Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 04:21 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,115,633 times

Advertisements

Anybody else here depise salads, lettuce and tomato in sandwiches, etc.

I am rather open to new things when it comes to food, but some "old things" just get me. One of them is vegetables not mixed into something else, as odd as that sounds. For example, I simply CANNOT eat most salads - the papaya salad I tried was gustable, but most I find absolutely repulsive. Salads aren't the only things where this is an issue, however - I simply cannot eat the usual combination of lettuce and tomato in most sandwiches either, which of course automatically excludes the majority of decent sandwiches. When I hear "shwarma" or "döner kebab", I think "Ah, sounds like a yummy ethnic food" until I see a picture like Imageöner kebab.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia or http://cleanplateclubnyc.com/wp-conte (broken link)... ...I couldn't eat it.

The strange thing is that I absolutely love tomato-based sauces...I'm a "red sauce" Italian guy, and I love what the local curry house uses in the chicken tikka masala or paneer tamatari I sometimes get. And vegetables, when well integrated into the dish, for example, as part of a stew, or curry, etc., aren't usually a problem for me at all. I absolutely love lentils, hummus, or saag paneer (I think lentils count as vegetables). Except for broccoli (which is too big), vegetables in various Asian cuisines normally don't bother me either. It's just when they're meant to stand out on their own, or put into whatever plainly and simply, that I have difficult eating them. This is the case with salads, and also with shawarmas, doner kebabs, etc.

You might be thinking, "Why did he post this?" I didn't put it up just to rant. I'm curious if anybody else out there shares my sentiment, or have shared my sentiment but got over it, and if anybody who knows more than me about the science of flavors and taste in general could explain perhaps what it is on a more general level that repels me from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 04:56 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
I could understand it if you're talking grocery store, 'ripened' in the truck tomatoes but a BLT with garden grown Jersey tomatoes? Yummmmm!

Old 08-19-2007, 03:30 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,334,139 times
I like all the lettuce's except iceburg and I don't like tomatoes. As far as tomato based dishes, I like them but not with much sauce.
I don't like mixing hot and cold together; for example, a hot juicy hamburger with cold lettuce and tomato. Also here in Texas they serve bbq meat with cold bbq sauce and a nasty piece of white bread. I like either everything hot or cold but not mixed.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:38 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,183,249 times
My husband doesn't like tomatoes but I've managed to get him to eat this one:

Slice:
Valida Onion (or any type good eating onion, we prefer sweet)
tomato (good size)
Fresh Mozzarella, sliced

Grill the onion first, then the tomato, then layer the onion on top of the tomato, adding the cheese, Keep grilling til the cheese melts. I brush it with a marinade.

You start with grilling the onion since it needs the most grilling time.

He will eat this when he won't eat fresh tomatoes any other way. Liz

Old 08-20-2007, 10:57 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,675,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Anybody else here depise salads, lettuce and tomato in sandwiches, etc.

I am rather open to new things when it comes to food, but some "old things" just get me. One of them is vegetables not mixed into something else, as odd as that sounds. For example, I simply CANNOT eat most salads - the papaya salad I tried was gustable, but most I find absolutely repulsive. Salads aren't the only things where this is an issue, however - I simply cannot eat the usual combination of lettuce and tomato in most sandwiches either, which of course automatically excludes the majority of decent sandwiches. When I hear "shwarma" or "döner kebab", I think "Ah, sounds like a yummy ethnic food" until I see a picture like Imageöner kebab.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia or http://cleanplateclubnyc.com/wp-conte... ...I couldn't eat it.

The strange thing is that I absolutely love tomato-based sauces...I'm a "red sauce" Italian guy, and I love what the local curry house uses in the chicken tikka masala or paneer tamatari I sometimes get. And vegetables, when well integrated into the dish, for example, as part of a stew, or curry, etc., aren't usually a problem for me at all. I absolutely love lentils, hummus, or saag paneer (I think lentils count as vegetables). Except for broccoli (which is too big), vegetables in various Asian cuisines normally don't bother me either. It's just when they're meant to stand out on their own, or put into whatever plainly and simply, that I have difficult eating them. This is the case with salads, and also with shawarmas, doner kebabs, etc.

You might be thinking, "Why did he post this?" I didn't put it up just to rant. I'm curious if anybody else out there shares my sentiment, or have shared my sentiment but got over it, and if anybody who knows more than me about the science of flavors and taste in general could explain perhaps what it is on a more general level that repels me from them.
it may be a texture issue? i have some weird texture issues (crunchy peanut butter, mint chocolate chip ice cream, celery in stuffing, jello with suspended fruit) and your dislike may stem from that - sounds like it anyway.

i love all salads and tomatoes - love grilled cheese with a huge hunk of tomato!!!

Old 08-20-2007, 11:01 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,855,577 times
I'm there with you. I order sandwiches & burgers minus the veggies. Just the meat & cheese please. I like pickles a lot but not on my hamburgers. My husband does not care for tomatos, lettuce or onions on his but wants LOTS of pickles. If a sandwich does have lettuce on it for him he only wants a little bit. I'm also not a huge salad eater (why waste calories on that stuff ) but will eat a small amount of a salad from time to time. I also do the tomato based sauces but again only in small amounts - can not stand pizza that has more sauce than anything else, yuck. But I LOVE ketchup w/ certain types of fries. LOL!!!

Old 08-20-2007, 12:54 PM

8,306 posts, read 3,469,228 times
I love lettuce and tomatoes

Old 08-20-2007, 01:48 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,584,391 times
I like most greens and grape tomatoes- less bitter. Of course Roma and excellent tomatoes are hard to come by where I live right now (unfortunately). Everyone uses bland salad tomatoes that taste like cardboard.

I don't like most red sauces. Too strong/thick sauces I never really liked. Unless its Northern Italian, more wine, less starch...I never liked Sicilian pizza, my husband is addicted to it...

Old 08-21-2007, 04:46 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,762,445 times
I love them but my 19 yr old daughter gags at the thought of eating anything that grows especially a leaf. It is a real problem. No vegetables or fruits whatsoever. Can you imagine? And she is so healthy! Has been since a child. Once in a blue moon she will eat corn. That is it. As a baby and toddler she ate all of these things, and then just stopped. I have watched her try them..she literally gags and can't stop gagging.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:58 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,584,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
I love them but my 19 yr old daughter gags at the thought of eating anything that grows especially a leaf. It is a real problem. No vegetables or fruits whatsoever. Can you imagine? And she is so healthy! Has been since a child. Once in a blue moon she will eat corn. That is it. As a baby and toddler she ate all of these things, and then just stopped. I have watched her try them..she literally gags and can't stop gagging.
Anything that grows? so what does she eat?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink