U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Extremely Easy 9 36.00%
Very Easy 4 16.00%
Kind of Easy 2 8.00%
It depends on the exact location/neighborhood/state/province/country etc. Sometimes very easy, other times very difficult, and everything in between. 8 32.00%
Kind of difficult 1 4.00%
Very difficult 0 0%
Extremely difficult 1 4.00%
Almost impossible 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 11:03 PM

7,275 posts, read 12,812,909 times

Advertisements

Personally, I voted “It depends on the exact location/neighborhood/state/province/country, etc. Sometimes it is very easy, other times very difficult and everything in between both sides of this continuum.”

I lived in 2 neighborhood where there was a huge lack of affordable/tasty/healthy food, drinks, and nutrition in general. I had to commute one hour away to find plenty of great affordable/tasty/healthy options.

But I also lived in 1 neighborhood where it was easy to find those types of foods/drinks/nutrition right around where the neighborhood was located.

Also, it can take quite a bit of effort to learn about all of the types of foods and drinks that are healthy, and all of the important nutrients/vitamins, which can affect somebody’s perception for where they can find plenty of affordable/healthy/tasty foods, drinks, and nutrition.

For one example, the first 17 years of my life I had a severe lack of knowledge about healthy food/drinks/nutrition. And it took about 1 to 2 years after that to find plenty of affordable/tasty options related to that.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 01-05-2012 at 11:12 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 06:15 AM

5,065 posts, read 15,220,835 times
As long as someone has access to a grocery store, it shouldn't be an issue. Even large chain grocery stores sell fresh fruits and vegetables. The problem is education, many people don't have a clue how to prepare a healthy meal.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:31 AM

20,097 posts, read 25,729,148 times
I agree with the poster above, if you have access to various types of food stores and chains then it should be fairly easy. I don't think may people know how to cook a healthy meal or they can't be bothered so they buy pre packaged stuff for convenience. I spent $127.00 this past tuesday, all healthy stuff from recipes I took from a lo fat cook book and I have enough meals to make for 6 days. with some leftovers. you can make many affordable meals likes soups and pasta dishes using fresh veggies.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:37 AM

16,617 posts, read 15,024,783 times
*I refuse to ever knowingly answer a poll where people can see what you chose.*

Old 01-06-2012, 08:38 AM

25,906 posts, read 40,709,510 times
"Tasty" is subjective. I've heard you can live on black beans and rice, but I wouldn't want to. I like a lot of variety in my meals, and I buy a lot of fruit and vegetables. Those can be expensive. I almost never buy prepackaged food except for pantry staples like cereal and crackers. I sometimes buy organic, and I don't waste a lot of food. My grocery bill is at least $250 a week. That does include paper goods, cleaners, shampoo, etc., but our food bill is still high. In my opinion, food is usually either:
- Healthy and tasty, but not cheap
- Healthy and cheap, but not tasty
- Cheap and tasty, but not healthy

On a prolonged basis, I mean. I have made chicken soup with a couple of chicken carcasses, water, herbs, and vegetables, and it was delicious for just a few dollars, but I'm not going to make that every day. I should throw "convenient" into the mix above.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:43 AM

7,228 posts, read 6,563,786 times
It's easy, but it takes some time and knowledge. It's astounding to me how ignorant so many people are about basic nutrition, let alone cooking.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:12 AM

5,342 posts, read 9,273,916 times
Healthy, tasty and cheap can be accomplished, you just have to be willing to put some effort into it.

Convenience products are expensive, and usually not as healthy as the less convenient ingredients.

A few examples: a large box of whole grain, old-fashioned rolled oats is cheaper than a large box of ready-to-eat cereal. There are also many more servings in the box of rolled oats. And then compare the nutrition and health benefits of rolled oats vs packaged breakfast cereal, and it's a no-brainer. But you have to take the extra effort to prepare the oats, and some imagination is required if you want to mix in blueberries, chopped apples, walnuts, or top with yogurt, sprinkle on cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.

Or compare the price of a bag of potato chips with a 5-lb bag of potatoes, the chips will cost more and not provide as many servings. There isn't much nutritional value in a serving of chips, but quite a few calories and grams of fat. Potatoes offer health benefits, good nutrition and endless variety in ways to cook and serve.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:42 AM

39,304 posts, read 69,824,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I spent $127.00 this past tuesday, all healthy stuff from recipes I took from a lo fat cook book and I have enough meals to make for 6 days.
For many families, that amount of money has to last 14 days or more, and feed 3 or 4 people.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:47 AM

39,304 posts, read 69,824,229 times
There's no black and white answer to this one.

If you live near a full-service grocery store, have no physical or transportation limitations, and have enough money to purchase fresh produce and whole-grain products, you can eat as healthy as you want.

On the other hand, if you live in a neighborhood where your only food choices are a small convenience store where the only produce is speckled bananas, if you have no way to get to the grocery store that's several miles away or to carry the food back with you, if you have a restricted income and your landlord doesn't supply you with a working refrigerator or stove, or your budget is otherwise severely constrained, your capacity for cooking healthy meals is quite limited.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:12 PM

3,442 posts, read 6,214,969 times
I guess I assumed that the poll was asking about restaurants. I guess I was wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink