Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 10:19 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,079,710 times

Advertisements

Stuffed cabbage if you want something healthy.

Sauerbraten people like, schnitzel, dumplings with cabbage and meat.

You want something healthy, but if you want them to experience part of that culture, make them some Kase spetzle. Basically spetzle or you can use other short pasta, cheeses on top, some onion, and bacon, and then just bake in in the oven. It's so damn good.

You can also make a bean soup if you want to be healthy. Look for a german or hungarian recipe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 10:23 AM

5,749 posts, read 10,339,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Plus OP you are a Cubs fan and dont like German Food?!?

Whats up with that?
I know, I know.... I am breaking my family's heart. I feel like I have tried lots of German food at my German family reunions (held in the heart of German Wisconsin), at various German fests, and at some well-known German restaurants. And I also have a VERY German last name.

I can't tell you how many times my in-laws have shown up with homemade sauerkraut and some fancy sausages (with a "-wurst" suffix) I'm supposed to prepare for them (after I, of course, hang the meat around my kitchen for a few days so it can cure - GROSS and not a good decorating look). I can't tell you how many times I've had to politely listen to their strong opinions on how to properly boil brats before grilling. Though I had to draw the line at the sausage casing machine they offered to buy me for Christmas.

I feel like if I can develop some sort of semi-healthy "go-to" dish around the few ingredients I like (e.g. spatzle), everyone will be overjoyed.

Did I mention that my spouse grew up with this food and LOVES it. I can't figure out how he has always been so healthy and fit with this diet.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 09-14-2011 at 11:08 AM..

Old 09-14-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
Sauerbraten is one of the few german dishes I like.
Thanks! I'll try that...

Quote:
Oh yeh, I was just coming back to post BEER & pretzels!.
I do like beer & pretzels! Maybe I can make some sort of pretzel/beer combo dish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
Each region is known for special dishes, and ingredients/preparation vary widely across Germany, so don't judge German food on the basis of the stereotypical sausages and such. The eastern parts show a bit of Hungarian and Slavic influence; some western areas show French touches.

Perhaps a fun thing to do would be to try the various Swiss/Austrian/Germanic-influenced dishes of northern Italy? That would fuse the two sides of your heritage pretty well.
Great advice. I love Swiss, French, and Italian food and could experiment with fusion. There are also a lot of Swiss German in my family and I do like fondue with a good Kirsch and those rosti potatoes.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Yup. Schnitzel is like veal cutlet-italian for ya. I forgot that too, but lovvvveeee it.
Hasenpfeffer-no way! I raised rabbits for pets, and everytime my grandfather would visit he'd make me cry, saying, "UMMMM! Nice Hasenpfeffer." Jerk!
Forgot about Schnitzel. That is good. I will try not to think about the baby cow my parents bought us when I was a kid. A year later we had a freezer full of meat. Also made me cry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
How could anyone not like jaegarschnitzel with mushroom gravy and spaetzle with sweet and sour red cabbage on the side?
Apple strudel for dessert!
German on both sides of the family here, and grew up in a VERY German area of MO.
Not a big gravy person, but the other dishes sound great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
You want something healthy, but if you want them to experience part of that culture, make them some Kase spetzle. Basically spetzle or you can use other short pasta, cheeses on top, some onion, and bacon, and then just bake in in the oven. It's so damn good.
Thanks! The spetzle sounds good but I'd omit the bacon...

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 09-14-2011 at 10:59 AM..

Old 09-14-2011, 10:41 AM

23,410 posts, read 36,857,299 times
Healthy German Recipes - KitchenDaily

Margarita's International Recipes: Alsatian - Flammekueche

Baekeoffe (Alsatian Meat Stew) Recipe | MyRecipes.com

Alsatian-Brined Turkey with Riesling Gravy Recipe - Grace Parisi | Food & Wine

Alsatian Potato Pie - Martha Stewart Recipes

The cuisine of Alsace-Lorraine has quite a bit of French influence, one of the branches of my family hails from that area, lovely food!

Old 09-14-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Forgot about Schnitzel. That is good. I will try not to think about the baby cow my parents bought us when I was a kid. A year later we had a freezer full of meat. Also made me cry!

Not a big gravy person, but the other dishes sound great.
Schnitzel isnt schnitzel without gravy, serve it on the side.
Jaegarschnitzel is traditionally pork.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Healthy German Recipes - KitchenDaily

The cuisine of Alsace-Lorraine has quite a bit of French influence, one of the branches of my family hails from that area, lovely food!
LOVE that website. The chicken schnitzel and stuffed cabbage recipes are perfect!

Also, I've traveled in the Alsace region - loved the food and, especially, the wine. It's a beautiful area.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:50 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,079,710 times
Quote:
Schnitzel isnt schnitzel without gravy, serve it on the side.
Jaegarschnitzel is traditionally pork.

Funny we actually never have schnitzel with gravy. maybe on the potatoes or dumplings, but not the schnitzel itself.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
LOVE that website. The chicken schnitzel and stuffed cabbage recipes are perfect!

Also, I've traveled in the Alsace region - loved the food and, especially, the wine. It's a beautiful area.
The turkey recipe I posted with the Riesling gravy is outstanding!

Old 09-14-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
Funny we actually never have schnitzel with gravy. maybe on the potatoes or dumplings, but not the schnitzel itself.
Funny how things vary from region to region, isnt it?
My Prussian grandmother would never have dreamed of serving schnitzel without gravy on it.
Thinking back, I cant remember having it served to me without gravy when I lived in Germany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink