Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 12:11 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,682 times

Advertisements

Hey Jersey! I like your freezies! Too bad they aren't bigger, they'd come in handy for body disposal.
I just watched Pulp Fiction again last night, so I have plenty of body disposal ideas on my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 06:52 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,249,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
I would wonder why anyone would take anything from the soprano's and try to compare it with real life.
The show is not completely fiction. Its not like I was watching Carebears.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:19 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
The show is not completely fiction. Its not like I was watching Carebears.
I agree.

Eating sushi is acceptable either way, with your hands or chopsticks. Some people think they're "sophisticated" using chopsticks, but that doesn't mean that many people, even in Japan, don't eat sushi with their hands. Eating it with a fork would seem strange, though.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:10 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
for me, eating with chopsticks is like trying to start a fire with two sticks. we have developed better ways to do things.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:43 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,622,415 times
The traditional way is to eat nigiri sushi (the one's topped with fish not wrapped in seaweed) with your hands. That's why they bring out the hot towels at the beginning of the meal. However, maki rolls (and even the ones with the seaweed inverted inside out) are eaten with chopsticks since you're not supposed to dip them in soy sauce. In fact a Japn colleague from Tokyo told me that eating nigiri sushi with chopsticks is somewhat effeminate and runs contrary to its historic origins as bar/stall food for men to be consumed with copious amounts of sake.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:29 PM

244 posts, read 333,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I know it was custom in America to eat it with chopsticks, but i was watching The Sopranos and Tony was scarfing them down with his hands.

If I were at a sushi spot and ate them with my hands, would i get strange looks?
I grew up in Japan, and we all use chopsticks except when we are eating hand rolls or when we are eating at or own home. Even then, we used chopsticks... Only acceptable items to use hands to eat at a sushi restaurant would be the hand rolls I mentioned, and Edamame (boiled soy beans with salt), also some big rice balls (they are not sushi but kind of like sandwiches). Otherwise, it is not acceptable to use hand to eat food.

Because you dip sushi into a small tray of soy sauce, it's better if you use chopsticks anyways. You don't want soy sauce getting on your fingers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink