Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 07:33 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,722,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I have! That's why I'm looking closer at labels watching for that Chinese crap!
Any "Chinese crap" that reaches your supermarket is imported by an American distributor, who is fully responsible for and knowledgeable about the product that is distributed in their name, exactly the same as if they were marketing "USA crap" like tater tots or hot pockets. If it is packaged outside the USA, it cannot legally be offered for sale in the USA without a label showing the country of origin.

Have you noticed that it is not "Chinese crap" that is tainted by oil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 07:36 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,719,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The government’s safety testing methodologies for Gulf of Mexico seafood were insufficient to prevent oil-tainted animals from being sold in U.S. supermarkets.

Food and Drug Administration (FDA) used outdated risk assessment techniques when evaluating the safety of gulf seafood in the wake of the worst accidental oil spill in human history and was responsible for allowing food with “10,000 times too much contamination” than should be permitted, failing to highlight the elevated risk to children and pregnant women.

Produced by the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) and published in the journal Environmental Health Perspective, study concludes: “We found not only petroleum in the digestive tracts of shrimp, but also in the edible portions of fish. We’ve collected shrimp, oysters and finned fish on their way to marketplace — we tested a good number of seafood samples and in 100% we found petroleum.” Experts cited excessive amounts of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH), which can trigger an elevated cancer risk. Heightened PAH levels are precisely what the NRDC found as well.

The FDA continues to insist that seafood from the Gulf of Mexico is safe to consume.

FDA Allowed Unsafe Seafood Onto Market After BP Oil Spill Disaster

Can you just imagine what they are NOT telling us...

Old 10-18-2011, 08:56 AM

23,410 posts, read 36,898,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Any "Chinese crap" that reaches your supermarket is imported by an American distributor, who is fully responsible for and knowledgeable about the product that is distributed in their name, exactly the same as if they were marketing "USA crap" like tater tots or hot pockets. If it is packaged outside the USA, it cannot legally be offered for sale in the USA without a label showing the country of origin.

Have you noticed that it is not "Chinese crap" that is tainted by oil?
Have you noticed they dont have to tell us when theres melamine in crap they import from China?

Old 10-18-2011, 10:30 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,722,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Have you noticed they dont have to tell us when theres melamine in crap they import from China?
And just who is "they", who doesn't tell us about melamine crap. The American importers and distributors, who get rich importing it and hiding everything that it's not illegal to hide (and a lot that is)?

If you don't like what is being sold to you by American importers, distributors, wholesalers and retailers, put the blame where it belongs.

No Melamine has ever been found in any human food imported into the USA from China.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:32 AM

23,410 posts, read 36,898,373 times
Quote:
And just who is "they", who doesn't tell us about melamine crap. The American importers and distributors, who get rich importing it and hiding everything that it's not illegal to hide (and a lot that is)?

If you don't like what is being sold to you by American importers, distributors, wholesalers and retailers, put the blame where it belongs.
This would be a rhetorical question, and just another reason why we grow as much of our own food, etc as possible.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:43 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,351,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The government’s safety testing methodologies for Gulf of Mexico seafood were insufficient to prevent oil-tainted animals from being sold in U.S. supermarkets.

Food and Drug Administration (FDA) used outdated risk assessment techniques when evaluating the safety of gulf seafood in the wake of the worst accidental oil spill in human history and was responsible for allowing food with “10,000 times too much contamination” than should be permitted, failing to highlight the elevated risk to children and pregnant women.

Produced by the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) and published in the journal Environmental Health Perspective, study concludes: “We found not only petroleum in the digestive tracts of shrimp, but also in the edible portions of fish. We’ve collected shrimp, oysters and finned fish on their way to marketplace — we tested a good number of seafood samples and in 100% we found petroleum.” Experts cited excessive amounts of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH), which can trigger an elevated cancer risk. Heightened PAH levels are precisely what the NRDC found as well.

The FDA continues to insist that seafood from the Gulf of Mexico is safe to consume.

FDA Allowed Unsafe Seafood Onto Market After BP Oil Spill Disaster
Thanks Hon...you are a veritable cornucopia of information about food! But honestly, is anyone surprised? I stopped buying a lot of seafood after the Japan contamination and the BP disaster. Not only the OIL (which is Natural) but the chemical "dispersants" which contain God-knows-what. I get enough chemicals and risks using cellular phones and eating regular food.

Who would even THINK seafood is safe? Prior to those disasters the FDA already has a list of fish/seafood that may be dangerous because of the levels of mercury and other heavy metals.

I do eat seafood occasionally, but I definitely don't go out of my way to buy it...although I do take heavy-metal free fish oil tablets. I think it is also strange so many places have shrimp and other "expensive" seafood on sale. Of course it is on sale, the industrialized countries have turned the oceans into a cesspool. No thanks.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:40 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,550,484 times
Quote:
Just try to imagine what you'd be eating if there was no governmental regulatory agency at all.
For starters some great European cheeses made with raw milk. The government won't let us import these now.

Then I'd like some turtle soup. There are turtle farms in the Cayman Islands so there's no effect on wild turtles.

Get the government out of the kitchen.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:52 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,351,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
For starters some great European cheeses made with raw milk. The government won't let us import these now.

Then I'd like some turtle soup. There are turtle farms in the Cayman Islands so there's no effect on wild turtles.

Get the government out of the kitchen.
? Why so people can start suing like crazy when they get sick from the foreign bacteria in unpasteurized cheese?

I had raw milk cheese, and personally, I didn't notice any difference in taste. If a consumer is really that ooh la la... lol that raw milk Gucci Louis Vuitton cheese is a must, simply take a trip to France or wherever and fill-up on cheese.

You'll be helping the world economy.

Years ago, I had a freshly killed turtle (that was probably illegally killed but not by me)...and I don't think that's any big whoop either. The poor thing gave up its life and IMO it tastes like a cross between fish and chicken.

If you've never had it before then IMO you're not missing much...well except it is a little greenish. Again, I think anyone who is pining for turtle soup can take a trip to the Cayman islands. I bet that's more fun than eating it at home...and the government doesn't have to worry about being sued or petitioned to death by the people at PETA.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:30 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,169,934 times
Turtle soup is illegal? I've had it at various restaurants in New Orleans, is this a recent development?

Old 10-19-2011, 08:39 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,169,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Who would even THINK seafood is safe?
Since you ask, I do. Sure there is always a chance you consume something unhealthy, but same with fruits and vegetables many people have gotten ill and died from eating them in this country. Thousands get sick from salmonella in eggs or chicken every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I think it is also strange so many places have shrimp and other "expensive" seafood on sale. Of course it is on sale, the industrialized countries have turned the oceans into a cesspool. No thanks.
Hyperbole much?

Shrimp has gotten cheaper over time because of increased supply due to global trade. Imports from countries like Vietnam/Thailand/etc. with large shrimp farming industries have made it no longer an expensive food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink