Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2011, 10:59 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times

Advertisements

In a victory for the real sugar industry, as well as for the health of all Americans, a federal judge has allowed a suit against the HFCS trade organization to go forward. The sugar industry wants to prevent the corn industry from calling their Frankensteinian creating "sugar."

Judge: Lawsuit Over 'Corn Sugar' Can Go Forward : NPR (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=141622759 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 01:36 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
It's terrible for you no matter what.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:51 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Great news!! Lets hope that's the beginning of some changes!

Old 10-23-2011, 02:00 PM

13 posts, read 39,210 times
good to know, I try to avoid that corn stuff at all costs.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:35 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Good grief.

Another example of the American legal system gone amok. The judge should be removed from the bench.

If it's not corn sugar, what is it?

It is, by definition, a sugar. If it is made from corn, it is corn sugar.
QED

Let me on the jury!

Old 10-23-2011, 07:43 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
Y'know, I don't like any government getting involved in what I choose to eat. I used to be a real saccharin addict; especially when Diet Pepsi used it. My dad was a diabetic and I learned to love the taste of "Sweet 'n' Low". Then everyone decided it was bad for you, and took it out of everything. While saccharin never made me sick, aspartame did - violently. Then along came Splenda and stevia and all of those other chemicals - and I said the heck with it and went to sugar. Fructose, lactose, all of the cellulose-based sugars are still "natural", even maple syrup.

I now use molasses and honey even moreso than sugar. What happens when some freak-or-other decides that molasses is bad for you, or honey will kill you if you eat it for 20 years? Will the government ban its sale, too?

Love corn syrup or hate it, consumers have a right to choose. But with that right comes the responsibility of knowing what you put into your mouth, and what it does to your body - not my body, not your cousin's body - yours. By taking away peoples' choices, you take away their ability to think, reason, and choose for themselves, as well as the responsibility they should be taking for themselves as well.

Now saccharin is back on the market because, guess what? It wasn't as bad as people said, and was in fact better than the other chemical derivatives they came out with to replace it!

Old 10-23-2011, 07:57 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Corn sugar IS sugar. Beet sugar IS sugar. Cane sugar IS sugar. Sugar cane is only one source of sugar. It isn't the only source, and it's not the only valid source. If the "real sugar" industry wants to get haughty about it, they might be reminded that they bleach and process their cane, and get a lot of the stuff that goes into your 5-pound bag from beets, not cane. Maybe they should start labelling the exact source of their sugar on each package from now on, so as to not offend the delicate sensibilities of their customers?

OR...
people can grow a thicker skin and accept the fact that they're stuffing sugar in their mouths, and either be happy about it, or stop doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink