Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2011, 09:30 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,079,252 times

Advertisements

So after talking to a friend that is a personal trainer, she saw great results eating gluten free. Feeling better, more energy, etc. I decided to give it a go.

While its only been a week, I can say that after just a few days of eating gluten free, I had a hockey game and my energy level was A LOT higher. I was worried I would be sluggish not eating any carbs but this was more energy than I've seen in years.

My question is, what about if I just eat 80-90% gluten free. I don't have celiac so I don't NEED to be 100% gluten free. It is very hard to sustain 100% gluten free, and last thing I want is to slip up or go out and have items with gluten in them and get a bad stomach ache. (plus I really like my buffalo wings and non gluten free beer)

Will I lose the benefits of being gluten free, I heard its an all or nothing deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 12:57 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,719,617 times
You have to try it out and see how you feel. Some people need to stay 100% GF and other people can have a little with no problem. It is very individual.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:57 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,860,953 times
I consider myself an expert on gluten free eating. However, I can't answer THIS question!! I eat probably 90% gluten free. Anything I cook at home is gluten-free because my husband has Celiac. But if we go out I'll have a beer now and then, and once in awhile, like last night's calarmi app I shared with a friend, I'll eat something not gluten free. HOWEVER, I can't tell you whether YOU'LL feel better or not. Personally, I haven't noticed any difference since we went gluten free almost 5 years ago. Sorry! I guess you'll have to try and see!

Old 12-17-2011, 09:17 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,209,149 times
If it works for you I can't see how it can hurt you.. I do have my doubts about it giving you more energy, etc. On the other hand, like I said if you think it makes you feel better go for it. People who are on a gluten free diet seem to do just fine.

NIta

Old 12-17-2011, 09:54 AM

20,853 posts, read 28,175,323 times
I have eaten some foods that are gluten free and I did not like the taste. My brother and his wife eat slome fods gluten free and I am not a fan.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:23 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,245,607 times
I'm with those who say "try it and see how you feel". If you're not celiac, there's more leeway. You may notice that one particular grain gives you trouble - for me, it's wheat. Dangit. I like wheat. I don't have tummy troubles with it, but I do notice that I feel bad if I eat very much of it (like, a serving). But no trouble with things that contain small amounts of wheat.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:49 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,649,334 times
I think you're confusing gluten and carbs. Gluten is in grass grains, such as wheat and barley. Grass grains are not the only things containing carbs. Some fruits are high in carbohydrates. But fruits don't contain any gluten at all. Honey is also high carb, zero gluten. Rice - very high carb, zero gluten. Potatoes - 29 carbs in a single small white potato. Zero gluten.

You can very easily eat a 90% gluten-free diet, and still go overboard with carbs.

If you're trying to go low-gluten, and low-carb, you'll really need to learn what carbohydrates -are- and which foods contain how many carbs per serving, and how many carbs per meal (or day) constitutes "low carb."

Old 12-17-2011, 11:58 AM

366 posts, read 772,710 times
Default indeed it is!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You have to try it out and see how you feel. Some people need to stay 100% GF and other people can have a little with no problem. It is very individual.
I totally concur with you. I often find myself getting mentally fatigued and physically fatigued when I'm totally GF.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:05 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,719,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I have eaten some foods that are gluten free and I did not like the taste. My brother and his wife eat slome fods gluten free and I am not a fan.
Gluten Free replacements for baked goods are tricky to get right. But "native" gluten free foods are good. Rice, meat, veggies, fruit, milk all gluten free.

Cake, pie, bread, bagels: these are all much trickier. There is a gluten-free baking company near my house. They have some items that are pretty good, but it is really hard to bake without gluten.

My favorite gluten free cracker: nut-thins. These are awesome, especially the almond ones. I will willingly eat those at any time!

Old 12-17-2011, 12:09 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,793,751 times
I just wonder ...

People who have allergies to certain foods, like in this case gluten, go for gluten free, because it helps them cope with nutrition. We have a grandson who is allergic to Wheat, Eggs, and Peanuts. A bear to cope with that !!!

I think that most products that contain gluten also have a higher calorie content, AND there are not that many gluten free products. And if they are gluten free, they seems to have a better nutrition value.

So I think, that it is not really a gluten free diet that makes you feel better, but a diet that contains better nutrition value that makes you feel better.

I have given up soft drinks, corn, anything that contains corn syrup, and anything that contains anything with the word *hydrogenated* in it. I also have Reduced my intake of meat products and Upped my intake of vegetables.
I bake my own whole wheat bread, and I ADD gluten to it to make taste better.

I feel great, but I do not check if anything I eat, if it has gluten in it.
My daughter, who is a Registered Dietician, tells me, *Eat everything in moderation Dad, and you will be OK !!*
Nobody in my family is *overweight*, and can eat anything, except for our grandson, where we have no idea why ...

So reducing the amount of gluten in your *diet* may help you feel better, but if you still snack like there is no end to it on sweets and other fast foods, *drive* everywhere, live like a potato couch, who knows, if it really is the *NO gluten* that helps you ...

On the other hand, like always, if YOU think it works for you, then who am I to say what you need to do ?? Too many dang wannabee *exspurts* here on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink