Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 05:23 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times

Advertisements

Hey, it's just a personal choice. For the people who like to eat squirrel, All the power to ya. Lots of people got offended because my family ate lots of mullets. They are big suckers that run the rivers in the spring. We would catch 500 pounds or more of them and fillet the whole works. We froze then individually and ate them all year. You never had a better fish.

My cousins shot and ate pigeons all the time. I have many a pigeon pie at their house. Those birds ate nothing but the grain they stole from the farms they hung around. I don't think I would like to eat a city one though.

I knew a few families that trapped hundreds of muskrats every spring for the furs. They also ate all of those rats and they are very good. Same thing with the beaver trappers. It would be a crime to throw away and waste all that good meat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 09:18 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
See on LI I think we take fresh killed food for granted.Most of us being born and raised on LI probably have no clue about eating squirrel, muskrat, possum ect... because we did not grow up eating that type of food. Most LIer's just go to the local grocery store and buy packaged meats, eggs and milk. They don't own farms where the eggs and milk are fresh.Now I am just generalizing LI. I personally think LIer's are spoiled with all the fast food chains, convenience stores. I mean I literally live 10 min from like 5 grocery stores, and someone maybe from another state would have to drive 30 min to get milk. Life seems so much simpler outside of NY.We are so conditioned to eat packaged foods and I think that's why we Turn our noses up at the thought of eating squirrel.It's just not something you see on a typical LI families table at dinner.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:31 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyOgre View Post
Oh yeah... I have eaten, pickled hog jowls, gizzards smothered in gristle, possum shanks, southern-fried muskrat, goat tripe, pork brains, fried chicken feet/heads, squirrels, rabbits, dove, snakes, snails, frogs, crabs, crawdads, gator, conch and just about anything else that walks, crawls, slithers, swims or flys that I could catch.

All good for you. People used to make fun of me in the military cause of the things I had eaten as a kid growing up. When we would get deployed out and were a few days out of resupply I was eating good while they were stuck with C rations.
Oppossum - the other white meat.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:52 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,246,109 times
On Boardwalk Empire they called them tree rats.

also, lmao @ "rats with good PR"

Old 02-08-2012, 03:00 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I grew up on squirrel and rabbit and quail...........When we had squirrel mom would always do a chicken as well.....and us kids would fight over the squirrel. With five kids in the family we would have to have at least 6 squirrels on the platter. That and a big platter of biscuits and chicken/squirrel gravy made from lard and cream..............
Oh My! Not that's some fine eatin' !

Old 02-08-2012, 03:13 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
got a freezer full of the buggers right now! Love the big red ones the best!!! Those lil grey are small!!!!! Make sure you hunt them in late fall winter and have a sharp knife as the skin is tough! Granpa tought me how to make a "hanger" to assist in holding while skinning, pretty simple if you have a foot or so of #9 wire!

Old 02-08-2012, 03:35 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,759,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
See on LI I think we take fresh killed food for granted.Most of us being born and raised on LI probably have no clue about eating squirrel, muskrat, possum ect... because we did not grow up eating that type of food. Most LIer's just go to the local grocery store and buy packaged meats, eggs and milk. They don't own farms where the eggs and milk are fresh.Now I am just generalizing LI. I personally think LIer's are spoiled with all the fast food chains, convenience stores. I mean I literally live 10 min from like 5 grocery stores, and someone maybe from another state would have to drive 30 min to get milk. Life seems so much simpler outside of NY.We are so conditioned to eat packaged foods and I think that's why we Turn our noses up at the thought of eating squirrel.It's just not something you see on a typical LI families table at dinner.
I think this applies to most of the rest of the country as well.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:50 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I have a dear, hard working customer, who was the youngest of 10 children. She is a black woman who works hard in a local hotel. At Christmas time she was going to have a reunion with her siblings, and the family had been saving up a bunch of foods like raccoon and squirrel, and Lord knows, whatever else they had hunted and saved for the occasion.
To them, I suspect it was a lot like the Norman Rockwell painting.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:12 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Squirrel in a gas oven is fairly tame. We once field-cooked a big kangaroo rat over dried cow chips just to see what the early pioneers to the southwestern U.S. faced. Yep, it tastes like poop-smoked rodent.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:33 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Had squirrels and have to admit that their meat is nutty and sweet, buttery and tender. Very tasty.
Squirrel Peking-duck style, slow cooked with vegetables, breaded and pan fried, or squirrel stew - delicious!!
And remember: squirrel is low-fat and free-range.

BTW: I heard that squirrel is, in fact, one of the most popular game animals in the eastern US. Aren't there about 1.8 million hunters of squirrels in our country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink