Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 06:05 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times

Advertisements

I wish the OP would come back and give more details. Why would someone start a thread asking a question and then not return to view the replies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 08:02 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,858,570 times
Should I mention the restaurant I worked at charged $18 for the salad... which I did make table side... a Cesar salad, with dressing made in front of you. It was the experience people came for.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Should I mention the restaurant I worked at charged $18 for the salad... which I did make table side... a Cesar salad, with dressing made in front of you. It was the experience people came for.
I believe it: as I mentioned back a little, we paid that much for an oriental salad with chicken at the Miami Airport Hilton a few weeks ago. It was really good, but not all that large. Without the chicken it was a little less. I think without the chicken it was about $13 or $14.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Maybe if there was gold in it. Or if it was really big, really good or really filling.
i am finding it hard to understand where some people eat if they are not accustom to seeing salads at $8 on a menu, even at places like TGIF or Denny's for that matter.

Jasper, you nailed it: we can always make it cheaper at home, but we go out because we enjoy eating out, we know we are paying for that pleasure. Yes, sometimes I do think the prices are out of line and no, I don't eat out as often as many, but if I find a place that is over our budget we just don't go back. The perfect example: PF Changs. I used to love to eat there, but lately the prices have shot up and the quality and quantity have gone down. We just don't go there.

Nita

Old 11-13-2011, 07:33 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
i am finding it hard to understand where some people eat if they are not accustom to seeing salads at $8 on a menu, even at places like TGIF or Denny's for that matter.
I am going under the assumption that they are from a very small town. But then again my small town mom & pop burger place charges $8.00 for a burger (given it has everything on it) and that is not including fries or a drink. I went once and the bill was $13.00 just for me!

I wonder what the salad did look like. If it was just iceberg lettuce, shredded carrots, a tomato slice and few cucumbers in a tiny bowl I would be a bit irate paying $8.00 but if it was like we all have been saying bigger or entree size I do not see the problem in paying $8.00.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:12 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,052,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
My sister walked out of a restaraunt while having lunch with some co workers because she refused to pay 8.00 for a tossed salad . would you pay 8.00 for a tossed salad ? I would'nt . She did explain before she walked out that she simply cannot afford to spend that much on lunch . How many of you would pay that for a tossed salad ?

Why would you embarrass yourself like that? If you go to a sit down restaurant, not a fast food place you should expect to pay $10 plus for lunch. Even if its just a salad and tea.

And most side salads are a lot smaller than what they serve as a salad for a meal.

busta

Old 11-13-2011, 08:20 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,052,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Besides the fact that the dishes has to pay the rent, utility, products, advertising, labor and make profit - most people would think that $8 salad is outrageous expensive ( true), but have no problem paying for soda from the fountain that sells for 20 x the restaurant's cost ( more if the glass is full of ice ).
Other big time mark-ups: wine by the glass ( 300-400% mark-up), beer cost roughly 25 cents on the dollar, spirits even less - 22 cents on the dollar ( wholesale cost of the item, without factoring in labor and overhead).
Most restaurants sell their pasta dishes for 6 - 10 x more than cost, margin for a scramble is about 80%, large cheese pie that sells for $16 to $20 probably only cost $2.50 in ingredients, mixed green salads diners order for $8 - $10 cost the restaurant no more than $1.60.
Now when you think about the mark-ups ( including all overhead costs ) then:

Wine by the glass: up to 5 x
Mixed green salad: up to 8 x
Fountain soda: 20 x
Eggs: 5 x
Pizza: about 8 x
Some pastas: 6 - 10 x
are the profit makers
and
Steak: Restaurants break even or lose
Seafood: Break even or lose

Not always true. I had a $12.99 steak special on Fridays that was steak and baked potato. My cost was a box of 30 8oz ribeyes for $60 and a box of large potatoes at $25.

I would also sell a lot of grilled grouper plates with vegetables right at $15 and my cost was under $3 a plate.

My b-i-l has a high end restaurant and sell ribeye plates right at $30 and his cost is under $10 a plate, same with seafood.

busta

Old 11-13-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
Why would you embarrass yourself like that? If you go to a sit down restaurant, not a fast food place you should expect to pay $10 plus for lunch. Even if its just a salad and tea.

And most side salads are a lot smaller than what they serve as a salad for a meal.

busta

I am thinking that the OP must be someone who doesn't get out much, except maybe for McDonalds.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I am thinking that the OP must be someone who doesn't get out much, except maybe for McDonalds.
i think she hasn't come back because she didn't hear what she thought she would. I am still wondering where she normally eats?

Nita

Old 05-07-2012, 05:17 PM

I am traveling in Kentucky and stopped at a restaurant where I haven't dined before. I thought of this thread when I ordered, because the side salads were $8.95 and $7.95. No meat, just leaf lettuce, tomato, cukes, red onions, feta cheese and house dressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink