U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-03-2012, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Floribama
18,484 posts, read 39,422,556 times
Reputation: 17958

Advertisements

Maybe it's because I live in the South, but I've never been a fan of maple syrup, it just tastes too strong. Most folks in my area (especially the older ones) tend to prefer homemade cane syrup bought at farm stands and small grocery stores.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-03-2012, 09:43 AM
 
3,763 posts, read 8,317,736 times
Reputation: 4056
I make pancakes every Sunday- whole wheat, wheat germ, flaxseed meal, walnuts, etc. I never measure anything, just throw it in a bowl. Sometimes buckwheat flour, cornmeal, sesame seeds. It's always different. But always we have maple syrup. I add some blackstrap molasses on mine for iron.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Declezville, CA
16,801 posts, read 37,680,463 times
Reputation: 17541
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Maybe it's because I live in the South, but I've never been a fan of maple syrup, it just tastes too strong. Most folks in my area (especially the older ones) tend to prefer homemade cane syrup bought at farm stands and small grocery stores.
When I was ~12 years old, I stayed with an aunt and uncle in Bay Minette, Alabama for a couple of weeks. I remember going out for breakfast and pouring this dark, thick, vile tasting stuff from a glass decanter on my waffles. It was horrible. Don't know what it was, but I know what it wasn't (maple syrup).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 10:44 AM
 
25,626 posts, read 34,668,640 times
Reputation: 23231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
When I was ~12 years old, I stayed with an aunt and uncle in Bay Minette, Alabama for a couple of weeks. I remember going out for breakfast and pouring this dark, thick, vile tasting stuff from a glass decanter on my waffles. It was horrible. Don't know what it was, but I know what it wasn't (maple syrup).
I bet it was blackstrap molasses.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Floribama
18,484 posts, read 39,422,556 times
Reputation: 17958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
When I was ~12 years old, I stayed with an aunt and uncle in Bay Minette, Alabama for a couple of weeks. I remember going out for breakfast and pouring this dark, thick, vile tasting stuff from a glass decanter on my waffles. It was horrible. Don't know what it was, but I know what it wasn't (maple syrup).
Doesn't sound like cane syrup, it's typically a light amber.

I live 15 minutes away from Bay Minette BTW.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Declezville, CA
16,801 posts, read 37,680,463 times
Reputation: 17541
Yeah, I think it was blackstrap. Yuck.

southernnaturelover, I have roots in Baldwin County going back many, many generations.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 11:25 AM
 
Location: Bangor Maine
3,442 posts, read 6,207,360 times
Reputation: 4040
Love homemade pancakes with a small pat of real butter on top then the authentic maple syrup. If out of maple syrup a bit of molasses will do. Sometimes, in season, I like to make the pancakes with the low bush wild Maine blueberries.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Tricity
52,393 posts, read 74,086,387 times
Reputation: 117444
I never had those before I came to the US. I tried them in IHOP and I think that's the most tasteless, disgusting thing I ever ate.
I could not believe that people would eat a stack of 3-4, so I ordered it again in another place. Same taste.
By itself it taste like a mushy cardboard. With a syrup it taste like a cardboard with syrup.
BTW: waffles taste about the same... they only acquire some taste from the topping.

One pancake contains 149 calories. 76% percent of those calories are from carbohydrates, 11% are from protein and the remaining 13 % constitute calories derived from fat. Since an average American prefers to enjoy pancakes with syrup and butter, this must also be factored into the equation. One pancake with 2 tbsp. of syrup and 2 tbsp. of butter makes the calorie count climb to 355.
Most people eat 3 and that equal to 1065 empty calories from cardboard and fat and sugar.
The carbohydrate content of one pancake is high, and its fiber content is low.
( 28,26g; 1 g)

I don't know what is so wonderful about...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Floribama
18,484 posts, read 39,422,556 times
Reputation: 17958
Elnina, I'm not really a pancake lover either. I eat them maybe twice a year, but I always feel sick and bloated afterwards.

Ill take french toast over pancakes any day.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 12:27 PM
 
Location: Wherever women are
19,011 posts, read 28,317,689 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I never had those before I came to the US. I tried them in IHOP and I think that's the most tasteless, disgusting thing I ever ate.
I could not believe that people would eat a stack of 3-4, so I ordered it again in another place. Same taste.
By itself it taste like a mushy cardboard. With a syrup it taste like a cardboard with syrup.
BTW: waffles taste about the same... they only acquire some taste from the topping.

One pancake contains 149 calories. 76% percent of those calories are from carbohydrates, 11% are from protein and the remaining 13 % constitute calories derived from fat. Since an average American prefers to enjoy pancakes with syrup and butter, this must also be factored into the equation. One pancake with 2 tbsp. of syrup and 2 tbsp. of butter makes the calorie count climb to 355.
Most people eat 3 and that equal to 1065 empty calories from cardboard and fat and sugar.
The carbohydrate content of one pancake is high, and its fiber content is low.
( 28,26g; 1 g)

I don't know what is so wonderful about...
I just love you

But I also love pancakes. So I'll tell you what I do I load my pancakes up, butter, syrup and three thick ones.

In a couple hours, I'd be in the gym, would get out completely drenched in sweat. Works like a charm. Always burn away what I eat.

Last edited by Currency Pair Crocodile; 01-03-2012 at 01:38 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top