Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 03:02 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times

Advertisements

I've been shopping for gifts and mailing Christmas cards and shipping packages, and a day or two ago I was seized with the "Ack, that's NEXT WEEK" realization, but today was the first I realized I'd better start planning my holiday menu too.

My husband's sister and her fiance are coming for a week, so I will be making a big meal on Christmas Eve, lots of finger foods and munchies for Christmas Day (lounging all day in our jammies is the best) and New Year's Day, as well as larger meals for the rest of their stay. I usually do my grocery shopping on Saturday, AND I still have gift shopping to do.

As my sister says, yikes-a-hootie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 04:34 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
We will be having several kinds of fish on Christmas eve--probably salmon, shrimp, maybe crab cakes, and maybe flounder. I don't do the 7 fishes.

Christmas dinner, since it's on a Sunday this year, will be spaghetti with Sunday gravy, cheese ravioli, maybe a small lasagna, and a salad.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:20 AM

866 posts, read 1,136,802 times
My menu this year looks like this:

Christmas Eve: Traditional in my family
Italian sausage/peppers & onions
potato salad and other salad type things
rolls for sandwiches

Christmas Dinner:
Lobster,crab,& shrimp ravioli (main entree)--homemade
meatballs (beef,pork,turkey blend)--homemade
leftover sausage from christmas eve (I hope)
marinated artichokes,mushrooms
antipasti salad/greens,black olives,pepperoncini peppers

The meatballs will be cooked in marinara sauce with pig's feet included
rolls to make sandwiches

I LOVE Italian Food, especially at Christmas, when I get to make something out of the ordinary, like the ravioli this year.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:36 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,023,382 times
Doing Christmas Brunch at my house after all so for that meal there will be:
hashbrown casserole
quiche
maybe a ham
fruit

Old 12-16-2011, 08:46 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
With all this talk of rib roasts, I suggest that Yorkshire Pudding is not to be missed.

When the roast is done, remove it from the roasting pan heat the pan and oil up to 450 F and pour popover batter into the hot fat. Cook until it is popped or done, usually about 20-30 minutes. Don't let it burn, but you do want all the beef bits to adhere to the bottom of the pudding. And, you do want it to be oily with the beef fat. Wow!

Wish I has someone other than myself who would eat rib roast.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:20 PM

4,468 posts, read 7,999,911 times
^^^goin to try this, on Christmas, thx.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:23 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
For Christmas Eve we orderd Italian food from a place by me that is excellent. 4 half trays and a shrimp cocktail platter to bring to my moms. She is making pigs in a blanket and a few other things. Usually she makes sausage bread, gouda bread, homemade maccaroni salad, crab cakes and I make swedish meatballs, rice pilaf and cheesecake and we eat cheese and crackers. we are not traditionalists when it comes to food on Christmas we just make what we are in the mood for. This year we decided to make it easy on ourselves.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:55 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,284,305 times
Our children will begin arriving "home" on the 23rd and the cooking will begin. I know we will have meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and green peas one night. There will be pork chops with gravy and biscuits one night. Baked beans will make an appearance, as will corn and rice casserole and chicken and dumplins.

Like many others Christmas Eve will be easy finger foods, cold sandwiches, maybe some jambalaya or red beans and rice, an assortment of drinks and wines, and several desserts. All this with Christmas movies and monopoly.

Christmas Day will begin with breakfast of Scrambled Eggs, Fried Pork Tenderloin, Bacon, Gravy, Pancakes with syrup, assorted fresh fruit, biscuits, juice, milk, coffee, tea, and mimosa's.

We will have a mid-afternoon meal (like around 3 pm) with
Turkey & Dressing
Ham
Sweet Potatoes (recipe from Court of Two Sisters in NOLA)
Green Beans
Oyster Casserole
Veggie Lasagna
Fruit Salad
Stuffed Eggs
Turnip Greens
Beet Pickles and Sweet Pickles
Yeast Rolls
Carrot Cake
Red Velvet Cake
Chess Pie
Pecan Pie
Ice Cream

I'm already tired just thinking about all the shopping, cooking, and cleaning up. But I am thrilled and excited about my children, grandchildren, other family and friends all being home.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:12 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
With all this talk of rib roasts, I suggest that Yorkshire Pudding is not to be missed.

When the roast is done, remove it from the roasting pan heat the pan and oil up to 450 F and pour popover batter into the hot fat. Cook until it is popped or done, usually about 20-30 minutes. Don't let it burn, but you do want all the beef bits to adhere to the bottom of the pudding. And, you do want it to be oily with the beef fat. Wow!

Wish I has someone other than myself who would eat rib roast.
I do that in muffin cups, people eat them like muffins and we never have enough! Absolutely delicious. They are the first things to be eaten.

We'll have shrimp cocktail and stuffed mushrooms as an appetizer. We always have red meat on Christmas, usually filet mignon or beef tenderloin. I'm still working on the sides, I found a recipe of Guy's from the FN for a salad, which consists of lightly grilling a halved romaine lettuce and topping it with bacon bits, blue cheese and dressing, and I will probably make that. Plus we always have a potato dish, still debating which one, and another veggie, and probably garlic bread. For dessert, cheesecake and a chocolate dessert that I haven't decided on yet.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:01 PM

4 posts, read 19,147 times
Christmas Dinner is
BBQ Short Ribs of Beef
Turkey Wings
Corn Bread Stuffing
Macaroni & Cheese
Collard Green/Kale Mixture with Smoked Turkey Wings
Apple Pie
Sweet Potato Pie
Might Make a Cheesecake not sure yet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink