Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 12:05 AM

22,626 posts, read 6,373,911 times

Advertisements

Very infrequently have pizza, order out when we do though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 12:34 AM

471 posts, read 1,599,752 times
Yep, probably once a week, many times twice a week. Pizza is one of my favorite foods - it should be its own food group. Usually DiGiorno, Red Baron, HEB's (a Texas grocery chain) own "Central Market" brand and certain Freschetta flavors. Some of the artisan versions from these brands are decent too though they get cold sooooo fast.

The above is definitely not as good as the stuff from a good pizza restaurant that's made by hand, but just on its own me and my buds think it tastes tastes good, sometimes very good. And it's a lot cheaper than the hand-made version, another big attraction.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:43 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,158,228 times
The Freschetta cheese pizza at Costco comes to less than $2.50 a pizza. That is okay by me for a quick dinner.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:50 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,464,984 times
I don't mind. I occasionally buy the $2 ones, and add some more olives and sprinkle on more parmesan cheese. A quarter of one makes a nice cheap lunch.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:13 AM

16,339 posts, read 29,996,132 times
When we were teenagers, my parents would buy the cheapest frozen pizza on sale and allow us to add our own toppings. After additional toppings were added - and in copious quantities, I may add - it was really quite good.

I don't mind frozen pizza but I am not going to pay Papa Murphy's prices which are higher than the local places which are baked on-site.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:27 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,684,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Reheating pizza in general seems unappealing to me (maybe it's just psychological). To be honest, I've never actually bought and eaten frozen pizza from the supermarket.

Even if I order pizza, and have some extra slices, then put it in the fridge as leftovers, it never tastes as good as it did when hot and freshly made.
When you microwave pizza from the night before the base always seems to be drenched in moisture, water, oil.etc.

No, I do not like most frozen pizzas. The base tastes like the box (i.e. cardboard), the toppings and cheese taste like rubber. They make good frisbees, that's about it lol.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:26 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,781,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
When we were teenagers, my parents would buy the cheapest frozen pizza on sale and allow us to add our own toppings. After additional toppings were added - and in copious quantities, I may add - it was really quite good.

I don't mind frozen pizza but I am not going to pay Papa Murphy's prices which are higher than the local places which are baked on-site.

Really? Papa Murphy's is very reasonably priced where I live. While some baked pizzas might be a little cheaper I think the quality of Papa Murphy's makes it s very good value.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:23 AM

77,773 posts, read 103,925,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I see frozen pizzas glowingly reviewed in a number of magazines:

Taste Test - The Best Frozen Pizzas - Every Day with Rachael Ray

Frozen Pizza Reviews - The Best Frozen Pizza - Good Housekeeping

The Best Frozen Pizza | Real Simple

I acknowledge that I am a bit of a pizza snob and think that restaurant pizza today in Atlanta does not measure up to the New Jersey pizza I had growing up in the sixties, but I just don't get frozen pizza. Aside from it having lackluster spicing, there always seems to be a chemical type taste, even with products that claim to be more natural.

What do y'all think?
I am sure coming from NJ, NY area or if you were from Chicago, nothing could match up. It is like being from So Ca, AZ or NM, moving to Alabama and finding decent Mexican food. NOw, as for frozen pizza, I am not a strong lover of any prepared ahead of time anything, but there are times it comes in handy and we can all live with it. On the rare occassion we get a frozen pizza or one from Sams or Wal Mart we usually doctor it up. I have never noticed a chemical taste (I think that might be your imagination) I would be more inclined to say, not much taste.

Nita

Nita

Old 12-19-2011, 09:26 AM

77,773 posts, read 103,925,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
With Papa Murphy's absolutely everywhere why would you want a frozen pizza.

I'm with you on that one OP.
you got that one. We try to remember to pick a few up when we are out. They freeze beautifully and come in handy from time to time: snow on the ground, football weekends, busy shopping days and too tired to cook, all kinds of times.

Nita

JLawrence, I am surprised to hear you say Papa Murphy's is high, you must have really cheap pizza places around your house. We think it is cheap comparaitively and the prices are the same nationwide or pretty much, plus there are always coupons (or usualy anyway).

Old 12-19-2011, 11:05 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,158,228 times
BTW, if you have teenage boys, frozen pizza is a food group item you don't want to run out of. They can cook it themselves, not mess up the kitchen too much, and it is pretty cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink