Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 08:08 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,661,952 times

Advertisements

Potato salad is always good!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 09:16 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,384,797 times
Thanks so much guys! These are wonderful ideas! I just suck at this with my busy schedule, and running to the store isn't always an option. So I'm stocking up. I'll put all this stuff in a little box in the cupboard labeled "That Potluck Thing." You are GREAT!!

Old 05-29-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
This was my ex's grandmother's recipe, it won me 1st prize in a cook off

This makes a lot...

Serve with your favorite home made bread

Ingredients

1 Phg. College Inn Chicken Broth (2 lb Box Easy Open Resealable Container)
Dry Chicken Flavoring or Dry Beef Flavoring preferred taste to preference.(I add a little of both)
2 phg. Hillshire farms Kielbasa saug. Sliced 1" pieces
2 Bay Leaves - Fresh
Fresh Thyme Just a pinch
Fresh Sage just a pinch
Pepper
Throw together and bring to a slow boil all for approx. 20 minutes

Add
1 Large Onion
5 - 6 Carrots sliced
4 bags of frozen Green Beans (2 Green, 2 Yellow if available) or use fresh green and yellow beans or use all green beans if yellow bean are not avaiable...
Cook until almost tender approx. 10 minutes

ADD

4 - 5 med. Red Potatoes, I use Red and dice into cubes
Mild Cheddar Cheese Shredded 1/2 cup or more
1 Quart of Half and Half
Do Not drain when adding the half and half, keep in the pot any liquid that is already there

Remember, do not cook frozen beans long as they are already somewhat soft from being frozen.
If you use frozen green beans add them last.
(if you use fresh beans, then cook longer till almost tender) then add the other ingredients…fresh beans take longer to cook tender)
Hint, if you don't want the beans cooked hard, just till tender, remove with a ladle and add later in the end.

In a skillet melt 2T of Butter, when bubbling add approx. 2 T. of Hungarian Paprika
Stir until Paprika almost burns on high heat.not long

Add to soup and bring soup to a slow heat, do not boil
Make a past of approx 1/4 c. of Flour Add little bit of water and stir smooth and thick
add to soup until smooth
Add to soup when soup is just about done
allow to thicken, you may want it thicker so add more flour to your liking.

This soup is deliciousyou can serve with white vinigar and add sea salt to taste. We love it thickserve warm fresh baked bread with it.

This makes a great soup for all day, in winter...just serve with a really outstanding home made loaf of bread....

OMG - I gained 3 pounds reading that!
Sounds yummy!!!
THANKS!

All these are great!
The most important ones for me are the ones with ingredients I can keep in my cupboard. Sometimes I have NO fresh food, NO time to run to the store, and as I pull into my driveway from the airport the neighbors are out with the tents and tables and chairs and they wave me over. Can't always be the one bringing paper goods! LOL Guess I could stock up on wine and beer. Of course then I'd be that wino lady who ain't never home!

I have to confess that the last two potlucks I dipped into my freeze dried food stash that i keep around for emergencies. You know, when yer campin' that stuff is great. When it is set next to Fajita fixin's the neighbor has been slaving over for 3 days... not so much.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Sunshine cake! I first saw this recipe in Prevention magazine and made it right away. It is so fresh and light and delicious. Unfortunately, my menfolk won't eat it anything with pineapple or Mandarin oranges so I never get to have any. All the ingredients are easy to keep on hand.

Quick Sunshine Cake Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh! WOW! I just made this. What an amazingly easy recipe, and I finally got some potluck Looooove from my peeps in the 'hood. I have not been hitting any home runs and this one hit it out of the park. Thank you!! (blowing kisses!)

Old 09-20-2013, 09:53 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,215 times
Default Potluck ideas

Yet another round of potluck at work. I want to do something inexpensive and would prefer that I do not have to purchase many items.

Off the bat I know I have plenty chicken in the deep freezer. In the past I've done pulled chicken sandwiches and buffalo chicken dip. Any new ideas? They do not have to include chicken and I am known for bringing in a main entree or great dip.

Thanks.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:11 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,745,517 times
Greek chicken and rice casserole
You can do arroz con pollo ( Spanish style chicken and rice)
Imperial chicken rice same as above but with ham mixed in and cheese melted on top.
ravioli Bianca bake with chicken
Chicken penne casserole
Home style Chicken tender bake

I got tons more, would do large dinners for my sons and their friends when they grew up so usually a crowd of hungry teens for weekend.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:59 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
If inexpensive is important, you need to train your friends to stop expecting a meat main dish from you.

Train them to expect home made dinner rolls from you, or a sheet cake, instead of enough meat to feed the whole crowd.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:49 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,215 times
Thanks to the previous 2 posters.

I work in an environment with a variety of people (military). Some of the kids just don't make a lot of money and canot cook (lack of skills, living in barracks, etc) so it kinda falls back on people like me to "make" something. There is also varied religious beliefs so I try to be conscious of that and use cheap chicken when I can.

I have decided to make chicken gumbo in my crockpot.

Last edited by CMichele; 09-21-2013 at 10:12 AM..

Old 09-21-2013, 10:01 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
8 can taco soup and a pan of homemade corn bread feeds a crowd for not much money. I buy store brand vegetables, make up my own bulk taco seasoning instead of buying the envelopes and use my own cooked and shredded chicken instead of buying canned chicken. I also make up my own chicken broth from cooking my own chicken but you can easily make your own broth from a cube vs buying broth. These substitutions help keep the cost down. It's nutritious and low fat as well. That's nice of you to do for others since they live in the barracks. You are paying it forward and someday those people will be able to do for others and remember your kindness.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:19 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
I'll make hummus with pita, taboulleh, or Russian potato salad. I've made curried chicken and I always like it when others bring pansit, siopao, samosas, jerk chicken, butter chicken, saltfish and ackee, rotis, taramasalata, etc.
Our potlucks are like a gastronomical trip around the world. Lovely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink