U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 02:53 PM

2,638 posts, read 5,054,111 times

Advertisements

Panda Express isn't so great. The fried rice isn't half as good as in a better restaurant. They favor sickly sweet dishes because, I suppose, it's what people want. But the sweetfire chicken is okay.

Souplantation is a chain buffet place in California. I've eaten there 5 times in the past year and I've started hating it. They now charge $2.14 extra for orange slices or tofu pieces. But the desserts are good. The whole deal is about $9. I had some ziti last night and it was awful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 02:56 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,036,588 times
I hate Panda. Refuse to eat there since reading how many calories were in their orange chicken. Employees there are also rude and in my neck of the woods, don't understand enough English to get your order right without you watching every move they make. I'd rather give my business to a small, family owned local Chinese take-out restaurant that I enjoy.

I haven't had Souplantation in years. In Arizona, I actually like Sweet Tomatoes. Though costly (about $9+ without a coupon), their salad items are usually fresh and I like their frozen yogurt. I usually pass on their baked entrees and desserts.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:33 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,699,350 times
I have no prob with the PE in my area, food is usually quite fresh, and I like the Bejing Beef, Orange and Mandarin Chicken. I dont really like much else there though. I dont get rice, I prefer the noodles. I wouldnt really compare it to "real" Asian places, but its great for quick takeout, esp with the drive thru.

No Souplantations here. I dont think the name would go over too big in the South though..

Old 10-03-2011, 02:30 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,777,535 times
I used to go to our local Panda Panda , then it became a Panda Express and wasn't nearly as good. I like Pic up Stix though.

Souplantation is "ok".... they run some decent coupons every now and then.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:12 PM

43,569 posts, read 62,352,860 times
Chinese food that is sold here has nothing to do with real Chinese food. People think that their food is healthy, but is not. However Chinese food is still better for you than meals found at most other restaurants because the dishes tend to be loaded with veggies and lean meats.
But when you go there, just think about all the fat saturated dishes, rice, noodle, deep fries meats - a load of greasy, refined carbs; the overuse of soy sauce ( salt) and the amount of sugar. ( yeah... sweet and sour), then the desserts - cheese cake and other cream filled pastries.
Popular Chinese restaurant meals quite frequently have as much as an entire day’s worth of sodium and some meals have twice that.
Still, if you watch what you eat, you can put together a fairly healthy meal that will contain steamed rice, and veggies, steamed or stir fried shrimp or chicken, spring roll and fresh fruits.

http://www.pandaexpress.com/menu/nutrition.aspx (broken link)
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:26 PM

32,742 posts, read 18,079,930 times
I don't eat at Panda Express. I used to but usually got the Mandarin chicken and steamed rice in a bowl for around $5.00. The orange chicken is LOADED with fat and calories (although I will admit, I like the flavor). I also like the beef and broccoli and a side of steamed rice. Nowadays, I go to this little mom-and-pop Chinese fast food restaurant about a mile from my home that serves food of MUCH higher quality and at a lower price than Panda Express.

As far as Souplantation goes, I haven't been to one in several years. The last time I was there, I could remember the chicken noodle soup and Chinese chicken salad being decent. Their desserts aren't bad, either, especially the ice cream station.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:51 PM

7,508 posts, read 3,910,143 times
I don't know the other one but I do know Panda Express. I get a little critical of how they make their food, especially their fried rice and Chow Mein. I know I shouldn't because they are making food but sometimes I really can't help it. I rather make my own fried rice and chow mein (fried noodles).

Old 10-09-2011, 11:19 AM

12,476 posts, read 18,092,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
I hate Panda. Refuse to eat there since reading how many calories were in their orange chicken.
You thought a battered fried chicken covered with sauce was going to be low calorie? This dish at any place is going to be high calorie....

Panda has many options that are lower calories, just don't get the stuff that is battered and fried. In this state Panda has to put the calorie information on their signs, that is the sign for "Orange Chicken" will have the calories for a single serving.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:59 PM

16,732 posts, read 35,343,489 times
The one and only time I ate at PE: 14 hours later I was still reacting to the amount of NaCl in that food.
Never again.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:08 PM

6,488 posts, read 7,458,754 times
I've never eaten at either one of those places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink