Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 11:38 AM

4,076 posts, read 2,162,553 times

Advertisements

DH and I do enjoy cooking for friends and don't even expect/demand reciprocation since some don't know or don't enjoy cooking. And a couple of these friends have always been too clueless to send an e-mail afterwards to thank us.

But within the past six months, even those who used to call or send an e-mail have stopped doing so! Has this practice really become obsolete? Are people really so busy that they can't take one minute to send off a quick two sentence e-mail?

Of course everyone thanks us as they are leaving. And most bring wine or dessert. But we had two elderly neighbors come for dinner for the second time. The first time they each brought something and called us afterwards. The next time, nothing was brought and there was no follow-up call.

I know what my choices are: either suck it up and just focus on the pleasure of their company and my ability/energy/interest in cooking or stop doing it if it bugs me that much. But I'm just curious as to what other peoples' guests do or don't do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 12:23 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,021,879 times
Most folk's we have over just say Thank you after the meal etc. Very seldom do we ever get a written T.Y. etc. Maybe 1 in 7. We don't have guest's as often as we used to do, but still the same results.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:46 PM

50,443 posts, read 64,273,051 times
I imagine that people like you (and me) who do most of the entertaining because we enjoy it, know how nice it is to get an email or phone call the next day or so. Folks who don't entertain much probably don't realize that it is important for them to do that.
Anyway, if you have us over I'll email you and tell you how much we enjoyed your hospitality.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:57 PM

Thanks, GA! It's a deal....

And yup, I guess you are right---it's kind of self-selecting....those of us who give our time and energy to cook for people would also give it to thank people, whereas those who don't do one may not do the other.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:11 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,555,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Most folk's we have over just say Thank you after the meal etc. Very seldom do we ever get a written T.Y. etc. Maybe 1 in 7. We don't have guest's as often as we used to do, but still the same results.
^^^ That's been my experience, too.

In my experience, a lot of people express their appreciation by bringing something (wine, dessert, flowers, etc.). A smaller number show appreciation by reciprocating with an invitation to eat with them.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:49 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,267,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
And most bring wine or dessert. But we had two elderly neighbors come for dinner for the second time. The first time they each brought something and called us afterwards. The next time, nothing was brought and there was no follow-up call.
In this particular case (elderly guests) I'd call them and make sure everything is OK. Like my lasagna didn't do them in.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:00 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,113,446 times
This is how I thank someone that has me over dinner or a party:

If I have never been invited to your house previously, I write a handwritten note. Sometimes I even send an email the next day and follow-up with my handwritten note.

If I have been to your home previously, I always send a follow-up thank you email.

If you tell me not to bring something to contribute to dinner, I bring a bottle of wine. If I contribute something for dinner, you still get a bottle of wine as a host/ess gift.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:03 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,532,224 times
They should write a little thank you note. That way they don't take any of the hosts time or waste any of theirs, and they avoid any awkward efforts of trying to think of new stuff to say to people you just spent the evening with. All it has to say is "We so enjoyed your dinner party last Friday. I can't recall when we had such a delicious meal and great company. Regards, The Smiths."

Old 10-03-2011, 04:07 PM

Hey, George, you sound like my type of guest! Want to come to Lawrenceville for dinner?

Wilson, your thank you note is perfect. Elegant in its simplicity. That's all that's needed.

And I guess that's my point. If I can take hours to make a meal, clean up, and socialize inbetween, I just can't understand why people can't take that 20 seconds to send off a note like that (e-mail is fine).

Old 10-03-2011, 04:34 PM

62,006 posts, read 87,675,913 times
There was a time when manners and etiquette were not only taught daily, they were expected of everyone. Unfortunately this is not the case any more. Nowadays lots of people think that etiquette and manners are obsolete and archaic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink