Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 06:55 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,159 times

Advertisements

The only time I ever eat at a chain restaurant is for convenience when traveling, and then it's limited to fast food (see one from the freeway, exit and eat, go on my way) or for breakfast when I'll do sit-downs.

These are not dining experiences. They're food procurement and consumption missions.

For the pleasure of dining out, a large chain is never worth the effort. Small chains are another story. My town has a great little Mexican restaurant, one of four or five located within a thirty-mile radius. Small chains like that often retain the hands-on attention of the owner(s), who might not always be present but are periodically around and overseeing them.

But larger chains? Forget it. I'll take the one-off cafes and diners and restaurants every single time (and there's always one or more of those places for every chain location).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 09:52 PM

17,567 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Anybody here ever eat at Johnny Rockets? I love the 50's diner vibe in those restaurants and the burgers are always wonderful. It's a shame they aren't more common.
Too expensive is my opinion. We have one here that's part of Frankie's Fun Park.. A go-kart/arcade type place. Food is OK to good, even, but it's just too expensive for what it is. I feel the same way about Steak and Shake. The food is OK and for the prices they charge, I expect better than OK.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:02 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
These are not dining experiences. They're food procurement and consumption missions.
I'll take "Arbitrary and Subjective Distinctions" for 800 Alex.

I've eaten at local restaurants that were good and bad experiences, and chain restaurants that were good and bad experiences. I know it's fun to romanticize the local restaurant as being something better just by virtue of not being a chain, but that isn't the case. It depends.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:41 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Anybody here ever eat at Johnny Rockets? I love the 50's diner vibe in those restaurants and the burgers are always wonderful. It's a shame they aren't more common.
Yes. One in the mall near me, and one in Atlantic City. The diner vibe feels real and the food is good..

Old 01-04-2018, 11:17 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'll back you on most everything else. Olive garden and Cheddars I haven't been to more than once.. While I wasn't overly impressed by them, they weren't bad at all.

But the two above.. now.. We have to qualify that "Your mileage may vary".. I've gotten really good food at BK before, but in general.. It's rather crappy. For a fast food burger place, I'd put Wendy's up there, though they seem to have gone downhill lately.. I would have considered them to have the best chicken sandwich a few years ago, even beating out Chik-Fil-A. But BK.. You want some bad food.. Order the chicken nuggets when they're not on sale. Horrid. The Whoppers are usually fine.. The regular burgers.. Meh. Better than McD's no question.

Now Hardee's.. I will not argue anything outside of breakfast, but they're top-2 on breakfast. Bojangles and Hardee's are the go-tos for breakfast. Often, you can get a decent burger there, because they do so little business outside of breakfast that you wind up getting the food cooked fresh.. And fresh, they do have decent food. But they tanked so bad in the mid to late 90's.. I'm shocked they're still in business. I've told this story before, but I worked for Flagstar which was Jerry Richardson's company that franchised them in the southeast.. they'd call us up to close a restaurant and pull the equipment and tell us to meet in the parking lot at 10am, because they'd want to squeeze that last breakfast service out of them. Back in the day, when they did chicken.. Again, if you got it fresh, that was some dang good chicken, and the Peach Cobbler they had was incredible.

One that i'd put on the horrible list would be Jack in the Box. I haven't gotten ANYTHING good there. Not breakfast, not dinner. Just cheap and nasty.
Bojangle's has a good breakfast. For me, it's not as convenient to my office. I try to avoid fast food biscuits. I had been eating several a week. I'm now making breakfast at home.

I got burnt out on Wendy's years ago due to it being the only late fast food place where I worked. They used to have a salad bar and removed it.

Cook Out is probably the best regional burger chain in this area.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:20 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,865,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
...I try to avoid fast food biscuits...
Make some of these biscuits. You'll thank me afterwards. We first had them in Charleston in October. Now they are a regular in our house. The cream cheese elevates these biscuits to a new level.

Callie's Buttermilk Biscuits

I'll give just about any restaurant a chance, no matter how it looks. We've found some wonderful hidden gems and we've had some terrible experiences at national chains.

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 01-04-2018 at 03:29 PM..

Old 01-05-2018, 05:44 AM

27,141 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
The only time I ever eat at a chain restaurant is for convenience when traveling, and then it's limited to fast food (see one from the freeway, exit and eat, go on my way) or for breakfast when I'll do sit-downs.

For the pleasure of dining out, a large chain is never worth the effort. Small chains are another story. My town has a great little Mexican restaurant, one of four or five located within a thirty-mile radius. Small chains like that often retain the hands-on attention of the owner(s), who might not always be present but are periodically around and overseeing them.

But larger chains? Forget it. I'll take the one-off cafes and diners and restaurants every single time (and there's always one or more of those places for every chain location).

Totally Agree - smaller family businesses and small chains are usually much better than massive chains and multinationals.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:44 AM

We have American type casual chains in the UK such as:

Frankie and Bennys: Frankie & Benny's New York Italian Restaurant

TGI Fridays Restaurant & Bar – View Menu & Book a Table Online

Coast to Coast American Restaurant and Bar

Home - Jackson + Rye Brasserie, Bar & Grill

Ed's Easy Diner: Home

OK Diners | The 50s American Diner

And even Denny's has now finally arrived -

Denny's UK

Whilst New Yorkers are even taking their beloved Pizza to London

NY Fold London - Pizza With An Authentic New York Taste

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-05-2018 at 07:25 AM..

Old 01-05-2018, 06:52 AM

Although you can find chains represeting most cusines now, such as Caribbean and Thai chains -

Turtle Bay UK - The Best Caribbean Restaurant & Bar in Britain

Giggling Squid | Staggeringly good Thai food

Busaba Eathai | Thai Restaurants in London and St Albans

Thaikhun: Thai restaurant, Thai food, street food style

As well as a more eccentric chains -

Home • Cosy Club • Cosy Club

As well as the more traditional -

Browns Restaurants - Dining Experiences with Ambience & Character

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-05-2018 at 07:24 AM..

Old 01-05-2018, 08:46 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,457,268 times
Love:
Country Kitchen (reminds me of college days)
Perkins
Denny's
Ruby Tuesdays

Like:
Outback Steakhouse
Longhorn
Bob Evans

Dislike:
Chili's
IHOP (junk specialty pancakes - marketed to kill kids)
Cheesecake Factory (the calories on all their items would do you in - I get paranoid eating there)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink