying Swanson TV dinners and then Banquet and back in the 70's or before they were pretty good, but now

They are not worth the $$.

Too salty and like nothing to them.

Maybe a Marie Calendar's or something else might be good but the "cheaper" ones I find are trash

Do you have a favorite brand etc?

HW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 07:48 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,291,663 times
Nope. Not a one. Years ago I bought something called "salisbury steak" GREAT DOG FOOD!

Old 09-06-2011, 07:49 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Oh, tv dinners! Well, they have come along way...some of them.

I buy on occasion, Cedarlane products ie veggie lasagna & spinach pie (spanokopita)...and maybe a Lean Cuisine in the blue/white box...meaning made with whole wheat pasta or brown rice and low fat...or cheese ravioli.

That's it for me...

Old 09-06-2011, 07:56 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,588,814 times
Wow - I remember the TV dinners with their little compartments for cherry cobbler, turkey and stuffing, mashed pos, etc. Those were a joke even to a kid - yet we ate them from time to time!

I don't usually buy frozen dinners now but did enjoy several servings of Stouffers spinach souffle when I was recovering from mouth surgery last year. Mmm mmm good - and soft! I'd try their noodles romanoff again for old times sake.

Oh, and some years ago I loved the marie callender chicken pot pie - 2 crusts! But they are ridiculously high in fat and sodium so I just can't bring myself to go there anymore.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:00 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
i used to love the little brownie when i was a kid!

we eat some frozen meals, but not really the fried chicken, mashed potato, corn, little brownie variety. a lot of those skillets (bertolli, macaroni grill, voila) are pretty good for an easy and fast meal.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:03 PM

61,665 posts, read 87,041,175 times
I am not a friend of TV dinners, but I do have few in my freezer in a case of emergency ( sick, tired, lazy, bad weather, no time to cook etc)
The most popular are just yucky for me, but I can tolerate Amy's Products - Amys Kitchen : Natural and Organic Foods
Tabatchnick Tabatchnick Fine Foods , and Kashi Kashi : Our Food : Entrees
I do have a lots of my own cooked dinners in the freezer.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:09 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I am not a friend of TV dinners, but I do have few in my freezer in a case of emergency ( sick, tired, lazy, bad weather, no time to cook etc)
The most popular are just yucky for me, but I can tolerate Amy's Products - Amys Kitchen : Natural and Organic Foods
Tabatchnick Tabatchnick Fine Foods , and Kashi Kashi : Our Food : Entrees
I do have a lots of my own cooked dinners in the freezer.
theres currently a .75 coupon for kashi frozen products available at coupons.com. doubles to 1.50. they had a sale on the at a&p but i couldnt find them anywhere or i would have gotten a couple.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:11 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
I keep a small supply of frozen entrees at work for the days when I walk outta the house with my brown bag lunch left sitting on the counter, so I'm not tempted to run to fast food. They're my emergency lunches at work. Other than that, I don't bother.

The Lean Cuisine are acceptable...I tend to prefer the blue-packaged "spa cuisines" line because they use whole grain pasta and brown rice, which are less offensive to me. I prefer the vegetarian meals, because Lean Cuisine's meats are always kinda spongy and off, to me.

The Kashi frozen meals are excellent, as frozen meals go, especially the "Mayan Harvest Bake" one that has plantains and pepitas...a nice change of pace. But unless I catch them on sale, I don't get them, because they are about $6-7 per meal at my grocer, and that's a bit steep for a single serving of frozen food.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:29 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,810,449 times
Didn't know they still made t.v. dinners... I have a NightHawk microwave dinner on occasion ...no t.v. involved!

Old 09-06-2011, 08:42 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
I like the "Marie Callander" ones. But I have scaled way back on them, I hardly buy them. I am better off with an omelette or tuna salad for dinner. Even a can of chili is cheaper, and more food. I had a BLT tonight, fresh garden Beefsteak tomatoes, thick peppered bacon, fresh whole wheat bread, crisp Romaine--compare that with a "tv dinner"! Not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink