Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 05:48 AM

737 posts, read 2,588,183 times

Advertisements

I'm giving a friend a cast iron grill pan, pre-seasoned, as a gift. She has never had one nor used one.

I used mine at her home to grill some steaks and when it was time to clean up she started to wash my grill pan. I told her not to as I prefer to keep the seasoned pan and she was horrified that I was taking it home "dirty".

The way I wash mine is to boil water in it and then take it to the sink and use a small grill brush to get out unnecessary gunk. Maybe once a quarter I'll use a bit of soap and water and then dry it immediately. I store it in my oven.

I normally don't clean it every time unless I'm going from steak to chicken, chicken to pork, fish, etc.

Before using it I take a paper towel with olive oil on it and quickly rub it down. I use it at least 2 x week and have had it many years.

In my online research, there are many schools of thought about the care and use of indoor grill pans. I want to give my friend cleaning instructions when I give her the gift.

Your input please? Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 07:44 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,281,046 times
I clean it with a scouring pad without soap; I may use a little only once in awhile if something very smelly cooked in it.

I dry with a towel and put back on my stove on low heat for a minute or two to completely dry. I then store in my closet with a paper towel inside the pan just in case any moisture forms.

I've never oiled mine again after the first few times. I've had my pan for over 20 years now.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
I dry with a towel and put back on my stove on low heat for a minute or two to completely dry. I then store in my closet with a paper towel inside the pan just in case any moisture forms.
That is a great idea to put it on the stove top to make sure it is completely dry; I'll put that to use!

Old 12-10-2011, 10:11 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I was thrilled to get a cast iron grill pan, but find it VERY difficult to get clean without using soap, so the result is that I never use it. Bummer.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:33 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
You don't use soap or a scrubby as it will remove the seasoning.
Heat it up add some oil, you could use a spatula to scrap off anything that is stuck on, wipe it out with a towell and some olive oil.

Take your new pan and cover it with olive oil and heat it in the oven at 350*F until the oil has dried up.
Remove it from the oven let it cool and repeat.
(it could take a few times)
Now your new pan is on it's way to having a non stick surface.
Wipe it down with some oil and it’s ready to use.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:44 AM

250 posts, read 379,539 times
Neither soap nor water ever touches my cast iron. They are beautifully seasoned and work like a non-stick pan now.

I scrape off the big stuff with a stainless steel spatula and rub the whole thing down with oil. If there is small stuff that the spatula can't get I rub the pan with oil and some salt. Always finish with a nice light oil coating before storage.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:47 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
My grandma used a thick paste of coarse salt and water to clean stuck-on food. Scrubbed with an old washcloth, used a metal spatula to scrap the tough bits. Rinsed, dried, oiled, and set back on the stove. That old thing was never put away

Old 12-10-2011, 12:01 PM

Thanks so much. There are few ideas I will incorporate into the cleaning instructions for her.

Like I said - so many different schools of thought. The main thing I want her to know, I think, is that it will never look brand new again, nor should it. Right?

Mine never has and has never seen a spot of rust; but like I said, I'm using it a minimum of 2x week. I love it and frankly, it is a real estate saver versus a big outdoor grill that won't last 20+ years.

Sorry, couldn't rep some of you again before spreading it around. Thanks very much.

Last edited by SunsetBeachFL; 12-10-2011 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: Sorry, couldn't rep some of you again before spreading it around. Thanks very much.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:12 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,117,244 times
I wash mine with soap and water, let it air dry then coat the inside with olive oil. When frying, I heat the shortening and pan until the shortening will sizzle when I put the food in, then turn the heat down to cook. I find that this keeps food from sticking.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
I wash mine with soap and water, let it air dry then coat the inside with olive oil. When frying, I heat the shortening and pan until the shortening will sizzle when I put the food in, then turn the heat down to cook. I find that this keeps food from sticking.
Thanks very much. I WISH I had a cast iron skillet! I had one that was 10 years seasoned but I loaned it out to someone and never got it back (the angry icon should have appeared here, but didn't work).

Anyway, love my grill pan for veggies, and proteins!

Oh, paninis too! Lock them down with a foil wrapped brick.

Last edited by SunsetBeachFL; 12-11-2011 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: Oh, paninis too! Lock them down with a foil wrapped brick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink