Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 12:38 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times

Advertisements

More take out tonight, 25 hours to go until DD's wedding......is it time to start drinking yet?

Old 12-30-2011, 01:23 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Cheese enchiladas with chili...

Old 12-30-2011, 01:24 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Ham and cheese on ciabatta, I think.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:28 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
Broiled crab cakes, baked sweet potatoes, sauteed spinach, and a salad.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
More take out tonight, 25 hours to go until DD's wedding......is it time to start drinking yet?
Have a wonderful and fun wedding.

Nita

Old 12-30-2011, 02:07 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
We just returned from dropping our company off at the air port, I don't have to cook for anyone except hubby and me, there is lots of bowl games, so dinner is a simple prime rib soup, cheese toast and sliced raw veggies.

NIta

Old 12-30-2011, 02:50 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
I made a 12 bean soup in the crockpot yesterday and added some cooked sweet sausage for the last hour, so that will be supper tonight with a green salad and some garlic toast.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:21 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
I've been so busy with my sick father that mealtimes along with everything else have suffered around here. Yesterday I made Lubby's recipe for sweet potato and rosemary frittata (posted in the recipe section). It was very good. I used Swiss cheese and I think next time I might prefer a Gruyere cheese.

Tonight it will be fresh red snapper for us, pan-fried, probably basmati rice, brussel sprouts and a lemon dill sauce.

I picked up some very simple ingredients yesterday, for today, and gave my mom instructions on how to cook it, so hopefully I won't be needed there.

If anyone has any low cholesterol, healthy recipes that might suit the tastebuds of someone whose idea of health food is smoked sausage and fried potatoes, feel free to DM me or post in the recipe section. I keep trying to think of recipes that have enough flavour to suit my carnivore father but that aren't high in cholesterol or salt and my brain is becoming fried. I can't think straight anymore.

I am not in favour of taking so much flavour out of food that he has no reason to live anyway, but I've just run dry on what to make that has some variety but is still healthy. He is continuing to have strokes, so diet is extra important now.

He does eat fish. He will not eat fish stews or soups. His idea of vegetables doesn't extend beyond corn and potatoes. But I have been making salads and adding a greater variety of vegetables to his meals.

Ideally, for his tastes, recipes should have a little bit of meat in them. And it would be great if someone had some recipes that call for a minimum of ingredients so that my mom could cook them herself (she is not a foodie or an innovative cook and sticks to basic recipes, like, um, meat and potatoes). Recipes with frozen vegetables would be good because they keep and we are out in the country, which means fresh vegetables mean driving some distance.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:49 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Aw netwit, that's bad news.

Back in September, I posted about a soup I make that your Dad might like.. it's very hearty but not that bad for you because it's a clear broth soup and it makes a lot of servings. I entered it in a calorie counter website once and it was only about 100 calories per serving.

"I like to make a soup with sliced fingerling potatoes, sliced smoked sausage, fresh green beans, seasonings, and chicken broth. Good with a jalapeno slipped in too, or some corn."

I'd also like some cabbage in this, and I've made it with regular diced potatoes too. I'm sure you could use frozen green beans. You could also lighten it up more by using turkey kielbasa.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:54 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I've been so busy with my sick father that mealtimes along with everything else have suffered around here. Yesterday I made Lubby's recipe for sweet potato and rosemary frittata (posted in the recipe section). It was very good. I used Swiss cheese and I think next time I might prefer a Gruyere cheese.

Tonight it will be fresh red snapper for us, pan-fried, probably basmati rice, brussel sprouts and a lemon dill sauce.

I picked up some very simple ingredients yesterday, for today, and gave my mom instructions on how to cook it, so hopefully I won't be needed there.

If anyone has any low cholesterol, healthy recipes that might suit the tastebuds of someone whose idea of health food is smoked sausage and fried potatoes, feel free to DM me or post in the recipe section. I keep trying to think of recipes that have enough flavour to suit my carnivore father but that aren't high in cholesterol or salt and my brain is becoming fried. I can't think straight anymore.

I am not in favour of taking so much flavour out of food that he has no reason to live anyway, but I've just run dry on what to make that has some variety but is still healthy. He is continuing to have strokes, so diet is extra important now.

He does eat fish. He will not eat fish stews or soups. His idea of vegetables doesn't extend beyond corn and potatoes. But I have been making salads and adding a greater variety of vegetables to his meals.

Ideally, for his tastes, recipes should have a little bit of meat in them. And it would be great if someone had some recipes that call for a minimum of ingredients so that my mom could cook them herself (she is not a foodie or an innovative cook and sticks to basic recipes, like, um, meat and potatoes). Recipes with frozen vegetables would be good because they keep and we are out in the country, which means fresh vegetables mean driving some distance.
I am so glad you made my recipe!!! Glad you enjoyed it. I hope your dad feels better. Happy New Year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink