Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 02:28 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,841,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
NO....NO....to absorb the salt cook the noodles in the stew. Do not add pre-cooked salted noodles. Also, wine expands the flavor of an dish and will extend the feeling of oversalting.

Livecontent
Are you sure, Wouldn't I have to have the sew boiling ? I'm not having it till tomorrow ,I'll give that a try, if they don't cook properly..I know where you live
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 03:07 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,356,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
Are you sure, Wouldn't I have to have the sew boiling ? I'm not having it till tomorrow ,I'll give that a try, if they don't cook properly..I know where you live
If you want it to absorb salt, why would you think it necessary to add salt to the noodles when you pre cook it. There are many recipes that cook the pasta directly in final finished dish--many soups, pasta fagioli are good examples. Dried pasta does not need to boil to cook--it cooks easily enough by simmering in preparations or baking in a liquid.

If you cooked the dried noodles in the stew, it will absorb much liquid and then you just add more. It will also absorb that excess salt in the liquid, which is your problem, and you are also diluting the salted mixture by adding more liquid. It is also diluting your seasoning and then you will have to add more to bring it back to the flavor you desire. You many even have to add more salt. It will thicken your stew as it absorbs the liquid and releases the starch of the pasta, so you need more liquid to bring it to service consistency.

Note: Much depends on the type and thickness of the noodles, you do not want to cook it too much or boil rapidly, as it will fall apart. However, you are saying the stew is complete. Dried Pasta is added latter to a product because it does not need the full time that is needed to stew the meat to tenderness or to develop a soup or other preparations.

Of course, many dishes do finish the preparation by adding the pre-cooked pasta but your expressed problem is to absorb the excess salt--and adding pre-cooked salted noodles is not going to do that. If you cannot understand, then perhaps your best go out to eat.

Oh, I think I know very well,

Livecontent
CIA alumnus

Old 03-06-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
If you want it to absorb salt, why would you think it necessary to add salt to the noodles when you pre cook it. There are many recipes that cook the pasta directly in final finished dish--many soups, pasta fagioli are good examples. Dried pasta does not need to boil to cook--it cooks easily enough by simmering in preparations or baking in a liquid.

If you cooked the dried noodles in the stew, it will absorb much liquid and then you just add more. It will also absorb that excess salt in the liquid, which is your problem, and you are also diluting the salted mixture by adding more liquid. It is also diluting your seasoning and then you will have to add more to bring it back to the flavor you desire. You many even have to add more salt. It will thicken your stew as it absorbs the liquid and releases the starch of the pasta, so you need more liquid to bring it to service consistency.

Note: Much depends on the type and thickness of the noodles, you do not want to cook it too much or boil rapidly, as it will fall apart. However, you are saying the stew is complete. Dried Pasta is added latter to a product because it does not need the full time that is needed to stew the meat to tenderness or to develop a soup or other preparations.

Of course, many dishes do finish the preparation by adding the pre-cooked pasta but your expressed problem is to absorb the excess salt--and adding pre-cooked salted noodles is not going to do that. If you cannot understand, then perhaps your best go out to eat.

Oh, I think I know very well,

Livecontent
CIA alumnus
Yes you what you say makes sense, thank you.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
NO....NO....to absorb the salt cook the noodles in the stew. Do not add pre-cooked salted noodles. Also, wine expands the flavor of an dish and will extend the feeling of oversalting.

Livecontent
Did the noodles in the stew..El Perfecto

Old 08-05-2014, 01:09 PM

50,071 posts, read 63,428,947 times
Default Antidote for too much salt?

I'm making bean soup today, and I threw in a package of cottage ham (uncooked). I just tasted the broth and its WAY too salty. I heard a potato will draw some of the salt out, so I threw one in. Will it? Is one small potato enough? Anything else I should try?

Old 08-05-2014, 01:17 PM

351 posts, read 583,791 times
Default Yes, raw potato will help....

Yes, raw potato will help. Try using one small raw potato first. If the soup is still too salty, use one or two more. This should greatly reduce the saltiness of the soup.

Eggplant is suppose to help too, and for a thick soup I've read that bread slices without the crust will help also.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:26 PM

114,841 posts, read 65,563,293 times
Add more water and re-season. Dilute, dilute, dilute.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:36 PM

50,071 posts, read 63,428,947 times
Thanks all.
Really, I think I'm pitching the whole batch. The ham tastes very odd, not only salty, and has given the soup a strange taste too. It was uncooked or I would have tasted it before I put it in. The beans are still super salty and the salt has caused the beans to stay firm. I've heard that salt should not be added until the end or the beans won't soften.
All in all, this is the worst cooking disaster I've had in awhile.
I guess we'll order pizza.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:45 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,728,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Thanks all.
Really, I think I'm pitching the whole batch. The ham tastes very odd, not only salty, and has given the soup a strange taste too. It was uncooked or I would have tasted it before I put it in. The beans are still super salty and the salt has caused the beans to stay firm. I've heard that salt should not be added until the end or the beans won't soften.
All in all, this is the worst cooking disaster I've had in awhile.
I guess we'll order pizza.
By the sound of it, the ham was in the process of spoilage.

I too have heard that adding salt to uncooked beans prolongs the cooking process. So I have tried cooking my beans without salt and it seems to hold up - the cooking time is less. I can't recall how long it took with added salt but it was definitely longer than the 2 hours without salt.

I too have heard that adding raw potato helps with extra salt. It has been such a while since I have had to add raw potatoes to absorb the extra salt to comment on the efficacy.

Pizza sounds good to me.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:54 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,731,749 times
Also, just in general, your food is tastier if you cook the pork (or sausage or whatever) first. Just brown it in some oil, or its own oil to build a base. After that cooks a few minutes and starts releasing flavor, then add your aromatics (onion, carrots, celery, garlic etc). This is a good time to add the dry spices too. Cook those till they soften, and then add the other stuff (beans and whatnot).

It ends up being way tastier! Try it out! It gives your soup an awesome base taste.

Also, another way to cut a salty taste is to add some acid when you serve: vinegar, lemon juice etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink