Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 09:16 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times

Advertisements

Excellent news......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 10:51 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,222 times
I love my horsies I could never imagine eating them. Horses are so cute and gentle please consider other options..

Old 11-30-2011, 10:55 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
I love my horses, too, TreasuredJewel. I love and respect ALL horses way too much to want to see them condemned to neglect, starvation, and a long slow death in order for some to be able to pat themselves on the head and feel warm fuzzies.

As said, any slaughter ban that is TRULY for the horses and not the warm fuzzies of those pushing for it will be realistic and will take into account the predictable consequences and will provide for the care of the horses.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:30 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
If its got four hooves God said its good to go. Our Disneyland culture has dictated otherwise.

Depending on what the horses are fed I don't consider them different than elk or moose other than they dont have horns.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:41 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
ill eat some horsie if its yummy. what about elephants? imagine how much meat you can get out of one of those suckers.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:59 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,683,581 times
I love horses, and always have; have worked them, trained them, been the emergency medical person for them (even though I'm not a vet, I was often called for traumatic injuries and sudden illnesses by several horse owners), and finally got my own land and adopted my own Grace, thru a friend who rescued her from a riding stable that closed due to the recession. It tears my heart out to go to the 'wild horse adoption' events and not pick up every last one of the little darlings and give them a good home. BUT - I do not have the land type to support a herd, nor do I have the time or energy to train a herd. Horses cost a LOT of money that many people don't realize - and adopting a wild horse means not only health issues that have to be treated, but often sterilization and long hours of work just to get them to trust a human. Often they cannot be 'broke to ride' much less 'gentled to ride' as their previous injuries and/or illnesses/starvation/poor growth make them unsound mounts.

TexasHorseLady, I relate to what you are saying about the leased land, like the ones that run wild on NatResource and public lands; all too often they stray onto land that is owned by citizens as well, and some ranchers and farmers practice the 3 "S's" rather than deal with legalities. (They often just leave them for the coyotes and wolves and other creatures, don't bother with the shovel- or backhoe - as the case may be.)

I totally agree that people should be well-versed in what it takes to care for horses BEFORE they buy one and try to stick it on a half-acre with a lean-to and call it good. I have worked with horses that you could put your whole fist between each of their ribs, who had never had their teeth floated and could not even chew, who even had to be put down because they were so neglected by ignorant people who honestly didn't know that they were starving and torturing the animal - they just wanted a horse for the kids... I've even had such people ask, "What's a gelding?" as their poor 22 year old mare with rotten feet struggles to deliver still another 'cute' colt in the mud pen that they call a 'pasture'.

It's all too easy to say, "Let's ban horse slaughter!" if you don't know what really happens to these magnificent animals when you do, and if you don't have to see or deal with the consequences.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:57 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
The Humane Society of the USA lists four acceptable options for disposing of a dead horse. Rendering is one of them. (The others are burying, cremating, or landfill).

Rendering extracts useful parts of the animal for various commercial uses, ranging from glue-factories to zoo animal feed.
Would somebody please explain the difference, in terms of the dignity of the animal, between rendering and human consumption?

If horses were raised for slaughter, like cows, in what way are horses less ethically appropriate for that purpose than cows?

Old 11-30-2011, 06:02 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
It's all too easy to say, "Let's ban horse slaughter!" if you don't know what really happens to these magnificent animals when you do, and if you don't have to see or deal with the consequences.
Preach it sister.........

We have a auction barn near by (30-40 miles away) where you can go down once a month and buy a horse for 15-20 cents a pound. When you can get a horse for $150-$200 people of all kind buy them, throw them out in a field and forget about them. If they could get a decent price from the canners the wannabes couldn't afford them.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:14 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Very tasty meat, lean and healthy. I used to eat it and would eat it again

Old 11-30-2011, 09:05 PM

741 posts, read 1,678,654 times
This makes me want to go Vegan again~~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink