Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 04:53 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,882,620 times

Advertisements

pretzels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 05:06 PM

358 posts, read 469,378 times
Do you have a Trader Joe's in your area? They make some delicious little rice crackers that are crunchy, a tad salty and much healthier than your typical potato chips. Besides the crackers they also have a lot of other healthy, crunchy, sweet and salty options in the same area of the store.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:12 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,227,760 times
Quote:
Jasper says, some folks can't deal with it, especially when one eats an entire bag.
Are you guys making fun of me? How was I supposed to know that eating the whole bag was not okay...really...they were really good, I got the B-B-Que ones...and ate them for dinner...pretty funny. Really have not wanted to eat chips since then...for some strange reason....pretty much the "chip addiction cure"...maybe you should get your aunt a bag...okay, maybe not....

Old 11-05-2011, 07:58 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,884,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
We've eaten the "light" version that Lays puts out. Not bad, IMO. I'm pretty sure they're made with Olestra, but like Jasper says, some folks can't deal with it, especially when one eats an entire bag.
She won't try the Olestra stuff. My cousin (her son) had an "issue" with the Olestra, so she was scared to try anything made with it.

Now I want some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
pretzels?
They're not potato-y enough for her. Or greasy enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haley James View Post
Do you have a Trader Joe's in your area? They make some delicious little rice crackers that are crunchy, a tad salty and much healthier than your typical potato chips. Besides the crackers they also have a lot of other healthy, crunchy, sweet and salty options in the same area of the store.
She's in Canada, but I'm going to bring her stuff from here. If there's anything that she discovers from the stash I'm bringing her, that she deems a good substitute for chips, I'll happily buy it and mail it to her. Fingers crossed! I'll go to Trader Joe's and pick up some goodies this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Are you guys making fun of me? How was I supposed to know that eating the whole bag was not okay...
I'm not making fun of you. I've done it on occasion, too. It's a great meal!

Old 11-05-2011, 08:48 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,899,958 times
You don't mention how old your aunt is. Depending on her age, I'd be very careful about trying to change her snack-habit. She gave up smoking. God knows, (and so do I) that's one big deal. Try a few alternatives to her chips but if she doesn't get too enthusiastic, give her a hug and don't nag.

Certainly, your love and concern for her shines through. Use that as motivation for her to snack more sensibly. Let her know you want her to be around for awhile. Good luck.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:59 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,530,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
The rest of her diet? Her WHOLE diet is chips. I wish I was kidding.

Come on now your exaggerating just a little bit. She'd be dead if that was the only thing she ate.

Seriously if she just gave up smoking I'd wait a while on the chip thing. You might just get your head bit off for trying to be helpful. Just speaking from personal experience.

Talk her into frying her own. Might cut down on the quantity she eats.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
You don't mention how old your aunt is. Depending on her age, I'd be very careful about trying to change her snack-habit. She gave up smoking. God knows, (and so do I) that's one big deal. Try a few alternatives to her chips but if she doesn't get too enthusiastic, give her a hug and don't nag.

Certainly, your love and concern for her shines through. Use that as motivation for her to snack more sensibly. Let her know you want her to be around for awhile. Good luck.
Thank you. You're right.

She's 67. She's the only mother figure I had growing up, and I'm not ready for her to leave me. But I get where you're coming from, and you're right. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Come on now your exaggerating just a little bit. She'd be dead if that was the only thing she ate.

Seriously if she just gave up smoking I'd wait a while on the chip thing. You might just get your head bit off for trying to be helpful. Just speaking from personal experience.

Talk her into frying her own. Might cut down on the quantity she eats.
I'm only exaggerating a little bit. She'll be the first to tell you that, no, she doesn't want any supper -- she filled up on chips already. Like theatergypsy, you're right -- I'm so happy that she quit smoking... I should let her have her other vice for a while before trying so hard.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:56 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,356,765 times
Kettle Brand Baked Sea Salt. It's a great compromise. She gets her chips and they aren't quite as bad as some. They don't have that icky baked taste that Lay's does. Good on her for quitting smoking and starting exercising! Good on you for wanting to be sweet and thinking of her!

Old 11-05-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Kettle Brand Baked Sea Salt. It's a great compromise. She gets her chips and they aren't quite as bad as some. They don't have that icky baked taste that Lay's does. Good on her for quitting smoking and starting exercising! Good on you for wanting to be sweet and thinking of her!
I cannot believe that you just wrote that -- I just did some research and those are EXACTLY the chips that I will be getting for her (in abundance!) tomorrow at the grocery store. Great minds and all that!

Old 11-05-2011, 05:48 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,039,705 times
Our family has been living in Laguna Beach for 60+ years, and that's how we came to know Hav-A-Chips many, many years ago. They are natural (and wonderful) potato (and now, also corn) chips made by a group of Hare Krishna in town under a company's name of Hav A Natural. The chips took the town by storm from day one.

The chips are not widely distributed, but I think you can find them in some Whole Food or Trader Joe's.

Here are the nutritional facts:

Ingredients: Corn, Soy Bean Oil, Soy Sauce (Water, Wheat, Soy Beans, Salt), Lime

Calories: 140
Calories from Fat: 60
Total Fat: 7 g (10%)
Saturated: 1 g (4%)
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0 g
Monounsaturated Fat: 0 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 0 mg (I think this is wrong because there is salt in soy sauce)
Potassium: 0 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 18 g (6%)
Dietary Fiber: 0 g
Sugars: 0 g
Protein: 2 g
Vitamin A: 2%
Vitamin C: 0%
Calcium: 2%
Iron: 2%

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 11-05-2011 at 05:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink