Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 11:19 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times

Advertisements

Just a question... to the general public...

When the SHTF (dooms day) scenario...
Will you still eat the one & only "Arsenic laden baby food" IF you are super hungry & it is the only pack of food you found to eat???

= the difference in how "spoiled" a mentality today's people are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 11:29 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Just a question... to the general public...

When the SHTF (dooms day) scenario...
Will you still eat the one & only "Arsenic laden baby food" IF you are super hungry & it is the only pack of food you found to eat???

= the difference in how "spoiled" a mentality today's people are.
You completely misinterpret my point.

I'm saying it can't be avoided so the best solution is to diversify diet and don't stick with the same sources.

It's a simple, rational concept. But only eating locally is paranoid because it's a delusional piece of mind.

The difference with baby forumula is that babies can't diversity----they eat the same thing all day long.

If there's a healthier forumula option, it's a no brainer to pick that for the baby.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:38 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You completely misinterpret my point.

I'm saying it can't be avoided so the best solution is to diversify diet and don't stick with the same sources.

It's a simple concept. Not paranoid at all.

As a matter of fact, only eating locally is more paranoid because it's a delusional piece of mind.

The difference with baby forumula is that babies can't diversity----they eat the same thing all day long.
Nooo... I agreed with you!
Thus I said, there is arsenic in all soils.... small amount / big amount.

And local diet is also another form of "diversified" diet / part of it.
One cannot say no to that nor "leave it out" if it is "diversified" right???
Neither did I say totally eat all local... but I do believe in eating "more" local because if you are used to traveling.... there is a belief that the local won't get sick from drinking their local water (because their system is "used" to it)
= why we should eat "more" local.
(More is not saying No nor totally).

My baby do not eat the same thing every day... resorting to eating the same thing every day is "set" or dictated by the product purchaser (parents / maid / housekeeper / nanny / childcare etc.). In fact, I rotated my baby food from SG, Korea, Indonesia to US stuff etc., from home cooked to even some restaurant eatings... from ikan billis rice formula to barley malt drinks, from chewing on korean puff rice to finger cookies... from homegrown carrots from FIL that is cooked & ground up to baby food jars. Before that, I even breast-fed... and eat good stuffs myself to pass onto baby.

I have to be "diversified".
I am a foreigner here & know how to cook Chinese (but knowing the methods will not buy MIC, part chinese myself), Malay, Indonesian, Singaporean, Thai, Korean, Vietnamese, Italian, Polish, Swedish, and normal "American" foods. I like to eat... so have to love all foods... even those that is not good for you or even what most people will not eat (love my organ meat, craved sushi while preggo & still ate it but no probs to kid b/c I am used to a fish diet, eat snakes, frogs, snails, squirrels, snapping turtles... don't mind trying worms etc.).

Last edited by hueyeats; 02-17-2012 at 11:48 AM..

Old 02-17-2012, 02:05 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Commit to buying "local" & cooking "local" if you have to buy... or garden the harvest yourself. Best never to buy "foreign" or especially ANY "MIC" products as they really only care about the profit, not the foods.
My garden's soil content is primarily rusted nails and construction debris, topped with broken jars and pottery, and topped with bee hives nesting in a mix of back yard mulch, top soil, and dead crickets.

Oddly enough, I don't get sick eating the herbs that grow vociferously and thrive in my garden. Even better: zero aphids; the thousands of spiders that make webs in between the oregano plants keep them at bay.

My back yard is as local as it gets. It's also 100% organic; I don't use fertilizer of any kind, ever, and I don't even water it. I shovelled out some holes, stuck the perennials into the holes, covered them with topsoil, and let nature do what nature does.

Conversely, the apple orchards that make Connecticut one of the best places to find apple orchards, are on land that had once used arsenic as a pesticide. The poison permeates the land, and it doesn't dissolve. Our apples are delicious, and local, and now - organic - since nothing new is added to them 40, 50 years after the fact. But the fact remains that some of the orchards have trees and produce apples containing trace amounts of arsenic.

That trace amount - is infinitismal, compared to the amount you'd need to consume to cause harm, or even put yourself at risk of harm.

Think, 1/100,000,000 is what you will consume in an apple, and you need 1.0 to get sick. So you'd need to eat 999,999 apples to get sick. Odds are, you won't eat that many apples in a lifetime. I wouldn't worry about it.

Same with rice. If you're eating takeout once a month, worry more about the fattening sauces or the sodium. If you eat rice as part of your daily diet, you still probably won't consume enough in your lifetime, to cause arsenic poisoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink