Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2007, 01:11 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

This was REALLY interesting......

http://www.fekids.com/img/kln/flash/...utTheWorld.swf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 10:57 AM

656 posts, read 2,315,567 times
It was very interesting, yes, however the creator was too busy worrying about insulting ficticious chefs rather than the test-taker. If you got a low score, you received a "better stay in your own country" and if you got them all right you got a "you clear to travel the globe!" Both comments are insulting for different reasons.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:21 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1979 View Post
It was very interesting, yes, however the creator was too busy worrying about insulting ficticious chefs rather than the test-taker. If you got a low score, you received a "better stay in your own country" and if you got them all right you got a "you clear to travel the globe!" Both comments are insulting for different reasons.
Too bad it didn't really try to teach good table manners for people in this country . So many Americans don't understand that is is NOT O.K to stack dishes in a nice restaurant after the meal to "help the waiter". They don't know how to properly hold their fork and knife nor do they know the proper way to leave their utensils on their plate after they've finished eating. Some people think it is perfectly fine to loudly chew with their mouth open while talking and spewing food out over others at the table at the same time. it is really sad. Some of these people are very nice people too.

In fact, I would like to know what the most diplomatic way is to ask someone--- especially a friend with slovenly table manners that does not know any better--- not to chew with their mouth opened without hurting their feelings-- because it REALLY grosses me out!

Now I just try to never sit across the table from him where I have to both watch and listen. Sitting on the side, at least limits the disgusting view.

Any suggestions?

Old 10-01-2007, 12:29 AM

656 posts, read 2,315,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Too bad it didn't really try to teach good table manners for people in this country.
Yeah, that's what parents and Emily Post are for. "Don't chew with your mouth open!", "elbows off the table!", "don't slouch!", and "don't drag the fork across your teeth!", were all common phrases at my parent's dinner table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
So many Americans don't understand that is is NOT O.K to stack dishes in a nice restaurant after the meal to "help the waiter". They don't know how to properly hold their fork and knife nor do they know the proper way to leave their utensils on their plate after they've finished eating. Some people think it is perfectly fine to loudly chew with their mouth open while talking and spewing food out over others at the table at the same time. it is really sad. Some of these people are very nice people too.

In fact, I would like to know what the most diplomatic way is to ask someone--- especially a friend with slovenly table manners that does not know any better--- not to chew with their mouth opened without hurting their feelings-- because it REALLY grosses me out!

Now I just try to never sit across the table from him where I have to both watch and listen. Sitting on the side, at least limits the disgusting view.

Any suggestions?
When someone is unconsciously doing something I dislike, I usually "make a faux pas." This entails doing the annoying habit, then excusing myself. "Oh! I'm terribly sorry to talk with my mouth full. I just can't stand it myself." Unless you have incredibly dense friends, that should make them aware of what they're doing. If they do it again, then it's not rude to say "Would it be possible for you to not talk with your mouth full, please? It's making me uncomfortable." After that, you're in the right to let them have it. Maybe something witty like "finish your food, then your thought." Habit is ten times stronger than the force of gravity. You may have to ask nicely on other occasions too. Repetition is the only way to cure someone of bad table manners.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:03 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,404 times
Ooh, had to share this one...

In the 90's my sister was about to marry her husband, who is Dutch. His family came for dinner for the first time about a week before they married, and we had a shock. Apparently it is okay to pick your teeth at the table as long as you cover your mouth with your hand in the Netherlands. Boy were we revolted! We talked about it later that evening and came to the concensus that if it was their thing then so be it; at least no one had anything in their teeth. Later on we found out that they were revolted that we ate french fries with our hands. Brother-in-law and I laugh about the whole thing now.

Art1979, that "faux pas" thing is a great idea!

Old 10-01-2007, 01:04 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1979 View Post
Yeah, that's what parents and Emily Post are for. "Don't chew with your mouth open!", "elbows off the table!", "don't slouch!", and "don't drag the fork across your teeth!", were all common phrases at my parent's dinner table.

When someone is unconsciously doing something I dislike, I usually "make a faux pas." This entails doing the annoying habit, then excusing myself. "Oh! I'm terribly sorry to talk with my mouth full. I just can't stand it myself." Unless you have incredibly dense friends, that should make them aware of what they're doing. If they do it again, then it's not rude to say "Would it be possible for you to not talk with your mouth full, please? It's making me uncomfortable." After that, you're in the right to let them have it. Maybe something witty like "finish your food, then your thought." Habit is ten times stronger than the force of gravity. You may have to ask nicely on other occasions too. Repetition is the only way to cure someone of bad table manners.
Those are good ways to ask. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink