Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2019, 05:09 PM

23,965 posts, read 15,063,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I did use olive oil, and I kept it at high heat. I am thinking it is easier to put on a winter coat, and grill outdoors.
Olive oil does not do well with high heat. It smokes and breaks down.

I'm still using my mom's Le Creuset that must be 50-60 years old. All the good of cast iron, none of the worries. I buy a piece every now and then. Macy's has a brand that i also have used for 10 years. It is way cheaper, so I use it for stuff that i know will discolor the enamel. It is my bean pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 11:17 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That's hasn't been my experience at all. My cast iron pans need NO cleaning except to wipe them out with a paper towel or once in a while heat a small amount of water in them and when it cools, wipe it out. Easy!

Unlike my stainless steel pans that require scrubbing with SOS and soaking and they are a real pain to clean.
That's all the cleaning I do and my cast iron pans have never had any rust on them.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:21 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
LODGE pans do not require the oven seasoning step.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:28 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
LODGE pans do not require the oven seasoning step.

Mine are Lodge and I found that their pre-seasoning needs help. I double seasoned them, and no problem now.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:52 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
So rather then sending DH out last night to grill our steaks, I said, ok, We will try cooking them in our cast iron skillet. Well, the whole house filled with smoke, and the smoke alarms were blaring.
The steaks, however were very good . Wondering what kind of oil, would prevent all the smoke. I can`t believe all this smoke is the norm.
Eh.

If I'm gonna be using the kind of heat needed to get a good sear on a steak, there's gonna be smoke. I just open the windows and back patio door.

Old 01-02-2019, 12:08 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
What kind of oil did you use? You need a high temp oil and despite all the Food Network and Racheal Ray hype, olive oil isn't the right oil for high temp cooking.

Now the other big thing is how high did you have the temp on the pan? It's really hard to get a high enough temp in most kitchens without some smoke from the meat. Most home kitchens really aren't designed to pull the smoke out fast enough. I have to be real careful when cooking meat indoors not to set off the smoke alarm. Which usually means starting with a hot pan to get a quick sear and then bringing the temp down fast, before it smokes too much.
I set the smoke detectors off searing meat all the time, it doesn't happen if I remember to open the window and the back door but just the fan above the stove isn't enough. I use a gas range with a 19k burner so it gets really, really hot. I use EVOO with a smoke point of 405 degrees, I guess I could use avocado oil but it's too darned expensive. Anyway, with steak if I don't set the thing off when searing I usually do when finishing the steak with butter.

Old 01-02-2019, 01:33 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,582,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post

Nevermind... I see stainless steel with a glass lid in my near future.

Stainless steel pots with Pyrex glass lids and aluminum heat disks, are the only ones I use to cook, except for my deep-dish, Hamilton Beach, non-stick, electric fry-pan. I can fit three, 5-lb. jumbo packs of chicken breasts in it.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:39 AM

3,464 posts, read 4,834,647 times
The OP's pans aren't seasoned well enough. We have some we have had for years along with some newer lodge pans we bought a couple years ago and have not had a single problem with them. It is all about seasoning them properly. Once that is done, they are easier to clean than any regular pan and will last for who knows how many generations of your family if they keep passing them down and taking care of them. I would imagine it would take hundreds of years to actually wear one out.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:56 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,118 times
The correct method , that has worked for me so many times.

After use, clean with detergent and a sponge/scrubber. Then leave it on the stove on medium heat, until the water completely dissolves .Leave in the oven for storage.

If there is ever any rust stains, wash with a sponge and table salt, then use a brillo pad. Dry on top of a stove over medium heat, then store in a dry space.

For daily usage, I use a half teaspoon of canola oil, and wipe the cooking surfaces with a paper towel. Heat on medium before cooking. I do not need to use too much oil, unless for frying chicken parts. Eggs, pancakes, tortillas, searing meat ,etc only needs a little oil wipe.

I am 15+ years on the same cookware , mostly Lodge products. The only downside is the weight!

Old 01-03-2019, 12:14 PM

3,070 posts, read 1,993,638 times
I've read all the posts & appreciate everyone taking their time to respond.

Here's a helpful article:
https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/...it-matter.html

I'll update later... still under the weather & having surgery in a few days, so my mind is elsewhere... that's the only reason I haven't repped or replied to individual posts.

Thank you for all the replies & links. I've done all of them... every single method mentioned. Again, I'll update sometime next week... I'm re/seasoning like a madwoman now & will let you all know of the end results mid-month.

Happy New Year, everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink