Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What percentage of your meals do you buy?
80-100% 8 17.78%
60-80% 2 4.44%
40-60% 5 11.11%
20-40% 6 13.33%
Under 20% 24 53.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 07:00 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

What percentage of meals do you buy and what percentage do you cook/make? Obviously I'm not talking money spent on groceries! lol. This includes sandwiches and stuff you bring to work, of course. Also exclude TV-dinners, ready made meals and meals you buy at the supermarket. Meals bought at markets etc count.

And let's exclude breakfast from this comparison, although I'm aware many buy breakfast it's much less common than buying lunch or dinner.

I was thinking about this the other day. I probably eat lunch out most of the time - I did virtually all of the time when I worked, and probably will when I return to work, but probably eat dinner at home 3/4 of the time. Oh that doesn't include takeaways of course. Home-cooked meals only. So if I averaged them out, I'd say about 60/40 home/eating out, or 40% of meals bought at restaurants, fast food, cafes.etc, either eaten there or at home.

What about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 07:06 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
90 % of time I cook my meals and use leftovers for lunch or next nights dinner. I do buy cold cuts (ham & turkey) for me for lunch. Neither of us eat out for lunch unless we are on vacation somewhere. My DH has a busy job and he really does not get a lunch break so he's lucky he has 15 minutes to eat standing up. I cook all my meals from scratch and never buy anything pre-packaged except for maybe frozen veggies without the sauces & ice cream.I never buy canned veggies or jarred sauces. I make my sauces from scratch. the other 10% is either 1 night a week take out or dining out somewhere.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:11 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
90 % of time I cook my meals and use leftovers for lunch or next nights dinner. I do buy cold cuts (ham & turkey) for me for lunch. Neither of us eat out for lunch unless we are on vacation somewhere. My DH has a busy job and he really does not get a lunch break so he's lucky he has 15 minutes to eat standing up. I cook all my meals from scratch and never buy anything pre-packaged except for maybe frozen veggies without the sauces & ice cream.I never buy canned veggies or jarred sauces. I make my sauces from scratch. the other 10% is either 1 night a week take out or dining out somewhere.
Yeah I generally eat out for convenience sake. Most of the time my cooking tastes better, and I'm no chef. I do have an acute sense of taste, an intuitive understanding of how all the flavours come together, ingredients, seasoning etc so my meals are usually tasty and pretty authentic tasting (i.e. if I cook Italian it tastes like a good Italian restaurant, if I cook Japanese it actually tastes better and more authentic than most Japanese restaurants). Oh what was that about me not being a chef, I'm not being boastful, I'm still a real novice, so if a novice like me can cook like that lol.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:15 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
well I only work partime so I am home alot to cook big meals. Eating out gets expensive. I used to do that like 5 years ago eat lunch out all the time when I had a full time job. Got to conserve somewhere.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:35 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
I can't even imagine eating out or buying pre-made meals most or all of the time. Most everything we eat is homemade. I bring my own sandwiches or soups to work.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:37 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,424,323 times
Cook everything from scratch 99.5% of the time.
Except I do buy cake, cookie and brownie mixes almost 100% of the time.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:06 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
I travel a lot for work, so probably eat 60% of meals out. I don't pay, though, my company does, so I don't know how to answer your poll.

I do cook and bake most meals from scratch when I am working close to home and on weekends.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:37 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,795 times
Zero percent. I cook everything from scratch -- we don't own a tin opener so there is not a tin of anything in our pantry, and the only frozen packages I buy are frozen peas and corn when they are on sale.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:39 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I almost never buy lunch. I don't get a long enough lunch break to leave and have no dining out options near my work, so I bring lunch. We eat dinner ou fairly often, perhaps 2, 3x a week. We've talked about how if we end up being in a position where we want to trim back expenses, etc, that wil be an easy place to make cuts. But for now, it's a worthwhile splurge that we'll enjoy while it lasts. We've talked about how, when/if we have kids, it will become a special treat, but that time is not here yet.

I do enjoy cooking , but only do it when I have lots of time to spend on it, which is usually not on work nights.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:36 PM

17,380 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Of the 14 (lunch/dinner) meals that we have a week. I eat one of those meals out at a restaurant and I bring home one fast food meal.

Dinners are pretty much all from scratch, but we do have an occasional rotisserie chicken.

I switched to homemade (from frozen microwavable) lunches at the beginning of the year. Now I'm making soups, sandwiches, salads at home. But there are some days where I substitute canned soup.

If I include canned soup and the rotisserie chicken, my premade meals are roughly 30-40%; from scratch meals 60-70%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink