Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 08:43 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I had raw milk cheese, and personally, I didn't notice any difference in taste.
If you've never had it before then IMO you're not missing much...well except it is a little greenish.
Ah, so we should legislate food availability based on your personal taste preferences? Come on.

Quote:
and the government doesn't have to worry about being sued or petitioned to death by the people at PETA.
Don't be silly we eat farmed cows, pigs, chickens, shrimp, salmon, tilapia, rabbits, etc. and now we're going to worry about PETA with turtles? I certainly don't want my government making decisions based on threat of baseless lawsuits from activist organizations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 11:17 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Turtle soup is illegal? I've had it at various restaurants in New Orleans, is this a recent development?
Sorry. I should have said sea turtle. It gives the best tasting turtle soup by far. It's something on the order of sturgeon from the Caspian Sea versus American salmon for caviar.

I should also mention, for the benefit of another poster, that it tastes nothing like fish or chicken. It tastes like turtle.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:33 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
No Melamine has ever been found in any human food imported into the USA from China.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued an Import Alert (IA 99-29) requiring the detention without physical examination of all vegetable protein products from China for animal or human food use due to the presence of melamine and/or melamine analogs. The affected products and/or FDA product code descriptions include: wheat gluten, wheat flour gluten, rice gluten, rice protein, rice protein concentrate, corn gluten, corn gluten meal, corn by-products, soy protein, soy bean meal, powder protein isolate, or protein powder, soy gluten, proteins (including amino acids and protein hydrosylates), and mung bean protein. Milled rice products are also listed.

Melamine Contamination In China

FDA testing of milk- based products imported into the United States from China had found melamine contamination. On September 26, the FDA issued an alert to consumers that seven Mr. Brown instant coffee and milk tea products were being recalled by the Taiwanese company, King Car Food Industrial Co. Ltd., due to possible contamination with melamine. The FDA recommends that consumers not consume any of the above Mr. Brown instant coffee and milk tea products. The FDA also recommends that retailers and foodservice operators remove the products from sale or service.
FDA Detects Melamine Contamination in Flavored Drink

FDA admitted that melamine contaminated rice gluten did in fact make it into the human food chain in their update dated April of 2007.

Other exciting news:

In recent years, for instance, China’s food safety scandals have involved everything from fake baby milk formulas and soy sauce made from human hair to instances where cuttlefish were soaked in calligraphy ink to improve their color and eels were fed contraceptive pills to make them grow long and slim.
Filler in Animal Feed Is Open Secret in China - New York Times

Old 10-19-2011, 03:18 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued an Import Alert (IA 99-29) requiring the detention without physical examination of all vegetable protein products from China for animal or human food use due to the presence of melamine and/or melamine analogs. The affected products and/or FDA product code descriptions include: wheat gluten, wheat flour gluten, rice gluten, rice protein, rice protein concentrate, corn gluten, corn gluten meal, corn by-products, soy protein, soy bean meal, powder protein isolate, or protein powder, soy gluten, proteins (including amino acids and protein hydrosylates), and mung bean protein. Milled rice products are also listed.
Has Melamine actually been found in human food imported into the USA from China, or is that just a cautionary inspection provision, triggered by the presence of Melamine in domestic food in China and in pet food imported into the USA?

Old 10-19-2011, 03:26 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Has Melamine actually been found in human food imported into the USA from China, or is that just a cautionary inspection provision, triggered by the presence of Melamine in domestic food in China and in pet food imported into the USA?

Read the bolded, underlined portion in elninas post below
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

Melamine Contamination In China

FDA testing of milk- based products imported into the United States from China had found melamine contamination. On September 26, the FDA issued an alert to consumers that seven Mr. Brown instant coffee and milk tea products were being recalled by the Taiwanese company, King Car Food Industrial Co. Ltd., due to possible contamination with melamine. The FDA recommends that consumers not consume any of the above Mr. Brown instant coffee and milk tea products. The FDA also recommends that retailers and foodservice operators remove the products from sale or service.
FDA Detects Melamine Contamination in Flavored Drink

FDA admitted that melamine contaminated rice gluten did in fact make it into the
human food chain in their update dated April of 2007.

Other exciting news:

In recent years, for instance, China’s food safety scandals have involved everything from fake baby milk formulas and soy sauce made from human hair to instances where cuttlefish were soaked in calligraphy ink to improve their color and eels were fed contraceptive pills to make them grow long and slim.
Filler in Animal Feed Is Open Secret in China - New York Times

Old 10-19-2011, 03:49 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Well since it's obviously a conspiracy between ConAgra, the FDA, and Big Pharma, and since none of those agencies/corporate monsters can be trusted, and since everyone knows this already, then you can just discount completely all those silly warnings from the FDA regarding food from China. Obviously they lie, and hide the truth - so if they claim food from China is unsafe, then of course you should believe the opposite. Go nuts with that Mr. Brown coffee and corn gluten! The melamine in the food thing is just a scam created by FDA and ConAgra to force a scare into people and make them buy American!

How's that for a fun spin on the conspiracy? Do I get a cookie? I'll take mine with chocolate chips, extra rice protein please.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:35 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Sorry. I should have said sea turtle. It gives the best tasting turtle soup by far. It's something on the order of sturgeon from the Caspian Sea versus American salmon for caviar.

I should also mention, for the benefit of another poster, that it tastes nothing like fish or chicken. It tastes like turtle.
I assumed sea turtle was what you meant. My aunt/uncle caught a sea turtle in the Caribbean and fed it to us. It tasted like fish/chicken to me. I guess you think rabbit tastes like rabbit and frogs taste like frogs, right?

Wrong...they both taste like chicken.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:47 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I assumed sea turtle was what you meant. My aunt/uncle caught a sea turtle in the Caribbean and fed it to us. It tasted like fish/chicken to me. I guess you think rabbit tastes like rabbit and frogs taste like frogs, right?
Well, yes. And corn tastes like corn; beans taste like beans; eel tastes like eel ad infinitum. How could they not?

Have you formulated some new system of logic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink