Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 08:55 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillynillyTalc View Post
Neither soap nor water ever touches my cast iron. They are beautifully seasoned and work like a non-stick pan now.

I scrape off the big stuff with a stainless steel spatula and rub the whole thing down with oil. If there is small stuff that the spatula can't get I rub the pan with oil and some salt. Always finish with a nice light oil coating before storage.
I agree. NEVER use soap of any kind! If you're consistently getting stuck-on bits it's because it's not properly "seasoned". On the very rare occasion when something sticks, I let the pan dry then add salt, then heat over a low flame while scraping with a spatula. The gunk easily comes off and then I wipe it all off, wipe a layer of oil over the pan and it's ready to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 09:38 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
On the very rare occasion when something sticks, I let the pan dry then add salt, then heat over a low flame while scraping with a spatula.
Coarse koshering salt works best.

(Nearly all salts, including table salt, are kosher; the coarse koshering salt, normally referred to as kosher salt, is used to draw out the blood after the slaughtered cow has been processed into retail cuts of beef, and then, after absorbing the blood, the koshering salt is rinsed off.)

Old 12-12-2011, 07:01 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,923 times
Sorry about that Sunset, my iron cookware is loaned only if the borrower leaves his or her right arm until the ironware is returned.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:20 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
A cast iron grill pan is exactly like a cast iron skillet. No soap, ever. No scouring pads except plastic. No chemicals. A properly seasoned pan will just wipe clean. If not, put it back on the burner and carbonize all of the stuck food and then wipe it off in water and a plastic brush. Then lightly coat with vegetable oil (Crisco not olive oil) and put it in the oven for a couple of hours at 350 F.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:09 AM

I guess we all have a favorite way to clean our ironware, and it's a matter of anything that works without ruining the seasoning on it.
Wilson513, can I ask why you say not to use olive oil on a skillet? I use it because it does not go rancid, as many oils do, but if there is a reason it should not be used, I may have to rethink the whole thing.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:29 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
masonsdaughter, it may be because olive oil has a relatively low smoke point.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:34 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
I have found olive oil to make a sticky mess when the pan is used at heat high enough to get crisco to a light smoke. It may be that the olive oil has a lower point at which it decomposes.

Lodge recommends solid shortening, but I don't bake and don't usually have it on hand so I use Crisco Oil which is supposed to be the same as far as characteristics are concerned.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:41 PM

I Don't cook with olive oil, just rub a thin film of it on the ironware after it has been washed and completely dry. I usually cook with lard. I guess it is just a matter of whatever you get used to.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:51 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I have found olive oil to make a sticky mess when the pan is used at heat high enough to get crisco to a light smoke. It may be that the olive oil has a lower point at which it decomposes.

Lodge recommends solid shortening, but I don't bake and don't usually have it on hand so I use Crisco Oil which is supposed to be the same as far as characteristics are concerned.
Crisco is better but lard or ghee even better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
I Don't cook with olive oil, just rub a thin film of it on the ironware after it has been washed and completely dry. I usually cook with lard. I guess it is just a matter of whatever you get used to.
I would use lard for the film too. Lard has such a bad rep which is simply so unwarranted and the flavor is unbeatable. But I'm a big fan of ghee (clarified butter) for general frying/sautéeing as it not only imparts the lovely butter flavor but lends itself to heat without burning like "regular" butter.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:01 AM

Do you know how to make clarified butter? I can't buy it close to where I live, and would love to try it. Do you use it just as you would other shortenings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink