U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 04:01 PM

25,626 posts, read 34,671,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
were you able to finsih it all? I think I could take 2 bites of the potato and half the pancake.
I'm a big man about 6'4 with my Red Wings on. On a good day during the summer in 100 degree heat I can burn about 1O,000 calories and drink two gallons of water working before sun up to after sun down landscaping. So Yes I could and have finished those two plates of food you see in the pictures.

Now my blue ox babe on the other hand........

Seriously I have finished that meal I posted and I am a landscaper.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 08:08 PM

15,878 posts, read 27,915,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Do you have a favorite type of syrup or pancake?

I like very traditional. Plain. Buttermilk syrup. I don't know what the difference is between that and maple. But I like it a lot better than maple.

Blueberry? No thanks.

I always make my pancakes with corn meal and use out homemade maple syrup with it. And occasionally, fresh blueberries in the mix.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Why grade B and not grade A, Fontucky?
Grade A syrup is really light and may be better when using it in a cake or other baking applications.

Grade B syrup is much heavier and has a stronger flavor. In general, it comes later in the season.

The grades have nothing to do with the quality, just the color.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:19 PM

25,648 posts, read 25,541,890 times
Pancakes with real maple syrup. I like to use the small blueberries in them--you can get them frozen just like the ones we used to pick in the summer. (There are still some places where you can pick wild blueberries, the small sweet ones.......mmmmmmmmmmmmmm).

Old 01-03-2012, 08:41 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,062,779 times
I love pancakes with stewed blackberries on top or pumpkin spice pancakes with syrup. Not into the butter on top though

Old 01-04-2012, 11:03 AM

12,918 posts, read 15,557,281 times
What is the difference between fake and "real" syrup? I'm kind of skeptical of this idea.

Partly because I went to a restaruant who served buttermilk syrup or "real maple" if requested. I still preferred the buttermilk flavor.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:30 AM

6,472 posts, read 15,643,526 times
I prefer real maple syrup. It tastes good, and I think it has more vitamins than sugar syrups. I don't really like pancakes...but the ones that are the best are buckwheat or some other sort of whole grain pancake. I like to put bananas or apples in pancakes.

My favorite "pancakes" are banana fritters or pumpkin fritters from my country. We don't put eggs in the batter, and the result is chewier than "hotcakes." I like to eat them with a type of red herring sauce. It is dried red herring hydrated and cooked with tomatoes, garlic thyme etc, and poured over a dish of mashed green vegetables, which normally includes okra, spinach and eggplant.

The taste of the sweet pancake and the savory and salty fish, plus the vegetables is awesome. Sheesh, I feel like eating some this weekend!

Old 01-04-2012, 04:42 PM

11,525 posts, read 13,616,933 times
I use a part maple syrup, part agave syrup. Tastes like all maple, only a thinner consistency. But, I use it on fruit or in yogurt or something like that. Not a pancake fan--they sit in my stomach like lead after I eat them and I can only 1 anyways.
I like french toast--even Trader Joe's has a french toast that's pretty darn good. Not crazy about waffles either, kinda dry and hard to me.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:25 PM

4,585 posts, read 3,946,878 times
I like my pancakes (and waffles) with maple syrup but love them with strawberry preserves. (not at the same time)

Old 01-04-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
What is the difference between fake and "real" syrup? I'm kind of skeptical of this idea.
The difference is this.

"Real" maple syrup is the boiled sap of the sugar maple trees, generally only in the northern climate.

"Maple-flavored" syrup generally is corn syrup that is mixed with inferior grades of maple syrup. Generally, there is 1-2% maple syrup. It is generally much heavier than maple syrup.

Personally, I have NO problems with corn syrup. I just bought a bottle of Karo's Dark Corn Syrup for some recipes and I have a large can of Steen's Cane Syrup in my pantry. They are all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink