Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 07:07 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Only crusty bread for me! (I never buy bread, always bake it from scratch, and always crusty ones).

Baguettes are amazing, btw.
A good baguette is indeed a thing of wonder but it is such a shame that it is the only French breat which seems to have some kind of notoriety when there are so many to be found in the average "Boulangerie".

I personally love a good "campagne" sourdough, or a walnut or even bacon bread, "pain de son" ( bran bread one of my favourites), "pain de seigle" ( rye bread), etc...

These are the breads which I tend to buy when I go back to France as they are harder to find in the UK. The rye bread we get here tends to be German and Scandinavian and though very nice is completely different and much heavier than the Pain de Seigle found in France for example.

And I agree crustry bread really is the only kind of bread for me too . I do occasionally buy sliced wholemeal for toast but apart from that not keen on fake bread as I call it.

I never make my own though, baking is something I leave to the Professionals or to the seasoned cooks like yourself ! I am way too lazy and too scared to even attempt my own bread.

I adore good artisan bread, it is one of those crafts which many people do not appreciate. An acquaintance of mine recently asked what the fuss was about bread and said "bread is bread is bread" and I spluttered in protest !

Only someone who has never had really fresh bread , still warm from the oven can say that !

It is like the difference between a real croissant/pain au chocolat and the chemical ladden rubbish people sell in supermarkets around the world ( including France which sadly now is also losing this wonderful art).

A real croissant made by a craftsman baker with real butter is something which can bring the most ecstatic of sighs to someone's lips. Pure joy with its flaky, crumbly, golden layers of lightness , not quite sweet nor salty but just perfect.

Some good artisan bread and good artisan butter with a pinch of sea salt can make the loveliest of and most satisfying of snacks, add some artisan cheeses and charcuterie and you are on the way to culinary heaven !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 07:27 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,564,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpines View Post
Thank you for your answers. When you buy bread named "baguete", are you sure that it is a true because, to be a "real" baguette, the baker have to respect special rules like the type of yeast, the weight, the size.. In France there is very controlled however i don't know for the USA.
We don't have anywhere nearby that makes a proper baguette. I now make most of my own bread as the bread in the US is generally very disappointing.

The 'french baguettes' I can buy are much more like ciabatta (they are just baguette shaped) or sourdough and don't really taste of anything....

Old 01-09-2012, 09:31 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
A good baguette is indeed a thing of wonder but it is such a shame that it is the only French breat which seems to have some kind of notoriety when there are so many to be found in the average "Boulangerie".
Completely agree. I have not met a French bread I did not love.

Quote:
And I agree crustry bread really is the only kind of bread for me too . I do occasionally buy sliced wholemeal for toast but apart from that not keen on fake bread as I call it.
Things like bread, olive oil, spices, and chocolate have to be good imo.

Quote:
I never make my own though, baking is something I leave to the Professionals or to the seasoned cooks like yourself ! I am way too lazy and too scared to even attempt my own bread.
With a little dedication and attention, it is absolutely not complicated. The bread I make is very simple, much like a boule.

Quote:
An acquaintance of mine recently asked what the fuss was about bread and said "bread is bread is bread"
No... it is not.

Quote:
A real croissant made by a craftsman baker with real butter is something which can bring the most ecstatic of sighs to someone's lips. Pure joy with its flaky, crumbly, golden layers of lightness , not quite sweet nor salty but just perfect.
I could never make croissants, this is something way out of my league (not really a bad thing considering the amount of calories when one cannot possibly eat a single one!)

Quote:
Some good artisan bread and good artisan butter with a pinch of sea salt can make the loveliest of and most satisfying of snacks, add some artisan cheeses and charcuterie and you are on the way to culinary heaven !
Oh, Moose, why do you have to do that every time?!

Old 01-09-2012, 12:04 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
A crusty baguette, cheese, a pear, Pinot...can there be a better dinner?
I need protein and vegetables.

And chocolate. But I'll keep the wine!

Old 01-10-2012, 01:39 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Almost every supermarket in California has two types of baguettes: one is the real kind with a chewy, crispy crust ...... and the other is a phony kind that is simply white bread baked into a baguette shape. The phony kind is much cheaper, the real kind costs between $3-$4 which is 2.35-3.13 euros today.

I love a good, fresh baguette. I sure wish I could travel to France and try a real one (and unpasteurized French cheeses too). I enjoy them best simply with butter, or rarely with Camembert cheese, but also occasionally try to make a sub with one (a sandwich with many ingredients, normally made in a long thin loaf of softer Italian bread).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink