Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 04:12 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,592,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Love pie, but seeing as how my lemon trees are always heavy with ripe fruit in late November, I always make something lemony. Last year it was a scratch lemon sheet cake with homemade lemon curd topping. This year it'll probably be lemon bars.

A lemon tree? Oh, how cool!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 04:34 PM

941 posts, read 1,797,563 times
Fontucky now you've got me drooling for that lemon cake..
please DM the recipe.. for that matter, share it with all of us.. I adore lemon anything. THanks for the amazing idea..

Old 10-21-2011, 01:00 AM

11,011 posts, read 10,972,264 times
Well, at least you're not Marney

The Thanksgiving Letter « AwkwardFamilyPhotos.com 11/26/2009

Last edited by Beretta; 11-13-2011 at 06:40 AM.. Reason: removed copyrighted portion which can still be viewed by clicking on the link in the post

Old 10-21-2011, 04:18 AM

Default oh that Marney is a hoot!

Southbel.. Thanksgiving instructions from Marney is a joke.. right ?? I shudder to think how she'll command setting that table.
(No! Spoon HERE, fork on THAT side..glass up top on right...)

Old 10-21-2011, 04:35 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,372,581 times
I am happy for my guests not to bring anything (which would ruin Thanksgiving dinner). These are the folks who make home made vegetable soup from three packs of frozen vegetables and two large bottles of Spicy V8 Juice.

As for the guest list, just set the table for less than the total and seat your mother in law in the den in front of the Detroit Lions game with cousin Eddie. Maybe that will do the trick for the next year.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:40 AM

11,011 posts, read 10,972,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
Southbel.. Thanksgiving instructions from Marney is a joke.. right ?? I shudder to think how she'll command setting that table.
(No! Spoon HERE, fork on THAT side..glass up top on right...)
The rumor (internet rumor) is that it was indeed a real letter. I like to send this out to friends and family as Thanksgiving approaches each year to remind them that while I may be bossy, on occasion, I'm not THAT bossy!

Old 10-21-2011, 04:57 AM

Southbel,
After reading that.. your family will feel blessed you are not like that at all..
It makes anyone else in comparison appear cuddly soft and lovable.. keep the homefires burning.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:59 AM

and really.. who wouldn't want to hang out with cousin Eddie??

Old 10-21-2011, 10:10 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,843,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I love to cook, but his family does not offer to bring anything. I mean, the offer would be nice, right? They do not help clean up, or put things away. How rude!
They won`t even let me know who is coming out to eat until the last minite. I guess I just wanted to vent about this more than anything, but it will be paper plates again this year.

This does some rude, and how do they know they are invited in the first place? Do they just show up? Or do you invite them? In our family we always invite people first by email. After the family member follows up with a "yes" (or no) I would then ask them to bring something, unless they didn't offer. (but everyone always does ask if there is something I would like them to bring) And if no one told me who was coming, I would not set a place for them. So if anyone shows up unannounced or last minute they would find themselves sitting at a card table in the living room.

As for cleaning up, most family members do offer, but we never do a full clean-up. Just clearing the food and dirty dishes off the table is good enough for me, we enjoy having a few drinks and playing games after dessert. A lot of our family has to travel a few hours to get home, so I wouldn't want to waste our time together cleaning, I do much of it the next day. And football has never been an issue, but maybe that is because we don't eat until the evening, and football is already over?? Anyway, I think you need to toughen up with your guests, you are being too nice and they are taking advantage of you.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:11 PM

50,052 posts, read 63,405,659 times
Dr. Phil 101 says that no one can take advantage of you without your permission.
I am in charge of who is coming and what we are having. If someone asks if they may bring something, I'll tell them what to bring. I will even be willing to listen to what they would like to bring, but unless it fits into my plan I will tell them to bring what I need instead. If I am going to someone's house, I'll ask what they would like me to bring.
Get a grip on it, Girl, or you are doomed to this behavior forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink