Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 01:30 PM

965 posts, read 1,884,337 times

Advertisements

The condo I live in has rules against using gas or charcoal grills on our balconies, so I am buying an electric grill to use because there are those days when I want to grill some chicken, steak, or ribs.

I wanted to know if there was any kind of way I could just soak some wood chips, wrap it in some foil and let the smoke work its way through the grill before I throw the meat on, or is there some other process.

Let me know what the best idea is, thanks.

Also, is there a way to smoke wood chips in an oven?

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 09-10-2011 at 01:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 02:45 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times
Find a smoker box that works with your grill. Lots available on line. However I'd imagine that the smoke would probably be against the rules if your complex doesn't allow charcoal or gas.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:53 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,077,688 times
Is this in California? If so, I believe their ban is largely about the fire risk associated with the grill (has to be a certain distances from any wood structure) and not the smoke. But how do you generate smoke without fire?

Old 09-10-2011, 02:57 PM

look up electric smokers.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
are you talking about a grill or a smoker? They are 2 different things: an electic smoker actually does the long time smoking and they are wonderful. Yes, Bulldogdad is right, just google electric smokers. We have one and love it. An electric grill is different. I don't think there is any way to use wood chips with an electric grill.

BTW, to user_ID, there is still a difference between an electric grill and a saute pan. For one thing the meat stays juicier and the extra fat is removed or much of it anyway. The flavor is better as well, plus the surface is larger so you can grill more and if you put it on a deck or patio the heat stays out of the kitchen. Is it the same as an old fashion charcoal grill or even a gas one? No, but it is very different from sauteing.

Nita

Old 09-12-2011, 12:04 PM

Well maybe the OP will tell us what kind of electric grill they have. That might be more helpful.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:32 PM

We just had steak and grilled veggie last night. Our electric grill is outside, hubby loves to use it and he thinks, for him, it works better. BTW, I am not talking a George Foreman grill that you place on your counter..

Nita

Last edited by Beretta; 09-16-2011 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: quoted post was deleted

Old 09-13-2011, 08:17 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,091,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon Delight View Post
The condo I live in has rules against using gas or charcoal grills on our balconies, so I am buying an electric grill to use because there are those days when I want to grill some chicken, steak, or ribs.

I wanted to know if there was any kind of way I could just soak some wood chips, wrap it in some foil and let the smoke work its way through the grill before I throw the meat on, or is there some other process.

Let me know what the best idea is, thanks.

Also, is there a way to smoke wood chips in an oven?
------------- I've looked into this recently as I also only have a balcony patio. You could use soaked small wood chips (not big chunks) in an open metal box or tray or sawdust-fine dry wood in a foil packet. I havent yet found a tray sized for my grill, or the flavored sawdust in my area, but will try it soon I'm sure. For years I used to have an open topped tabletop grill which was ok, but it wouldnt get hot enough to really cook anything thick. Topping with foil helped a little. This year I bought a larger covered grill on a stand (identical to the square charcoal type but electric) at Walmart (about $70) and am not very happy with it, but I couldn't afford the really high end ones. It doesnt get that hot either, max sems to be about 250-300, less with a lot of meat. Cooking times are 2-3 times a charcoal grills, and it's hard to get any real char on the food. The grill surface was unadjustable, so I removed it and use the disposable screen grills, which I can place closer to the heating element. Works great for seafood, fajitas or thin meats, bone-in chix and thick cuts still take a long time. I recently plugged all the vent holes (except the drain) with foil, I'll let you know if that helps next time I grill.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
------------- I've looked into this recently as I also only have a balcony patio. You could use soaked small wood chips (not big chunks) in an open metal box or tray or sawdust-fine dry wood in a foil packet. I havent yet found a tray sized for my grill, or the flavored sawdust in my area, but will try it soon I'm sure. For years I used to have an open topped tabletop grill which was ok, but it wouldnt get hot enough to really cook anything thick. Topping with foil helped a little. This year I bought a larger covered grill on a stand (identical to the square charcoal type but electric) at Walmart (about $70) and am not very happy with it, but I couldn't afford the really high end ones. It doesnt get that hot either, max sems to be about 250-300, less with a lot of meat. Cooking times are 2-3 times a charcoal grills, and it's hard to get any real char on the food. The grill surface was unadjustable, so I removed it and use the disposable screen grills, which I can place closer to the heating element. Works great for seafood, fajitas or thin meats, bone-in chix and thick cuts still take a long time. I recently plugged all the vent holes (except the drain) with foil, I'll let you know if that helps next time I grill.
actually yours sounds very much like ours (we didn't get it at Wal Mart) but is was a similar price. We wanted to start low and see how it worked. I guess it just depends, cause ours cooks too fast. We have learned if it says 7 to 10 minutes for steak (rare) 7 minutes is right and so on. The thing that is missing of course, is no real char flavor.

Nit

Old 09-15-2011, 11:18 AM

965 posts, read 1,884,337 times
No, it is not the same as a sauté pan (I've eaten food from them before), but thanks for playing.

Thanks to those who actually gave me useful advice. Whoever asked, it's a Charbroil brand Electric Grill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink