Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 03:03 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Let's rule out people on those silly diets...

And let's consider people over the age of 18...

Anyone surprisingly I've met a few adults now, mainly men, who state point blank they don't eat vegetables - at all. Except potatoes, of course, and maybe onions or perhaps lettuce in their burger. No surprise most are overweight and will probably suffer health problems. The reason? They don't like the taste. Maybe mamma never forced them to eat their greens.

I think people like that are immature...I'm sure they're pretty rare, I hope they're not more common than I think. I'm not bashing them, but I think it's a pretty immature attitude. I mean come on, most vegetables aren't like HORRIBLE to eat. Like lettuce doesn't have much taste, and tomatoes aren't bad. There's such a wide array of vegetables with different tastes and textures you're bound to find something you can tolerate. Done well veggies can be quite nice too.
I don't think those people were introduced to veggies in a variety of ways when they were younger to appreciate the health benefit that they add to your diet. People who do not eat veggies are missing out on valuable health benefits. I guess veggie torture when you're a kid does something to your memory and it turns you off when you're an adult completely. I had an uncle who had veggie aversion only meat & potatoes and he had health problems as an older adult, I think people are setting themselves up for a world of hurt because they're going to be lacking valuable minerals and vitamins their bodies need as they age. What about dietary fiber? World of hurt they're in for no doubt, a world of hurt.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:40 AM

21,541 posts, read 8,724,324 times
I feel sorry for people who won't eat vegetables. They're missing out on so much pleasure. Last night I tossed sweet potato wedges and sliced red onions with olive oil, roasted them in the oven at 425º, and then tossed them with fresh spinach leaves, salt and lime juice. The hot vegetables wilted the spinach just slightly. It was delicious!

Old 02-04-2012, 04:51 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

So, you think everything that is not vegetables is, "crap"?
Someone's forgetting their status statement!
No but I think that people who do not eat veggies on average do tend to favour unhealthier foods. I say this from my own observations.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:44 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I feel sorry for people who won't eat vegetables. They're missing out on so much pleasure. Last night I tossed sweet potato wedges and sliced red onions with olive oil, roasted them in the oven at 425º, and then tossed them with fresh spinach leaves, salt and lime juice. The hot vegetables wilted the spinach just slightly. It was delicious!
That sounds great, gonna try that tonight with lamb chops

Old 02-04-2012, 08:10 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,091 times
I love certain veggies, like artichoke, asparagus, squash, bok choy, cabbage....Im really hungry just thinking about them. I couldnt live without vegetables.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:06 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,125,351 times
[quote=Trimac20;22841823]No but I think that people who do not eat veggies on average do tend to favour unhealthier foods. I say this from my own observations.[/quote]

I was quoting and addressing believe007

Old 02-04-2012, 09:20 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
I don't think about it. What they eat or don't eat is none of my business.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:38 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I don't think about it. What they eat or don't eat is none of my business.
Right onwhy are people so concerned with this???

Old 02-04-2012, 10:37 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,893 times
I'd say, just don't make me pay for your medical bills once you have a coronary, get cancer, or diverticulitis.

Veggies take more love and care to cook and make them taste good. It isn't as simple as throwing on a glaze or spices and putting it into the oven. There's a very fine line between overcooked and cooked well. Many people are terrible at prepping vegetable dishes which is why they are probably turning themselves off to them. Many times I think veggies and fruits are superior to meat, there's simply much wider ranges of texture and flavors from plants than meat.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:12 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,164 times
It's not my place to judge other peoples' preferences on food. HOWEVER, I think most people that "hate" veggies probably had them prepared horribly throughout their childhood and force fed to them, which has created an aversion in adulthood. I think the majority of people would like fresh veggies if prepared well and cooked properly (NOT canned and NOT overcooked).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink