Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2011, 07:54 PM

526 posts, read 899,062 times

Advertisements

I LOVE this thread...one of the things I miss since I retired was talking about "what's for dinner"
well, DH still works (2nd shift) so I eat whatever. Tonite (and all week) I've been eating (and loving)

pan cooked cabbage with bacon

Old 11-09-2011, 08:28 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Chilli with cheese.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:45 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,547,427 times
Hi Debsi,
Here's how I made my turkey wings tonight. I don't usually use specific amounts of the ingredients, being more of the dash-of-this-and-a-handful-of-that style of cooking. But I've tried to give specific amounts here.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

6 turkey wings
2 t. salt
1 t. poultry seasoning
cayenne pepper
4 large cloves crushed garlic
1 large sliced onion
olive oil

The night before or early in the day, rub the wings by with a marinade of the oil and the seasonings above. Remove the onions and the garlic. Place the wings in an oven dish to bake. Bake until browned on both sides--approx. one hour.

Meanwhile, prepare the sauce:

Onion and garlic removed from the wings
4-5 sprigs of fresh thyme
a couple of sprigs of parsley
3 T. butter
2 T. flour
3 - 3.5 c. chicken or turkey broth
2-3 T. white wine (to taste)
white pepper (optional--depends on how hot you like it)

In large saucepan, saute onions & garlic in butter until translucent, then add parsley. Lower flame and add flour, incorporating well. Add broth and stir until liquid thickens a bit. Put this liquid in the blender for a few seconds. Put pureed liquid back in pan. Add the thyme and a bit of wine to the sauce & simmer on low fire. Add the baked wings and continue to simmer until wings have absorbed most (2/3) of liquid. Toward the end of cooking, adjust the seasonings to taste by adding a little extra salt, pepper and/or wine.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:53 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,651,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
Hi Debsi,
Here's how I made my turkey wings tonight. I don't usually use specific amounts of the ingredients, being more of the dash-of-this-and-a-handful-of-that style of cooking. But I've tried to give specific amounts here.

6 turkey wings.....
What kind of freakish turkeys do you have running around out there that they have six wings?!

Old 11-09-2011, 09:15 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,815,139 times
More grilled chicken boobies with fresh veggies.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:51 PM

38,897 posts, read 22,885,731 times
One of my local supermarkets was having a special on Marie Callender's frozen dinners (5 for $10.00), so I picked some up this morning. Tonight I had the fettuccine Alfredo, which came with a slice of garlic toast.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:43 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,474,595 times
Default Making soda

Thanks for the words of comfort guys! It was so good - I love mac and cheese. I'd prefer homemade mac and cheese, but sometimes that box stuff is like gold rain coming down from heaven.

Anyway, I bought a Sodastream maker from Kohls last month, and it is so easy to make your own sodas. You can buy each soda flavor separately, and there are tons of flavors, right now we have lemon-lime, root beer, cranberry, pink grapefruit, cola, and a Dr. Pepper-esque flavor. Here is the link to it: SodaStream Jet Home Soda Maker You can view the demo there too!

It has a CO2 filter that you can replace, and you just carbonate water, then add the syrup flavor, put the cap on the bottle, shake it once VERY slowly and there ya go! Fresh soda straight from the tap It tastes exactly like other major soda brands. To be honest though, every now and then I like the taste of regular Coke.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:12 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
Hi Debsi,

6 turkey wings
2 t. salt
1 t. poultry seasoning
cayenne pepper
4 large cloves crushed garlic
1 large sliced onion
olive oil

The night before or early in the day, rub the wings by with a marinade of the oil and the seasonings above. Remove the onions and the garlic. Place the wings in an oven dish to bake. Bake until browned on both sides--approx. one hour.

Meanwhile, prepare the sauce:

Onion and garlic removed from the wings
4-5 sprigs of fresh thyme
a couple of sprigs of parsley
3 T. butter
2 T. flour
3 - 3.5 c. chicken or turkey broth
2-3 T. white wine (to taste)
white pepper (optional--depends on how hot you like it)

In large saucepan, saute onions & garlic in butter until translucent, then add parsley. Lower flame and add flour, incorporating well. Add broth and stir until liquid thickens a bit. Put this liquid in the blender for a few seconds. Put pureed liquid back in pan. Add the thyme and a bit of wine to the sauce & simmer on low fire. Add the baked wings and continue to simmer until wings have absorbed most (2/3) of liquid. Toward the end of cooking, adjust the seasonings to taste by adding a little extra salt, pepper and/or wine.
Marie, that sounds so good! I printed out your recipe. I love chicken wings.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:59 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,651,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
One of my local supermarkets was having a special on Marie Callender's frozen dinners (5 for $10.00), so I picked some up this morning. Tonight I had the fettuccine Alfredo, which came with a slice of garlic toast.
I used to love Marie Callendar's Fettucini Chicken Alfredo with Broccoli. Then I read the label and didn't know which was going to give me a coronary first... the dinner or the information! When last I checked, it was about 65 - 70 grams of fat! They were considered 2 portions for the one meal and one portion was around 35 grams of fat. I hope they've changed their recipe!

Not trying to rain on your parade, dennismpat! I hadn't thought about those meals in years and your post triggered the memory!

Old 11-10-2011, 11:35 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,076,236 times
I don't have to cook tonight! Our city's Public Utilities department is doing a drainage project and today our water is shut off while they replace a pipe.

We're dining out tonight. That's okay by me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink