Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2014, 11:53 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,087,284 times

Advertisements

Organic lemonade
Trail mix
All the crackers and cheeses
All the nuts
Small packages of fresh herbs
Fresh flowers
Organic maple syrup
Vanilla extract
Chicken jerky for the dogs
Hand lotion

The only thing that I purchased that was just plain awful was their California roll (sushi). Even the local grocery store makes better sushi than they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 12:13 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Good place for the price to get frozen foods:

Spanikopita and other snacks
Quick meals (chicken tikka ... yum)
Vegetables and fruit
Fish

And

Organic eggs
Hummus chips
Olive oil
Herbs and spices

I don't buy fresh produce there, for the most part; I can get fresher stuff at the local grocery chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
TJs no longer sells my favorite item.
I used to love the cranberry stuffed chicken breasts, which are no more.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:38 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
I love their unsweetened, 100 percent cranberry juice and spiced chai tea bags—among many other things.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:52 PM

990 posts, read 2,303,464 times
Thai curry chicken
pumpkin cheesecake
mac and cheese

Of course you can get these anywhere, but these three items are absolutely outstanding and have easy preparation. We try to compare these three items to the same everywhere, and these continue to be restaurant quality.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:29 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
So many of the favorites at TJ's are just as processed as what we can buy elsewhere. I generally just go to get a few things. The cubes of frozen basil are $1.00 less than at our local grocery. They sell Charley Bear dog treats for $1.00 less than at PetSmart right next door. Their flowers are a deal for sure, and the cheeses are usually less than what I would pay elsewhere. I haven't found much, if anything, that is better than what I can make at home. I used to go for nuts, but Costco beats their prices.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:36 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I've never found anything at TJ's that I couldn't get at a local store and I prefer to shop local.
TJs is as "local" as anything else. My "local" grocery stores are under the Safeway/Kroger/Albertson's umbrellas, selling the same things as any other store in the country. It's all shipped in from somewhere else, other than bread products. I noticed TJs uses local bread, moreso than the big name grocery stores.

I'm all for shopping local if possible, but the only time I can buy "local" is in the summer when our local Kroger chain (King Soopers) will sell Colorado Grown produce. Nothing grows in Colorado in winter.

And I find plenty of things at TJs that the other stores don't sell. Or TJs has a cheaper and tastier version of what the big name stores sell.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:40 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
17 posts deep, and no one has mentioned Cookie Butter?!?!

Sadly, I've had to give up a lot of my favorites (gluten), but I LOVE the Tarte d'Alsace, the frozen croissants (the exact same ones they sell through Williams Sonoma, but much cheaper), the asparagus risotto, and I love their cheese selection (and prices).

Old 03-20-2014, 01:42 PM

I like a lot of their frozen meals for weekdays when nobody feels like cooking for an hour. Like the orange chicken, kung pow chicken, teriaki barbeque chicken, and then all the frozen varieties of vegetables.

They have decent prices on organic chicken, love their greek yogurt (only 99 cents), deserts, juices, nuts, all the different bagged snacks, condiments, olive oil, flowers, great prices on all wine, etc.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
17 posts deep, and no one has mentioned Cookie Butter?!?!

Sadly, I've had to give up a lot of my favorites (gluten), but I LOVE the Tarte d'Alsace, the frozen croissants (the exact same ones they sell through Williams Sonoma, but much cheaper), the asparagus risotto, and I love their cheese selection (and prices).
OK, tell me what to do with the cookie butter. I bought some last week and while it's sweet, I can't figure out what to do with it. My kids like it on crackers for an occassional snack/treat.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:51 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
OK, tell me what to do with the cookie butter. I bought some last week and while it's sweet, I can't figure out what to do with it. My kids like it on crackers for an occassional snack/treat.
You can use it pretty much any way you would use peanut butter or nutella. I like it on english muffins or toast, or on apple slices. I've also read that you can warm it up and drizzle it on ice cream.

But it's also perfectly yummy on nothing but a spoon. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products