Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 02:04 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i agree 100%. the idea of taxing junk foods is bs, why should the government get more revenue because of people's bad habits? if the idea is healthcare costs, then push more of the costs on the people (but not to the government).

its all statistics and algorithms. you can never know what any single person will cost, but you can take all their info (bloodwork, physical, smoker/non-smoker, drinker/nondrinker, etc.) and factor that into the price for each individual. like geico does for my car insurance and my life insurance company did when they came up with my life insurance price.
Basically we pretty much agree on this, just with a little different angle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 02:07 PM

577 posts, read 899,956 times
Apples are difficult for little kids to eat, and who's going to cut them with those wimpy plastic forks? I think a lot of apples are going to end up in the trash or the parents will eat them.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:10 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
My kids like the regular apples that we have at home but they do not like those McDonald's apple slices. I've tried them and they really do taste different from freshly sliced apples. My kids won't even try that caramel dipping sauce, nor will they touch that little package of Happy Meal cookies...

The Happy Meal is being turned into the Sad Meal. Why buy a box of food that my kids won't eat? I guess we'll have to order off of the dollar menu and see if we can still get a toy.. But then again, why bother. They're outgrowing those toys anyway. Might as well just grill 'em burgers at home and save ourselves a few bucks.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:11 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,514,622 times
cool

Old 07-28-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
cool
Yah. Customers are a pain. Why please those people? LOL.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:55 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Fries, good.
Apples, bad.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:12 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
this is a bit off subject, but i just want to say something. a couple of you mentioned to have the kids ride their bikes to school or to friends house, spend more time playing outside etc...like we all did. i went out after school or on Saturday mornings and didn't come back in till dark.

unfortunately thanks to far too many sickos i wouldn't let my son out the way my parents did. it just cant be done. SO what we have to do as parents now is go out WITH them. i have to be with him when he plays outside, i have to be able to watch etc. which means he is not going to be out as much as we were.

the only thing we can do is be much more careful about diet and try to get them to do some sort of exercise each day.

a few apple slices that add up to maybe a small apple coupled sugary caramel, some fries and a burger is going to make NO DIFFERENCE whatsoever. fast food needs to become a treat again--the way it was when we were kids, not an every day meal.
Back when I was a kid in the 1980's, we used to play outside all the time, especially in good weather and up to dark as well.

I'm not a statistics nerd, but AFAIK the crime rate is lower in the USA now than it was back then.

I think it's the media that generates all this fear out there, which definitely there is some legitimate concern for ones safety you always have to exercise, but it can be overblown if parents aren't letting their kids play.

And kids definitely need exercise these days.

Also when I was growing up a "happy meal" was a once or twice a week thing in summer and pretty uncommon during the school year. It was a big treat for us.

If parents are feeding kids those everyday then they need their head examined, I would agree.

If consumers really want apples instead of fries, cool, but some of this stuff is getting out of hand. I see an attack on anything in society that feels good, tastes good, smells good, sounds good. Sometimes that attack is subtle but these nanny state commies are trying to take over.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Back when I was a kid in the 1980's, we used to play outside all the time, especially in good weather and up to dark as well.

I'm not a statistics nerd, but AFAIK the crime rate is lower in the USA now than it was back then.

I think it's the media that generates all this fear out there, which definitely there is some legitimate concern for ones safety you always have to exercise, but it can be overblown if parents aren't letting their kids play.

And kids definitely need exercise these days.

Also when I was growing up a "happy meal" was a once or twice a week thing in summer and pretty uncommon during the school year. It was a big treat for us.

If parents are feeding kids those everyday then they need their head examined, I would agree.

If consumers really want apples instead of fries, cool, but some of this stuff is getting out of hand. I see an attack on anything in society that feels good, tastes good, smells good, sounds good. Sometimes that attack is subtle but these nanny state commies are trying to take over.

It does seem a bit much to me, too.

Customers have had the choice of apples over fries for years. But many of us were still opting to get the fries for our kids - we had our reasons.

Now the decision is being made for us - if you want a Happy Meal for your kid you will get these apple slices in place of some of your fries. Where is the choice in that?

Old 11-18-2011, 10:04 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times
Post News, McDonald's Dumps McMuffin Egg Factory Over Health Concerns.

McDonald's will be looking for a new source of eggs for many of its hugely popular Egg McMuffins.

The fast food company says it "will no longer accept" eggs from one of the country's biggest egg companies, Sparboe Farms, that is the subject of an ABC News investigation to be broadcast Friday on "20/20" and "World News with Diane Sawyer" and was cited Thursday by the Food and Drug Administration for "significant…and serious violations" in the production of eggs.

McDonald's Dumps McMuffin Egg Factory Over Health Concerns - Yahoo!

Old 11-18-2011, 11:01 PM

668 posts, read 2,186,102 times
Yea, every time someone gets a wild hair up thier toilets, they scream about this or that, and, the practise has been going on for many years!!

Chickens that cant get out of their cages and forced to lay eggs... The eggs are still good, but, the group that investgated them, showed some conditions that were 'unsavory' to the soft hearted mind, so they want them and others shut down... Just aint gonna happen, or, all grocery stores will stop selling eggs, because all big egg productions are done this way...

Farm animals are for food production and PETA can stay out of the barn housing the cow Im gonna get my next steak from!!!

I wish you well...

Jesse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink