Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 12:59 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,694,340 times

Advertisements

If there is already another thread like this, then I apologize. I couldn't find it.

Anyways, I seriously need to move on to eating healthy foods. I work behind a bowling alley kitchen so the foods that I work out aren't exactly the best, if you know what I mean. Can any of you recommend some books and/or websites that might list a plethora of foods that are considered healthy? Anything that also goes into detail about why they're listed would be helpful too.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 01:13 PM

61,659 posts, read 87,023,434 times
You are right! there is a plethora of links and millions of books.
Its very hard to recommend anything in particular. Just follow up our forum, ask questions, read articles...
Don't believe advertising, learn how to read labels and make informed choices.
Our food forum is full of tips and recipes.
Easy Tips for Planning a Healthy Diet & Sticking to It
How To Eat Healthy

Old 10-25-2011, 01:16 PM

800 posts, read 1,910,321 times
I am not a nutritionist, but have long studied nutrition, including college courses.

I really like the website nutritiondata.com. You can analyse virtually any food there, including popular fast food. Analysis includes calorie count, vitamins & minerals; fat/carb/protein content; overall nutrient packed; whether the food is ideal for weight gain/loss, etc.

The easiest way to eat healthy in general is to pack your diet with whole foods rather than processed. ie. home-made stir-fry with fresh vegetables & meat with your own spices, vs. frozen entrees packed with garbage ingredients. Any food that comes in a package should be suspect. If one of the ingredients listed on the packaging is corn anything (particular high-fructose corn syrup), it is probably an unhealthy food to eat. Check your pantry. Most packaged/boxed foods have it listed as a filler/sweetener. Try not to eat out of cans/boxes as they lack nutrients and pack in empty calories. Frozen vegetables are an exception, except the ones that have added ingredients such as butter. In fact frozen vegetables are often fresher when it comes to preserved nutrients than what is in the produce section.

If your purpose is to lose weight, watch out for fad diets. They may work in the short term, but most are unhealthy in the long term and weight will be put back on.

Best of luck with your healthy eating journey!

Old 10-26-2011, 10:21 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
I
Anyways, I seriously need to move on to eating healthy foods. I work behind a bowling alley kitchen so the foods that I work out aren't exactly the best, if you know what I mean. Can any of you recommend some books and/or websites that might list a plethora of foods that are considered healthy? Anything that also goes into detail about why they're listed would be helpful too..

I recommend the website of the American Dietetic Association, a trustworthy source of science-based nutritional information.

ADA

They feature a lot of great articles.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:09 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Its very hard to recommend anything in particular. Just follow up our forum, ask questions, read articles...
Don't believe advertising, learn how to read labels and make informed choices.
+1 on the quoted

Here's a few generic tips that will help.
-Cook your own food. Almost always, it is more healthy when you control what goes into it.
-Use as much whole foods as you can, if you can't recognize or pronounce it, at least be weary.
-Whole grains. An aquired taste, but soon you will prefer them.

I read "In Defense of Food" It is on a different subject, but it will open your eyes to the EXACT reason that (I believe) El Nina says to be weary and make informed decisions. There is a LOT Of crap out there, both the food, and the info provided. Once you become informed, it will help by default.

Good luck, you will be glad if you succeed at making this change.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:37 PM

A friend of mine told me that it is relatively simple; stay away from soda, dessert/candy, fried foods and processed foods.

Thoughts?

Old 11-02-2011, 02:10 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,338,870 times
It most certainly goes a long way.

Staying away from processed foods and foods with processed articles in it can be easier said than done though.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
It most certainly goes a long way.

Staying away from processed foods and foods with processed articles in it can be easier said than done though.
What do you mean by "processed articles" ? I don't quite follow you there. Thanks

Old 01-03-2012, 10:15 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
What do you mean by "processed articles" ? I don't quite follow you there. Thanks
Ingredients should be foods you recognize, not chemicals that you cannot pronounce. For example, compare Hamburger Helper Creamy Stroganoff with real beef stroganoff.

I can't link directly to the Hamburger Helper nutrition page, but the ingredients include things like hydrolyzed vegetable protein, calcium lactate, monoglycerides, and disodium guanylate.

Beef stroganoff from scratch contains ingredients like pepper, butter, onions, and mushrooms.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:15 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,977,654 times
One of my "thumbnail" rules is to never eat anything that has an ingredient that 1) I can't pronounce or 2) that I've never heard of. With a smart phone you should be able to look up an ingredient while you are standing there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink