U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 03:00 PM

323 posts, read 470,523 times

Advertisements

Some people think restaurants should pay waitstaff a fair wage then the tips would be an extra bonus vs some say the lady in the story below is right in the actions she takes for the non tippers

What do you think? - story below

Have you ever not left a tip at a restaurant or bar? It's the customer's right, but now a Memphis waitress is turning the tables on patrons who leave her with little cash.

MOD CUT

Copyright 2011 America Now. All rights reserved.

Last edited by linicx; 09-17-2011 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: TOS copyright violation.
Rate this post positively

Old 09-16-2011, 03:04 PM

40,558 posts, read 50,108,586 times
I think a person stiffs a server because they can. I have no problem with publicly calling them on it. It's like being a thief, except it's not illegal.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:23 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,812,502 times
However, leaving $0 tip while frowned upon, the quality of service is all opinion. So prove it right or wrong.

She says she provided perfect service, something must have gone wrong somewhere.

I tip regardless. Knowing they don't make much, and knowing they are human after all, they deserve to get paid. Until the day a robot delivers my food and makes a mistake, I'll always leave a tip.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:33 PM

5,758 posts, read 4,571,931 times
I think it boils down to expectations. She expects more than she is getting. If she is getting 6 bad tippers to every 7, then she is NOT providing a good service regardless of what she thinks or she is putting the 10% and 15% tippers into the BAD Tipper catagory.. That ratio should be reversed or at least closer to 50/50.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:03 PM

48,508 posts, read 87,939,170 times
My guess is she just thinks she gives good service at that tip rate.besides I am sure she gets request now for hert not to serve the form customers or have run off business.Likely it word gets around as it always does.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:00 PM

10,135 posts, read 24,527,114 times
My guess is that she was already a big nightmare that probably deserved to be fired on day one. I never leave a zero tip or even a small tip. I just don't come back for a year or so if anything was really horrible. By then the place or the bad person is usually gone. But for a person to get a lot of zero tips tells me she should have found another line of work and that her employer has no idea what is going on out in the front of the house.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:22 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,876,902 times
The only time i left zero tip was when our server just disappeared after taking our order & never came back. Not only did i ask the busboy to get our server, but I flagged down a waitress tending to a party in a private room to call someone. The manager came 15 min later & apologized & then had to retake our order!

Old 09-16-2011, 06:33 PM

24,497 posts, read 37,223,169 times
I'm all for leaving tip...but if she's going to call out people for being uneducated about hourly wages when she is uneducated herself... it's just stupid.

"I just want people to be educated on the tipping," she says. "Be educated about it and realize that we don't make minimum wage. That's the main thing. Just realize that we do make $2.13 an hour! We don't make anything, really."

Waiters go home with minimum wage or more.... which is $7.25/hr. She should read up on labor laws.

Now whether that is a fair wage or not is a different question. Personally, I feel how she is handling it to be immature, but if it works, great.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:46 PM

28,095 posts, read 31,926,064 times
I have purposely left a really tip 1 time. I was around 14 or so. On a school field trip, we went to Applebee's (we basically had free roam in the city all day during this field trip.).

There was some sort of special that said "if you don't get your food in 15 minutes it is free." There were 4 or 5 of us at the table. One guy had a stopwatch, and turned it on after we ordered to see what happened. Well sure enough, our food arrived in 18 minutes. (I can't remember how many entrees it was that were late, this was 20 years ago!) We confronted the waitress, with the stopwatch and the sign. The waitress said "well if you want that special, you need to tell me first!"

We were thought, well that makes no sense, why is there a placard on the table for this?

Needless to say, we left her a $.25 tip. For poor service, obviously. And assuming we were clueless because we were teenagers. I think the actual bill was for around $25 or $30.

Recently, I went to a restaurant that tacks on 16% gratuity/surcharge for all meals. (In CA, where I live, waiters do pretty well. They have to be paid minimum wage + tips. In some cities, the city has instituted a higher minimum wage of $11-12 and people still tip 15-20%). A little too late I realized we paid the waitress the exact amount on the bill. The waitress was great, I would have left more if I realized. Some people who ordered a lot were too hardcore on calculating it too the penny, and they didn't include their extra appetizers and drinks in their tally.

Another experience, we left a 10% tip to overall incompetence. And haven't returned to the place in 5 years. It was a disaster from the beginning.
1. Our server went to lunch after taking our orders
2. The new server kept bringing drink refills and never took away the cups. At one point we started stacking the cups because we were out of space. There were 10 empty glasses on the table. Literally.
3. Half of the party had salad with their entrees. We finished eating them and had been waiting around 30 minutes for our entrees. The waiter came back (a 3rd waiter because the 2nd one ended their shift) and said, can I bring the check? 2 people, in the party of 5 did not even have a plate of food in front of them.
4. Our food came out lukewarm. One plate had been under the heat lamp so long the coleslaw was hot. Yes hot. And the waiter said "why do you want a replacement." At this point we couldn't ask for new entrees since we had a movie to catch. We had allotted about 1:40 minutes for dinner, and by the time the food came we only had ~25 minutes left.
5. We complained to the waiter about the poor service (slow and cold entrees....). The waiter offered us free dessert. We said we needed to leave and would prefer to close out the check.
6. We received the bill. Full Price!!!! We were understandably annoyed after an all around crappy experience.
7. We called for the manager, and the manager told us the waiter said we did not want a discount because we were going to come back later to redeem a free dessert?!?!?!?! We said, not that is not acceptable, and asked the manager to reduce the bill. The manager looked at us like we were crazy and brought back an updated check.

We left 10% hoping it wold all go to the first, attentive waitress. Haven't been there since, even though it is very conveniently located.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:53 PM

28,095 posts, read 31,926,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm all for leaving tip...but if she's going to call out people for being uneducated about hourly wages when she is uneducated herself... it's just stupid.

"I just want people to be educated on the tipping," she says. "Be educated about it and realize that we don't make minimum wage. That's the main thing. Just realize that we do make $2.13 an hour! We don't make anything, really."

Waiters go home with minimum wage or more.... which is $7.25/hr. She should read up on labor laws.

Now whether that is a fair wage or not is a different question. Personally, I feel how she is handling it to be immature, but if it works, great.
Not in every state. For example, I know in South Carolina waiters are only paid 50% of the minimum wage.

Some states assume the tip counts towards the waitstaff meeting the minimum wage requirement. They assume that 10% or so of their wages will come from the tip. Here is a chart, on how tipped employees are compensated:
U.S. Department of Labor - Wage & Hour Divisions (WHD) - Minimum Wages for Tipped Employees (http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm - broken link).

Most states give waitstaff cash wages less than the federal minimum wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.