U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 12:46 PM

10,778 posts, read 12,136,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I disagree about rice being processed. It's just harvested like everything else. You can't eliminate all grains. That wouldn't be healthy.
I want to keep grains in our diet. But from what I understand, some grains are more "processed" than other grains.

Ex: white rice is somehow less pure than brown rice.

I don't know if that is true or not.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 12:48 PM

14,203 posts, read 11,593,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I want to keep grains in our diet. But from what I understand, some grains are more "processed" than other grains.

Ex: white rice is somehow less pure than brown rice.

I don't know if that is true or not.

It balances itself out probably. Brown rice is higher in minerals then white rice. But white rices helps your body absorb it's minerals better than brown rice.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:51 PM

43,011 posts, read 103,257,358 times
I edited my post to make it more clear but I didn't elaborate on the differences between types of rices. My bad.

White rice is processed for longevity which strips away the nutrients so it's enriched with B1, B3 and iron to replenish some nutrients.

As far as I know, that's the only rice that's processed.

You want brown rice and wild rice.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:53 PM

43,011 posts, read 103,257,358 times
You can still have pasta if you want to make it from scratch.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:55 PM

14,203 posts, read 11,593,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You can still have pasta if you want to make it from scratch.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:48 PM

11,642 posts, read 22,739,521 times
When you talk about food being natural you have to distinguish between food that has been fabricated from natural ingredients and food that is fabricated with a bunch of chemicals. There are plenty of foods that have been fabricated that are healthy and wholesome.

I try to buy food that has been minimally altered by chemicals. That said, I do buy food that has been fabricated as long as it has been fabricated with mostly natural ingredients. An example is canned vegetables.

Canned vegetables have certainly been processed. However, the can of corn that I have in the pantry contains 2 ingredients (corn, water). There are other brands that have many more ingredients.

I also have a box of Pacific Natural Foods » Our Foods » Hearty Carton Soups » Minestrone with Chicken Meatballs Soup. It is made with natural, organic ingredients, but it is certainly processed by the manufacturer.

If you are trying to eat more wholesome foods you certainly can do so even if you have some convenience foods as part of your diet. You just have to be willing to read labels, know your ingredients, and pay more than you pay for the cheap stuff.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:53 PM

2,352 posts, read 4,424,374 times
The most concise explanation I've heard of unprocessed is "food in as close to its natural state as possible".

Old 01-02-2012, 01:56 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,377,102 times
Sticking to the food around the perimeter of the grocery store can help limit processed foods -- the center aisles are almost all processed foods. Of course there is processed stuff everywhere, but your chances of finding whole foods on the perimeter are much higher.

Re: grains: I suggest reading Wheat Belly by William Davis. Apparently the whole wheat we consume today has strayed so far from what it was once, and I have severely limited my consumption of it.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:04 AM

5,065 posts, read 15,208,371 times
I rarely cook with processed foods, meaning canned/boxed/frozen foods. We don't really care for pasta, instead we eat mostly brown rice or potatoes. We grill meat/chicken/fish most nights, and have veggies on the side. I either buy the veggies fresh, often from local farms, or buy them frozen from Trader Joe's with nothing added to them. I sometimes make various cheese sauces, but always with fresh cheese and milk, and I buy our eggs from local farms....when I make soups I use dried beans/fresh meat/veggies, and never use anything gross like boullion cubes...I do use Kitchen Basics broths, that has nothing but "real" ingredients, no added preservatives etc. and you can even get it salt-free. Last night we had roast chicken, homemade gravy with mashed potatoes, and Trader Joe's frozen corn. The butter and the corn were processed, I suppose. I guess I really don't understand the question, do people often eat things like hamburger helper? Haha..

Old 01-03-2012, 10:23 AM

42,661 posts, read 82,468,742 times
Moderator: Another moderator dumped this thread into your forum, and it duplicates one that was already placed here at the same time. They should be combined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink