Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 02:48 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times

Advertisements

Ever sort through a pile of apples, oranges, tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers (or whatever) at the grocery store, rejects tossed aside, and you pick the healthier-looking ones and you don't hear some faint voices, like:

"Hey! I went thru this whole growing/ripening journey and transport by truck to give some pleasure to someone's life, and you're rejecting me because I'm not as good-looking as the others?"

"What will become of me if no one wants me? All that work for nothing!!!"

I sometimes go thru this in the meat department, too, like choosing a package of less lean beef over the fattier pieces of another package. That poor cow, it tried so hard, and now I'm rejecting it!"

Please don't do an investigation, find out my true name and address and have me helicoptered to an insane asylum, all I'm looking for, even if 100 posters recommend my commitment, is one person who will post:

"Hey, I share your feelings! And if you think you're crazy, I've got news for you!"

I've bought ugly-looking oranges that I merely felt sorry for, as who else would buy them!! And they were tasty!!

Last edited by tijlover; 03-09-2012 at 03:05 AM.. Reason: edit/add line
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 07:37 AM

653 posts, read 946,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Ever sort through a pile of apples, oranges, tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers (or whatever) at the grocery store, rejects tossed aside, and you pick the healthier-looking ones and you don't hear some faint voices, like:

"Hey! I went thru this whole growing/ripening journey and transport by truck to give some pleasure to someone's life, and you're rejecting me because I'm not as good-looking as the others?"

"What will become of me if no one wants me? All that work for nothing!!!"

I sometimes go thru this in the meat department, too, like choosing a package of less lean beef over the fattier pieces of another package. That poor cow, it tried so hard, and now I'm rejecting it!"

Please don't do an investigation, find out my true name and address and have me helicoptered to an insane asylum, all I'm looking for, even if 100 posters recommend my commitment, is one person who will post:

"Hey, I share your feelings! And if you think you're crazy, I've got news for you!"

I've bought ugly-looking oranges that I merely felt sorry for, as who else would buy them!! And they were tasty!!
lol I admit. I sometimes do this, too.

I always shucked it up to having an overly active imagination as a product of being an only child. lol

But now reading you type it "out loud", it sounds more like extreme empathy (which is a charming quality).

Whatever the reason one is compelled to select the ugliest fruit in the bin, there's nothing wrong with it. SOMEONE has to buy those less than perfect oranges that taste just as good anyway.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:30 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,685,123 times
Hahahah... only in my "dreams".
I love food too much to have a real life guilt trip.
Can't feel that guilty if I really don't even like to waste food.
Can't say that for others though... say that grocery manager w/ the expired cans etc. or that person who is picky & does not finish their food.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:32 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
If I don't buy them, I know my supermarket will mark them down tonight, and someone struggling to pay for groceries will buy them discounted.

I have other criteria for selection. If they're sold by the piece or by pre-weighed package, I weigh them and buy the heaviest one. If they're sold by the pound, I buy smaller ones, because things like tomatoes, I eat a whole one, and a pound will last longer if I buy small ones.

Among the 3# bags of onion, they all weigh over 3 pounds and I recently got one that was 3.6 pounds One pound bags of carrots are always about 1.15 pounds, so three of them are cheaper than a 3# bag. Plastic tubs of strawberries are highly variable in weight.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:38 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
The only time food ever talks to me is when I'm shoving an Oreo in my mouth and it says "hey, I'm gonna land right on your hips, and you'll never get rid of me!"

Old 03-09-2012, 09:50 AM

653 posts, read 946,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
The only time food ever talks to me is when I'm shoving an Oreo in my mouth and it says "hey, I'm gonna land right on your hips, and you'll never get rid of me!"
lol Right?!

Old 03-09-2012, 03:36 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,225,641 times
LOL I seriously am cracking up! No, I've never done that, but you are really funny!

Old 03-09-2012, 07:28 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,017,674 times
This actually reminds me of an episode of the 1980s show "Tales from the Darkside". I believe the episode title was "Love Hungry" where a lady wishes for a way to lose weight, and gets it in the form of being able to see and hear food talking to her and screaming not to be eaten.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:33 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
I saw that episode not long ago on Chiller channel. Really weird, having the fruit talking to that strange woman. As for Tij, I recommend some counseling while locked in the asylum.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:01 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,000,687 times
My son's dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets talk to him "don't eat my tail, NOOOOOOOOO".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink