Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 10:04 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
The eggs do not absorb the butter, any more than a fillet of fish absorbs the oil it is cooked in. It does coat the eggs and that is really the right amount. If you go to a good restaurant and have scrambled eggs for breakfast, rest assured that they are so good because they were swimming in butter.

American homemakers are simply afraid of butter. A little time spent in a fine cuisine kitchen would cure that.
I was just busting balls.
I eat a lot of butter and coconut oil.

But I did not realize the eggs didn't absorb the butter. Really? Then why is it the more butter you use the better they taste? Or is there some kind of breaking point where no more will be absorbed? I'm talking about scrambled where you are constantly mixing vs an omelet or fried egg. Thanks!

Old 01-24-2012, 04:09 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,566,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Even my everyday flatware set is made in the USA. Have to get rid of my dishes, mugs and bowls and find stuff made here or not in China.
lubby, kudos to you for supporting our USA! I always love to hear people buy US made stuff vs. China etc.,

Old 01-24-2012, 04:14 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
I was just busting balls.
I eat a lot of butter and coconut oil.

But I did not realize the eggs didn't absorb the butter. Really? Then why is it the more butter you use the better they taste? Or is there some kind of breaking point where no more will be absorbed? I'm talking about scrambled where you are constantly mixing vs an omelet or fried egg. Thanks!
Well, I think the milk solids and the salt can be absorbed and that is where the bulk of the flavor is. And, scrambled do present a lot of surface area. But, if you use enough butter you will see the excess in the pan. Most people don't even use enough butter to coat the eggs. But, my sainted sister, GRHS, would drop a stick of butter in a saute pan just to soften up a few vegetables or fry an egg.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:47 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Thinking of just buying cast iron.
Some quick googling reveals that no one makes decent cast iron these days and it's better to buy vintage Griswold or Wagner off fleabay.
Thoughts?
Lodge

We have a few vintage pans, but our two dutch ovens and one of our frying pans is Lodge and we are quite happy with the quality.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-25-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Lodge

We have a few vintage pans, but our two dutch ovens and one of our frying pans is Lodge and we are quite happy with the quality.

20yrsinBranson
Thanks.
I do keep hearing that Lodge just isn't the same quality cast iron as the old stuff. Something about un-even heat dispersion? And a textured (rather than smooth) surface?

Old 01-25-2012, 01:21 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
lubby, kudos to you for supporting our USA! I always love to hear people buy US made stuff vs. China etc.,
Thanks my husband and I are very adiment about this. I want to buy a new bicycle but if it's made in China I am not getting it .

Old 01-26-2012, 06:35 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Thanks.
I do keep hearing that Lodge just isn't the same quality cast iron as the old stuff. Something about un-even heat dispersion? And a textured (rather than smooth) surface?
I have not noticed any huge difference in the quality or un-even heat. I'm sure that the new stuff isn't as good as the old stuff (what is?) but most of the older cast iron I have seen at flea markets, etc., are in bad shape. I suppose if I could get some that are in tip-top condition at a reasonable price, I'd buy them. But I am quite happy with Lodge.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-27-2012, 06:28 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
I'm always amazed to see non-stick pans with "lifetime" warranties. Mine last pretty well though, until the rest of my family gets their hands on them. They turn the heat on so high the pan smokes, and when I complain they just roll their eyes and tell me I'm paranoid.

I haven't read the comments on this thread, so I don't know if this has been mentioned, but it's not healthy to breathe in the fumes from a non-stick pan over high heat. It actually kills pet birds in a house.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:56 AM

Ok, I went ahead and ordered a lodge from amazon. I figure it's probably not THAT much different and it's cheap entry in the world of cast iron. Good way to test the waters. Saw a lot of good comments in the big cast iron thread that was posted earlier. I also grabbed one of those mits to cover the handle and a brush to help clean it. Thanks!

Old 01-27-2012, 03:31 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I'm always amazed to see non-stick pans with "lifetime" warranties. Mine last pretty well though, until the rest of my family gets their hands on them. They turn the heat on so high the pan smokes, and when I complain they just roll their eyes and tell me I'm paranoid.

I haven't read the comments on this thread, so I don't know if this has been mentioned, but it's not healthy to breathe in the fumes from a non-stick pan over high heat. It actually kills pet birds in a house.

Every so often someone trots out this shibboleth about the non-stick pans giving off "deadly fumes."

Its like the Russian gangs that kidnap folks to steal their kidneys.

Folks, you probably cannot get a non stick pan hot enough to give off anything on a residential stove top, and when it does finally burn off a little of the non stick coating it is about as hazardous as a person striking a kitchen match, or the cleaning of a spot on your suit with a spot remover.

Anyone who has had birds (like I have) knows that some birds will fall over dead if you leave the kitchen door open for 5 minutes. Anecdotal evidence of dead birds, is about as meaningless and anything there is. If you are telling me that a scientific study killed birds with overheated non stick pans, all I can say is "who in the hell would do that?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink