Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 01:22 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times

Advertisements

I take the leftover carcus from an already cooked roasted chicken but I take some of the fat off because i do not like my soup greasy. 2 cups canned chicken stock and 3 cups water, I also add some white and dark meat that I have chopped, 1 large onion diced, 3 large carrots peeled and diced, 1 bay leaf, 2 tsp poultry seasoning, 1 tsp dry basil or 4 fresh basil leaves chopped. 1/2 tsp kosher salt.1 can corn. I cook the soup for about 2hrs or util the meat falls off the carcus and I strain out any bones and grizzle. I know fat is flavor but I don't like my soup too fatty. I add 2 cups cooked white or brown rice at the very end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 01:32 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,449,684 times
Do what others are suggesting, except stick the bones in a crock pot and let it go overnight to a rich brown. Turn it off in the morning and let it cool, then bring it up to a simmer again when you start cooking in the afternoon or evening, before straining. 100% flavor extraction.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:42 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Thanks all, the soup is underway and looks great.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:45 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,658 times
Reduce your chicken stock by 50% before adding it to the pot; that concentrates the flavor.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:48 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
One trick that I sometimes use (when I'm not being lazy, that is), is to roast the bones until they're a bit browned. This adds a lot of flavor to your broth. Also, break the longer bones when you add them to the broth, to get everything you can out of them.

Also if the flavor is fine but the consistency is a bit thin for your taste, it's not cheating to add a little cornstarch paste or a white (fried only a bit) roux.

I think it's more common to brown beef bones for stock or soup, but it works for poultry too if not overdone.

EDIT to add: sometimes I'm a minimalist and make chicken stock/soup with only chicken, salt, and water. You'd be surprised to find it tastes better than most seasoning with veggie combos! So in this case, I would strip off the breast and thigh meat from a whole broiler chicken, preferably a true free-range if you can afford it (stronger flavor), and refrigerate it. The bones would be simmered in water for a minimum of 5 hours, or overnight if you have a hood to remove the odor from blanketing your house. Strain, reduce it if it's way too thin, then cook noodles until just soft. Add a ton of salt, then chop the chicken meat small and stir it in. Turn off the heat and wait 5 minutes for the chicken chunks to cook (it tastes better when not boiled).

Last edited by Woof; 12-17-2011 at 02:11 PM..

Old 12-17-2011, 01:56 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Mennonite chicken noodle soup doesn't contain vegetables but always had star anise. It is the most wonderful scent in the world.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:04 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post

Also if the flavor is fine but the consistency is a bit thin for your taste, it's not cheating to add a little cornstarch paste or a white (fried only a bit) roux.

I think it's more common to brown beef bones for stock or soup, but it works for poultry too if not overdone.
Agreed. You do have to watch your bones to make sure they don't burn! Burnt bones do NOT have the flavor I suspect the OP is looking for.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:16 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
I've never tried star anise in cooking except for 5 spice blend many years ago, netwit. I'll have to try it ..... I know it's huge in Chinese cooking.

During the bird and swine flu scares, several of us on related forums were trying to think of natural alternatives in case conventional treatments for viruses ran out ..... we found out that Tamiflu was derived from star anise, and so thought it might be good for influenzas.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:07 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I've never tried star anise in cooking except for 5 spice blend many years ago, netwit. I'll have to try it ..... I know it's huge in Chinese cooking.

During the bird and swine flu scares, several of us on related forums were trying to think of natural alternatives in case conventional treatments for viruses ran out ..... we found out that Tamiflu was derived from star anise, and so thought it might be good for influenzas.

If you do try it, then remember to use whole star anise - it can't be the ground stuff for soup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink