Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 12:52 PM

18,717 posts, read 30,977,513 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used one of these Kapoosh Knife Blocks? Instead of specified slots for differently sized knives, you slide the knives between thin plastic rods. They look cool but are they good for your knives? Do the rods get tangled over time? There's a notice at the top of this site that makes me a little nervous (although it might be nothing to worry about). Thoughts?

Amazon.com: Kapoosh 650 Knife Holder, Woodgrain Finish: Kitchen & Dining
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 05:09 PM

20,859 posts, read 28,189,865 times
Guranteed it's made in China and I won't buy any products from China. Very hard to find made in the USA products. I'll buy from Germany, France, even Italy but not china or Japan.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:39 PM

22,643 posts, read 6,395,780 times
I have one that looks like that, have had it a couple of years now, I like it better
than regular knife holders I've had before....

Old 12-29-2011, 07:15 PM

61,240 posts, read 86,123,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Has anyone used one of these Kapoosh Knife Blocks? Instead of specified slots for differently sized knives, you slide the knives between thin plastic rods. They look cool but are they good for your knives? Do the rods get tangled over time? There's a notice at the top of this site that makes me a little nervous (although it might be nothing to worry about). Thoughts?
This notice has nothing to do with the product quality or use.
I have this kind of block for years, and find it much better than the holders with slots. The rods don't get tangled and the knives stay safe and sharp. I use it for two very oddly shaped knives that do not fit in any other block with slots.
You need to consider few things:
- the rods are pretty tight stuffed there, which means you might be able to stick 2-3 knives, but not more. To solve it, you can thin it by cutting few rows from the outside perimeter right at the base, using sturdy kitchen scissors.
- knives with a very long blade ( 8+") might stick out
- when pulled a knife out, sometimes tiny little black plastic flakes (sliced from the rods) came out on the knife with it ( you need to clean it, or rinse, otherwise you will get the flakes in your food)
- cleaning and drying the mesh is quite a task, but usually done in one day

In my opinion there are other options for differently sized knives:

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=761252&CCAID=FROOGLE761252 (broken link) magnetic stand
http://www.evasolo.com/products/eva/koekkenudstyr/

or
- you can duplicate this system with Bamboo skewers, and make a nice holder on the cheap

Here how to: http://www.chrisdiclerico.com/2005/0...fe-block-copy/
Same idea, different finish: http://www.thedesigngiftshop.com/pro...0-SKEWERS.html - the price is insane - DIY!
I am considering making one for myself.
- or use cool looking container filled with rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Guranteed it's made in China and I won't buy any products from China. Very hard to find made in the c block:USA products. I'll buy from Germany, France, even Italy but not china or Japan.
Don't be fooled with the items you buy from Germany, Italy, France etc. They also get their products made in China, however I believe that their quality/safety control might be much better than here in the US.
BTW: I didn't noticed any health concerns regarding products made in Japan.

Last edited by elnina; 12-29-2011 at 08:03 PM..

Old 12-29-2011, 07:45 PM

20,859 posts, read 28,189,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
This notice has nothing to do with the product quality or use.
I have this kind of block for years, and find it much better than the holders with slots. The rods don't get tangled and the knifes stay safe and sharp.

Don't be fooled with the items you buy from Germany, Italy, France etc. They also get their products made in China, however I believe that their quality/safety control might be much better than here in the US.
BTW: I didn't noticed any health concerns regarding products made in Japan.
I think we should all buy USA made products. I spent nearly 2 hours in BB&B trying to find stuff not made in china, I ended up finding a cutting board and a container to hold cereal that's made in the USA, also Rubbermaid products are made in the USA also. as for Germany, france and italy that maybe true with some products but I have done extensive research over the last week and have called companies and certain items are not made in china. I was online at Williams and sonoma and I wanted new everyday dish set, out of all of them 3 were not made in china. It just aggrivates me that stuff is made over there

Old 12-30-2011, 06:26 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,977,513 times
Fill a container with rice? That's a fascinating idea. I might just try that. I wonder how often I'd have to replace the rice.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:50 PM

I guess, when it gets dirty. But rice is cheap, and it will be a while.
The rice also keeps the blades nice and dry.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I think we should all buy USA made products. I spent nearly 2 hours in BB&B trying to find stuff not made in china, I ended up finding a cutting board and a container to hold cereal that's made in the USA, also Rubbermaid products are made in the USA also. as for Germany, france and italy that maybe true with some products but I have done extensive research over the last week and have called companies and certain items are not made in china. I was online at Williams and sonoma and I wanted new everyday dish set, out of all of them 3 were not made in china. It just aggrivates me that stuff is made over there
I didn't say that EVERYTHING is now made in China, but it seems to be harder and harder to find products made NOT in China.
Recently I was looking to buy a nice everyday flatware for a X-mas gift. I found out that except of those super expensive that cost thousands of dollars all are made in China. I went to Amazon.de just to find out that even Germany brands like Zwilling J.A. Henckels were made in China. Surprised? I was!

Made Somewhere Else: The Last American Silverware Factory Has Closed Up Shop

Last edited by elnina; 01-05-2012 at 12:25 AM..

Old 06-20-2012, 04:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,615 times
Hi Elnina (comment #4),
I am Kurt from http://www.thedesigngiftshop.com. We are a retailer for the above mentioned 900 Skewers Knife Block from Side by Side in your reply (#4 - the product from Germany).
1. I can asure you it is not made in China. It is handmade in Germany in a sheltered workshop in Bavaria. I have personally visited this workshop and you can read it also in our product description.
2. It is not cheap - I agree - but they try to refinance
partly their work with the handicapped people and, please don't forget, we are a website in Australia (from Germany on the other side of the world) and it has to be imported with costs involved.
3. The people from Side by Side were - as far as I know - the first to use skewers for a knife block more than 10 years ago. The other ones are not copies but they follow this initial idea. At the time they received the prestigious FORM Award for this design.
4. We offer a few more products from them because we want to support this fantastic initiative. (See http://www.thedesigngiftshop.com/bra...E-BY-SIDE.html )
You see I am emotionally involved with the products from this sheltered workshop - otherwise I wouldn't respond with so many words to your comment.
No hard feelings!
Kurt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink