Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 09:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I did not buy anyhting to bring to my brother in laws house, every year I make a shrimp cocktail platter, I forgot this year so i am running to 7-11 to get beer.
Heck, maybe the guests will like the beer more than the shrimp, you never know...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 09:21 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Heck, maybe the guests will like the beer more than the shrimp, you never know...
I just had an inspiration: shrimp steamed in beer. Years ago there was a restaurant chain called Lum's where they featured hot dogs steamed in beer. They were tasty; but I believe that shrimp would be even better.

I'm old and probably senile so my mind wanders and I just remembered another yummy, to wit, hot dogs simmered in salt water. There were once salted hot dogs available in cans. I liked them but they disappeared. I got the idea of the salt water simmer and it worked. I haven't had them in years; I think I'll fix them for New Year's Eve along with beer steamed shrimp. OOH-WEE, those hot dogs were salty.

I'll need to heat one hot dog without the salt for my animals as all that salt wouldn't be good for them.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:09 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,393,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
well my husband and his 2 brothers drank the beer I brought. I also brought munchkins from DD

Old 12-28-2011, 08:01 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,115 times
Not a food item that I forgot, but something my daughter did not have enough of - aluminum foil. We had Christmas at my daughter's new house, and when I went to prepare the turkey for the oven, I found that it was so big that the lid of the roaster pan did not fit. I got out her aluminum foil to cover it, only to discover that there was about two inches left on the roll! My daughter lives out in the country in a renovated old farmhouse, surrounded by woods and fields - not exactly possible to borrow things from a next-door neighbor. The one grocery store in the vicinity was, of course, closed.

Luckily, her mother-in-law lives a mile away, so my son-in-law went over to pick up the foil.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:49 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Luckily, her mother-in-law lives a mile away, so my son-in-law went over to pick up the foil.
That's the strangest Christmas post I've read. Why wasn't the family together? I can't imagine having Christmas dinner without my parents if they lived a mile away. If there are crowds and too few ovens it's close enough to bring more roasts and other goodies or people can do as I do and roast the turkey the day before.

Christmas dinner is about family almost as much as about food. It's too late after they're dead. We had some great Christmas meals with everyone there. Since neither I nor my late wife had siblings and we never had children the group was always small enough that we needed only one conversation at a time.

After dinner we'd sing Christmas carols. The fact that no one could sing made it even more fun.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
That's the strangest Christmas post I've read. Why wasn't the family together? I can't imagine having Christmas dinner without my parents if they lived a mile away. If there are crowds and too few ovens it's close enough to bring more roasts and other goodies or people can do as I do and roast the turkey the day before.

Christmas dinner is about family almost as much as about food. It's too late after they're dead. We had some great Christmas meals with everyone there. Since neither I nor my late wife had siblings and we never had children the group was always small enough that we needed only one conversation at a time.

After dinner we'd sing Christmas carols. The fact that no one could sing made it even more fun.

They were there - they just came over later. Living only a mile away, my son-in-laws mother wanted to cook her foods in her own kitchen and bring them over. The whole family WAS together - 26 people, not including the babies.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:40 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
Of all things, I forgot to buy the roasting pan for the turkey! And to make matters worse, there are three women in this house - we ALL forgot!! And living in a small town there's nothing open. I had to use a cookie sheet, wrap the turkey in foil and then make a foil drip pan for the rack below. D'oh!!

Old 12-28-2011, 08:20 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,683,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I just had an inspiration: shrimp steamed in beer. Years ago there was a restaurant chain called Lum's where they featured hot dogs steamed in beer. They were tasty; but I believe that shrimp would be even better.

I'm old and probably senile so my mind wanders and I just remembered another yummy, to wit, hot dogs simmered in salt water. There were once salted hot dogs available in cans. I liked them but they disappeared. I got the idea of the salt water simmer and it worked. I haven't had them in years; I think I'll fix them for New Year's Eve along with beer steamed shrimp. OOH-WEE, those hot dogs were salty.

I'll need to heat one hot dog without the salt for my animals as all that salt wouldn't be good for them.
Yup, shrimp steamed in beer is great. As a Southerner, I have had it! Oysters too, although I don't really like oysters. Beer helps everything... it's even good in batter if you like deep-fried!

Not to derail, but they have a can that you fill with beer, put up a chicken's derriere, and prop the whole thing upright on a low-fire grill... People used to use just a regular can of beer, but the pop-top opening was too small for enough beer-steam to escape into the chicken...

They still make the lil Vienna Sausages in cans that to me taste like salted hot dogs in a can. DH loves 'em. You can find them 'way up on shelves that have the canned sandwich spreads like devilled ham, etc.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Of all things, I forgot to buy the roasting pan for the turkey! And to make matters worse, there are three women in this house - we ALL forgot!! And living in a small town there's nothing open. I had to use a cookie sheet, wrap the turkey in foil and then make a foil drip pan for the rack below. D'oh!!

OMG, that reminds me of an infamous Thanksgiving almost 25 years ago! It was my first time hosting a holiday dinner at our house (we had previously gone to my family or DH's), and I asked my husband to buy a roasting pan because I was doing a large turkey. He brought home one of those cheap flimsy aluminum foil jobs. It didn't hold the 20 pound turkey, needless to say, the sides collapsed, and the drips caused a houseful of smoke, even with a pan underneath. We had to open all our windows and the nosy neighbors came out to see what was going on. My husband and daughter and visiting inlaws all sought refuge and fresh air on the front lawn, while smoke was coming out the kitchen window. This was doubly embarrassing, because my in-laws are lifelong vegetarians and this was their first Thanksgiving in a home where a turkey was being served. They never had that problem with a tofu turkey! The next week, my mother gave me a very large, sturdy roasting pan with a lid, which I still have and use to this day.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:48 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
OMG, that reminds me of an infamous Thanksgiving almost 25 years ago! It was my first time hosting a holiday dinner at our house (we had previously gone to my family or DH's), and I asked my husband to buy a roasting pan because I was doing a large turkey. He brought home one of those cheap flimsy aluminum foil jobs. It didn't hold the 20 pound turkey, needless to say, the sides collapsed, and the drips caused a houseful of smoke, even with a pan underneath. We had to open all our windows and the nosy neighbors came out to see what was going on. My husband and daughter and visiting inlaws all sought refuge and fresh air on the front lawn, while smoke was coming out the kitchen window. This was doubly embarrassing, because my in-laws are lifelong vegetarians and this was their first Thanksgiving in a home where a turkey was being served. They never had that problem with a tofu turkey! The next week, my mother gave me a very large, sturdy roasting pan with a lid, which I still have and use to this day.
Oh my, how horrible!!!! LOL

My friend came home from the store last night and had a huge roasting pan for me! LOL Nope, that won't happen again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink