Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 02:07 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,427,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you got that one. We try to remember to pick a few up when we are out. They freeze beautifully and come in handy from time to time: snow on the ground, football weekends, busy shopping days and too tired to cook, all kinds of times.

Nita

JLawrence, I am surprised to hear you say Papa Murphy's is high, you must have really cheap pizza places around your house. We think it is cheap comparaitively and the prices are the same nationwide or pretty much, plus there are always coupons (or usualy anyway).
Exactly Nita. JLawrence must by talking about Little Caesars.

I'm sitting here looking at a Papa Murphy's coupon for a Family Size Cowboy for 11 bucks. The coupon is good for three pizzas. Oh and here is another one for a Stuffed family size for 13 bucks.

I've never frozen Papa's pizzas. How did that work out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 02:11 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,427,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
BTW, if you have teenage boys, frozen pizza is a food group item you don't want to run out of. They can cook it themselves, not mess up the kitchen too much, and it is pretty cheap.
^^^^ A greater truth has never been uttered. Have two teenaged daughters and one college age who bring over their ravenous friends all the time. We cook three family Papa's everyweek cut them into squares and pack them into ziplocks for the fridge. Toaster oven works great to reheat them.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:31 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,632,630 times
My favorite brand is Newman's Own 4 cheese...thin, crispy crust/real cheeses. All proceeds to charity! I add bits of whatever veggies are on hand.

IMO: best way to reheat frozen pizza from day before---
bake on 400 degrees just 6-8 minutes-never soggy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
When you microwave pizza from the night before the base always seems to be drenched in moisture, water, oil.etc.

No, I do not like most frozen pizzas. The base tastes like the box (i.e. cardboard), the toppings and cheese taste like rubber. They make good frisbees, that's about it lol.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:19 PM

77,773 posts, read 103,873,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

I'm sitting here looking at a Papa Murphy's coupon for a Family Size Cowboy for 11 bucks. The coupon is good for three pizzas. Oh and here is another one for a Stuffed family size for 13 bucks.

It works fine, the secret: you need to find a way to make sure the bottom browns but this is true whether you freeze it or just cook it as soon as you get home.

NIta

Old 12-19-2011, 04:14 PM

16,339 posts, read 29,977,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

=====================================

And last night, I purchased a 16" Deep Dish 3 ingredient which weighed over 5# for $10 with a coupon at my favorite LOCALLY owned pizza place. And it was hot and I did not have to rely upon my oven which only gets to about 500F.

One slice is a meal so it will take two days to finish (cheaper than making it from scratch).

Old 12-19-2011, 04:19 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,973,458 times
Totinos.
I can buy like ten of them for ten bucks on a good day at the market.
And the market is closer to my cardboard box than any pizzeria.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:41 PM

20,777 posts, read 28,020,334 times
In an Italian house frozen pizza is forbidden. My grandmother would be rolling over in her grave if she saw me buy frozen pizza. From a pizzeria fine or homemade.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:15 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,658,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
BTW, if you have teenage boys, frozen pizza is a food group item you don't want to run out of. They can cook it themselves, not mess up the kitchen too much, and it is pretty cheap.
Or teenage girls for that matter.

Btw everyone ever buy those pre-packaged pizza bases and you and put your own toppings on? Not bad, when baked in the oven the crust and base tastes surprisingly like it was freshly baked, although obviously far from the real thing. It's actually a good compromise between frozen and fresh, depending on the quality of the pizza dough.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:38 AM

77,773 posts, read 103,873,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
=====================================

And last night, I purchased a 16" Deep Dish 3 ingredient which weighed over 5# for $10 with a coupon at my favorite LOCALLY owned pizza place. And it was hot and I did not have to rely upon my oven which only gets to about 500F.

One slice is a meal so it will take two days to finish (cheaper than making it from scratch).
there will always be pizza places that are cheaper than another, I think the point here is: normally, compared to many chains whether small or large Papa Murphy's is relatively inexpensive. We have Caseys country stores here now (I don't know about where you live) their pizzas run about $10 for 1 topping, Razonback Pizza, a local chain is about $16 to $20 for a decent pizza. I could go on and on. Papa Murphy's Cowboy family sized pizza would be similar (toppings wise) to what you are getting with a coupon for $10. I don't think that would make Papa Murphy's really expensive like was originally posted.

NIta

Old 12-20-2011, 08:45 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,795,277 times
We love good pizza and, coming from Connecticut, we had a lot of great pizza to pick from.

However, sometimes when we just want to stay home and ALSO have a craving for pizza, these two are the only ones that we like:

1. Red Baron 4-cheese thin crust (or, on occasion, the pan pizza)
2. Kirkland brand (at Costco -- in the freezer; not their food court one)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink