Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 01:58 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,015,238 times

Advertisements

One thing I never got about stereotypes is how come on the one hand, there is a perception that "husbands can't cook" or will do an awful job relative to wives and thus it's a feminine thing, but on the other hand, there is the perception that most chefs are male, and the cliche'd image of a cook/chef is a man in a chef's hat. It doesn't really add up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 02:59 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I tried to prevent it all costs. When he would decide to cook, it would something like tripe stew.

The first time I was in Paris I wanted to see the great market of Les Halles. It was a dark and chilly night with a more than a hint of drizzle. After seeing the stalls and listening to the calls of the French foodmen for a while we really wanted to get warm and have some hot food. We found a small cafe where they served great bowls of tripe stew to be washed down with vin ordinaire. That middle of the night repast was one of the most satisfying and enjoyable I've ever had.

I'd give it a try but where do I find tripe?

My late wife and I both cooked, usually cooperatively. There's no place like a kitchen for good nibbling and good converation.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:05 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times
Using DH's lasagna recipe, so he is helping me make it.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:09 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The first time I was in Paris I wanted to see the great market of Les Halles. It was a dark and chilly night with a more than a hint of drizzle. After seeing the stalls and listening to the calls of the French foodmen for a while we really wanted to get warm and have some hot food. We found a small cafe where they served great bowls of tripe stew to be washed down with vin ordinaire. That middle of the night repast was one of the most satisfying and enjoyable I've ever had.

I'd give it a try but where do I find tripe?

My late wife and I both cooked, usually cooperatively. There's no place like a kitchen for good nibbling and good converation.
Yum is all I can say!!! Love tripe stew.

My dad does no regular cooking either... mom is an awesome chef / cook.
But when my dad makes his famous pork blood soup... that soup makes me drool always it is so yummy!

So I would love it if DH makes tripe stew!!!

Old 04-28-2012, 06:35 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
"Allow"?

Seriously??

Old 04-28-2012, 09:33 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,661,304 times
I don't understand this. Most of the great chefs in the world are men.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:00 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
When I was married I did all the cooking, it kept me and the kids from starving. The X could start a fire boiling water. Anyway I'm a great cook as I think most men are. And when I was finished, I made sure the kitchen was spotless. "Allow"? Seriously?

Old 04-30-2012, 01:12 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
"Allow"?

Seriously??
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
When I was married I did all the cooking, it kept me and the kids from starving. The X could start a fire boiling water. Anyway I'm a great cook as I think most men are. And when I was finished, I made sure the kitchen was spotless. "Allow"? Seriously?
Maybe "allow" is too strong of a word.

I "strongly prefer" to do most of the cooking. My husband cannot correctly follow a recipe (yet instructions for IKEA products and electronics are a walk in the park). I have attempted to demonstrate simple prep and cooking techniques. He doesn't get it...or his heart isn't in it. When he cooks, completely without my assistance, it's a diet of unseasoned hamburgers that are overcooked, dry, and inedible; fried (no, tortured) eggs swimming in grease; or reheated frozen crap. No thanks.

He "strongly prefers" to do all of the automobile maintenance and yard work. Me? Not even interested.

We each have our strengths and weaknesses. Cooking is not one of his, but it is one of mine.

He and I both prefer my cooking and the (relative) lack of indigestion and wasted food.

He and I both prefer driving in automobiles that are not likely to result in fatalities due to mechanical failure.

Works for us.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:22 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,187 times
Everyone, man or woman, should be able to do the very basics if they are pressed.

Me? I love to cook if I have the time. I'm a long way from a gourmet chef, but I have a picky girlfriend and never made anything she didn't like. We both like to cook.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:20 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I appreciate my DHs efforts when he cooks, because he wants to learn and be creative. Sometimes, though, he drives me nuts.
He'll ask me to email him the recipe for xyz, but then he won't read it carefully. Also, things I assume he knows, he doesn't and so guesses tragically wrong.
He made chicken parmesan with a tablespoon of salt instead of a teaspoon. Anyone with a clue would know better. Also since he likes onions, he puts too much into everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink