Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 10:29 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Good question and something I'm trying to figure out.

I think a whole, plain potato is pretty much in it's natural state whereas rice has been through some sort of "processing." Peeled veggies are still all natural, but veggies coated in preservatives or a brine would not be. A cut piece of raw meat is natural as long as nothing (preservatives, salt, etc.) has been added to it.

I'm still in the process of trying to figure out what constitutes a strictly all natural food. Or at least what is natural enough to be considered "healthy."
They only thing that would fit your description is anything harvested wild and unadulterated.

Wild game, wild plants and unearthed minerals.

Everything else we consume is processed to one degree or another. Example your garden even if organic was manually manipulated to produce the food you eat. Even most wild game and fish stocks now can be defined as man manipulated. Sad huh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 07:08 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Eggs, onions, mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes, sliced potaotoes,
Fresh squeezed OJ, raspberries, cream.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:38 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I rarely cook with processed foods, meaning canned/boxed/frozen foods. We don't really care for pasta, instead we eat mostly brown rice or potatoes. We grill meat/chicken/fish most nights, and have veggies on the side. I either buy the veggies fresh, often from local farms, or buy them frozen from Trader Joe's with nothing added to them. I sometimes make various cheese sauces, but always with fresh cheese and milk, and I buy our eggs from local farms....when I make soups I use dried beans/fresh meat/veggies, and never use anything gross like boullion cubes...I do use Kitchen Basics broths, that has nothing but "real" ingredients, no added preservatives etc. and you can even get it salt-free. Last night we had roast chicken, homemade gravy with mashed potatoes, and Trader Joe's frozen corn. The butter and the corn were processed, I suppose. I guess I really don't understand the question, do people often eat things like hamburger helper? Haha..
I agree. Potatoes or rice, some chicken or beef, a few vegetables like steamed carrots or whatever--why do you have to add something processed to it? If you're a vegetarian, you can have a bean dish.

I do use a lot of frozen vegetables in the winter but they don't lose much of their nutritional value when frozen and I think they are likely to be better quality that something fresh that isn't in season here in the north and has been traveling on a truck for a few days. Just the place frozen veggies, not the ones frozen in stupid sauces with all kinds of junk in them.

I've got boneless chicken breasts in the frige marinating in lemon juice and garlic, will broil them tomorrow. We cooked frozen cauliflower and added it to leftover mashed potato last night and it was good with some herbs thrown in. (I hate cauliflower plain but it's also good with cheese over it).

So tomorrow it's the chicken breasts and maybe some rice or a baked potato and two frozen veggies. Or steam some carrots and then saute them lightly--yummy.

I just keep it simple because I don't like to cook but I don't GET the processed thing either--why would anyone need it?

Old 01-07-2012, 07:39 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,958,713 times
Barbecue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink