U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 09:06 AM

18,234 posts, read 22,638,715 times

Advertisements

I have never made a yeast bread before. My mom has been making her orange marmalade bread for 30 years now. I have always had the recipe but was scared to try and make it. I would say I am a novice in the kitchen when it comes to cooking and maybe moderate when it comes to baking (don't bake alot) well so far so good. It's rising nicely in the bowl and then when it doubles in size I have to punch it down cut the dough in half and place each piece in a well greased loaf pan and let it rise again then bake it. This recipe makes 2 loaves. I am off this week so I thought I'd try this. The bread also has honey in it. It tastes great toasted with butter or jam.I'll let you know the outcome later today once it's baked.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 10:38 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,837,769 times
Good luck. I hope it turns out good. I have a simple recipe for white bread that I make about once a week in winter. We don't like store bought light bread any more after eating it.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:45 AM

If this turns out good I might try and make other yeast breads. This one is almost like a honey oatmeal bread with marmalade, since there are oats in it. My mom makes bricohe too which is next on my list to try and bake.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:07 AM

7,525 posts, read 15,422,341 times
One of my favorites is Angel Biscuits.

Angel Biscuits Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes

This recipe is almost exactly what I use, except I use lard instead of shortening, and I use some whole wheat flour instead of white flour exclusively.

I for a yeast loaf, try a good potato bread. Again I use some whole wheat instead of all white flour and lard instead of shortening.

This recipe is similar to mine: Potato Bread III Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I will on occasion use molasses or raw sugar instead of white sugar as well, Add a bit of extra, and roll out thin after the first rising cover with maple syrup, cinnamon, and pecans, roll, slice, let it rise, and bake and have a semi healthy cinnamon roll for breakfast

Old 02-20-2012, 04:54 PM

10,296 posts, read 11,968,673 times
When I was a teenager, I made a lot of homeade yeast breads--white, Italian and sweet breads with yeast. I made a french chocolate coffee cake w/ yeast, boy, after you eat it fresh you can freshen it up again and again by re-heating a piece. I've made homeade (yeast) donuts, too. After they were deep fried, the were dipped in chocolate, then nuts. Cinnamon raisin bread is probably one of my favorites and white bread.
I had a bread thingy in my last oven that did it for you, you just added the ingredients, but there's something special about making your own breads.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:11 PM

21,871 posts, read 13,623,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
One of my favorites is Angel Biscuits.

Angel Biscuits Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes
Looks great - thanks for posting

I make cinnamon rolls. I don't make the icing because I think they are sweet enough. - TheNest.com

Old 02-20-2012, 06:20 PM

Well I gave one loaf to my neighbor and she tasted it and said it was excellent. Her 2 yr old son was saying MMMM as he was eating it. Her 2 older daughters loved it too. In the 1 hour I was over there chatting half the loaf was gone. I am freezing the other one I made for now. I will be making 2 more loaves tomorrow, giving one to my mom and one to a friend. Let's see if my mom thinks it's as good as hers LOL.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:31 PM

866 posts, read 1,018,297 times
I love baking bread at home...learned when I was a kid...everything was done by hand back then...
The kneading was the most tiring part...I remember one time I beat the dough so hard on the bread board that I broke it(the board)...Mom was not happy about that...

Now-a-days I use a bread machine...just dump everything in and the machine does the rest...
Have tried a few times to mix it all by hand but I don't have the strength in my hands anymore, and the rising part is iffy at times...so the machine is the best way for me...
As for types, I make potato bread most often,using both whole wheat and bread flour...also make oatmeal, & whole wheat some...have at least 6 bread machine cookbooks to choose from so there are lots of recipes to try...

Old 02-20-2012, 07:33 PM

40,254 posts, read 49,764,345 times
Cardamom bread from an old cookbook, called Swedish Food.
It is a sweet bread with a yummy smell.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:37 PM

13,253 posts, read 38,600,102 times
I only make Challah, so I don't bother with a bread machine. It's yeasty and eggy. The recipe I use calls for 6 eggs and 8-9 cups of flour, with 2 yeast cakes. It's triple-risen - you rise it, punch it down, rise it again, punch it down, braid the loaves, let it rise again, do the egg wash over the top, and THEN bake it.

The hardest part is blending the liquids with the solids. You really need a wooden paddle for that and my hands get cramped up after awhile.

I make a few variations - some I add raisins and cinnamon and sugar, some I add shaved hershey bar and sprinkle cocoa powder over the egg wash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink