Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 02:54 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,156,851 times

Advertisements

How does one rid a microwave of strong smoke smell and yellow stain?
Someone tried cooking popcorn in our microwave for 20 minutes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 03:14 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,295,799 times
The yellow stain is perm? Don't know about that.
But to get the smell wipe with a rag of white vinegar. Then nuke a 1/2 cup for a minute or 1 1/2.
Leave in overnight. They say lemon juice does the same as well.
You can also place a couple of charcoal brickets in there when not in use. The plain kind. Not the ones with starter fuel on them.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:28 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,582,425 times
It's very hard to do. I had the same problem with someone burning popcorn really bad in my microwave. Nothing would fix it and I gave it to one of my kids. After years I can still smell smoke in it.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:38 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,766,952 times
We had a niece staying with us one time and she did the same thing. She was babysitting while we were out for a while and when we opened the front door, we thought the house was on fire. I think I just boiled a lot of water inside the microwave and let it sit for a while. Then wiped it down with baking soda, let that sit for a while, and repeated the process several times. Come to think of it though, I don't think we ever really got rid of the smell entirely. Thank goodness we were just renting and moved out about a month or two later!

Old 09-21-2011, 04:30 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
The yellow stain is perm? Don't know about that.
But to get the smell wipe with a rag of white vinegar. Then nuke a 1/2 cup for a minute or 1 1/2.
Leave in overnight. They say lemon juice does the same as well.
You can also place a couple of charcoal brickets in there when not in use. The plain kind. Not the ones with starter fuel on them.
What B4U said^^^^ I would use a big bowl that has a large surface area for the vinegar/water solution to evaporate. I use 50/50 vinegar to water in my micro in a 8 cup Pyrex glass measuring bowl. I fill it half way and bring it to a boil. I set the timer to let it boil for about five minutes or until about half has evaporated. Then I leave it sit for several hours while it cools off never opening the door. Then open and wipe down.

I do this about once a month as regular odor maintenance and for when the teens heat up lasagna or chili with out covering the plate.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:30 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,156,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
What B4U said^^^^ I would use a big bowl that has a large surface area for the vinegar/water solution to evaporate. I use 50/50 vinegar to water in my micro in a 8 cup Pyrex glass measuring bowl. I fill it half way and bring it to a boil. I set the timer to let it boil for about five minutes or until about half has evaporated. Then I leave it sit for several hours while it cools off never opening the door. Then open and wipe down.

I do this about once a month as regular odor maintenance and for when the teens heat up lasagna or chili with out covering the plate.
Thanks--will give this a try and see what happens. At least it's not a brand new microwave.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:02 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,201,832 times
This is all you need:

Give it time, it'll come out.

Awhile ago my wife decided she would try to manufacture lava at home by putting one of those frozen mini pizzas in that have the gray crisper tray and doing the time with an extra digit then going outside to water plants. I was sure that smell would never come out, but after enough time it just went away.

Last edited by slackjaw; 09-22-2011 at 07:20 PM..

Old 09-22-2011, 07:32 PM

61,740 posts, read 87,172,581 times
First try to get rid of the yellow stain with acetone ( nail polish remover), wipe out with water.
Then "microwave" a kitchen towel ( or a clean, new sponge) soaked in vinegar for 2-3 minutes. Wash out . Place a several sheets of paper towel soaked in vinegar overnight. Close the door.
Next day open the door and "air it" for an hour or two, then wipe out the inside with a paper towel moistened with vanilla extract - don't forget the top and the inside of the door.
Instead of placing baking soda, put some fresh grounded coffee in a flat dish and place it inside the microwave - keep it in for few days.

Sometimes the odor gets into the vents of the microwave. If this is a free standing microwave - take it outside to air. You can spray it all around with an Odor Remover like "Zero odor" or " Febreze". Let it dry. Repeat if needed.

Hope it helps!

Old 09-22-2011, 08:12 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
For the smell: Leave a dish of coffee beans inside overnight. (Whoops just saw Elnina suggested this.)

Oh, yeah. Tried to cook Easy Mac without the water.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:19 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,390,570 times
I've always heard that nuking lemon rinds in your stinky microwave will destink it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink