Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 08:48 AM

41,757 posts, read 74,749,634 times

Advertisements

A glass of water. I get thirsty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Early the next morning, she met us in the driveway and gave each of us a can of beer. She told us that her husband never ate breakfast before a day of fishing, only drank one beer. It was my first breakfast beer.
Breakfast of champions! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 04:12 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,226,927 times
just read an article today in prevention magazine, suggesting the importance of a glass of wine with dinner. I think this shows us, no one knows what is good or bad and I doubt there is an answer: I suggest we just continue whatever makes us happy..

Old 02-29-2012, 04:25 PM

114,841 posts, read 65,536,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
just read an article today in prevention magazine, suggesting the importance of a glass of wine with dinner. I think this shows us, no one knows what is good or bad and I doubt there is an answer: I suggest we just continue whatever makes us happy..
Precisely!

Old 02-29-2012, 04:48 PM

653 posts, read 941,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I was at a doctor appointment the other day and she told me I (people in general) shouldn't drink beverages with meals as doing so causes us to eat more (too much) as food goes through the stomach faster.

She also said (one of the reasons) people in Europe are thin (is) because they tend not to drink beverages with meals.

Does this sound right to you?

PS. I did my due diligence and couldn't find a thread similar to this but it isn't an easy thread to search for using key words.
I've been reading this a lot lately on health blogs I follow, regarding how drinking with meals affects the enzymes in your tummy needed for digestion, etc. and it's recommended that you drink 30 mins. prior to a meal instead, etc. However, as health conscious as I am, this is one tip I won't be following.

I've always done the opposite (not on purpose) and I've never had a problem. I also fill up much quicker than people I dine with (which is opposite to what your doctor is saying), and it's likely because I drink 3-4 12 oz. glasses of water with each meal, five mini-meals per day.

(Disclaimer: I do have a slight water addiction that I'm working on to avoid flushing out precious nutrients, however, whether or not I drink with a meal is of no concern to me as I still haven't seen strong enough data to convince me otherwise. To me, the bigger concern is what you're drinking.)

Last edited by dclamb3; 02-29-2012 at 04:56 PM..

Old 08-02-2012, 02:52 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,718,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles
I was at a doctor appointment the other day and she told me I (people in general) shouldn't drink beverages with meals as doing so causes us to eat more (too much) as food goes through the stomach faster.
Sounds interesting but how can you NOT DRINK when eating?? (I would think it might be hard)

Old 08-02-2012, 11:33 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,294,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Sounds interesting but how can you NOT DRINK when eating?? (I would think it might be hard)
Actually there was a health guru at the beginning of the 20th Century named Horace Fletcher who promoted his system of avoiding all beverages during meals, and chewing every bite of food 32 times, at a rate of 100 "chews" per minute. This was called Fletcherizing, and it was a huge fad for quite a while in the early 1900s.

Fletcher's theory was that by chewing food vigorously, without any beverage, that you stimulated the production of a lot of saliva, and that by thoroughly mixing it with the food your digestion would improve and... in one of those big leaps that health gurus are prone to... all manner of diseases would be cured and miracles would happen, etcetera.

When I was a kid had friends who lived across the alley whose parents believed in Fletcherizing, and it was soooooo weird to eat lunch at their their house. They'd take a bite of sandwich and then chewandchewandchewandchewandchewandchewandchew... and then swallow. And then after we finished eating we all had to wait 20 minutes before we could have our glass of milk.

I think the OP's Doctor sounds like she may have been influenced by Fletcherizing... but in no way was she coming from a mainstream medical position.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:06 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,134,181 times
I never heard anything like that. But I do know grandparents never allowed us to have a drink until our meal was atleast half finished. It was because they didn't want us to fill up on a drink.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:19 AM

17,468 posts, read 38,890,196 times
I guess I have always heard that drinking water, sodas, etc. while eating a meal interferes with digestion, and you should consume your beverage before or after eating. I have never done this; I need liquid to swallow my food (wash it down, so to speak). I think probably a happy medium is best - try not to drink TOO much while actually eating, and drink most of your water at other times. Also, I like coffee with my breakfast and wine with my dinner, and no one is going to convince me this is bad!

Old 11-17-2013, 07:50 AM

92 posts, read 108,452 times
My parents did the same with us, for the same reasons. I never liked it because I love drinking water (other beverages .. not so much) with my meals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I never heard anything like that. But I do know grandparents never allowed us to have a drink until our meal was atleast half finished. It was because they didn't want us to fill up on a drink.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:16 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,688,889 times
you arent suppose to drink any liquids when you are eating, the first step in digestion and nutrient absorption is thru your saliva and mouth. drinking liquids while eating washes your saliva away and takes this first digestive process away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink